BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-10-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Power surges - continued

My car continues to have these nasty power surges. No codes so the dealers can't, won't do anything. The surges are totally random. No specific speed, RPM or anything repeatable.

So far I've done:

Plugs
Coil packs
Walnut blasting

A freind suggested that maybe there is something wrong with the throttle - Gas pedal unit or other sensor.

So I am looking for feedback and help to determine what I might ckeckout. Are there potentiometers in the throttle that may be going bad. Some other sensor that has input to that loop perhaps.

Oh yeah. It also does it with the Cruise on, which is why I am asking about another sensor perhaps.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 12:11 PM   #2
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

bump
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 04:59 PM   #3
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Few views but no suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
LDmc85
Rep
Drives: 2010 N54 135i

Sounds to me like a boost issue, could be a plethora of other things. Are you running stock CP? If so that'd be the first thing to check.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Maybe some more info... N54 or N55 ? Manual, auto or DCT ? How many miles?

When you had the carbon cleaning - I assume at a dealer? And they replaced all the intake gaskets and did not reuse them? That could cause a vacuum leak.

You could get a OBDII dongle/bluetooth connector like this one...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...then use an app like "Torque" or "BmWhat" to check for codes(and clear them!) and also monitor the engine functions, like throttle position, vacuum, load, etc.

One thing that comes to mind is your spark plugs. A lot of people don't think spark plugs make any difference whether they are bought from BMW or a discount shop. But it does. The BMW sold ones are different in the internal ceramic design. I've read here on 1Addicts and on the e90forum that aftermarket plugs can cause drivability issues. Like ignition missing or surging. I would look into what spark plugs were used. Also N54 plugs are different from N55 plugs.

Another thing that comes to mind IF your engine is a N55 is the vanos bolts. Maybe your vanos unit is shifting the cam timing while cruising at a steady speed.

good luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 10:46 PM   #6
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Maybe some more info... N54 or N55 ? Manual, auto or DCT ? How many miles?

When you had the carbon cleaning - I assume at a dealer? And they replaced all the intake gaskets and did not reuse them? That could cause a vacuum leak.

You could get a OBDII dongle/bluetooth connector like this one...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...then use an app like "Torque" or "BmWhat" to check for codes(and clear them!) and also monitor the engine functions, like throttle position, vacuum, load, etc.

One thing that comes to mind is your spark plugs. A lot of people don't think spark plugs make any difference whether they are bought from BMW or a discount shop. But it does. The BMW sold ones are different in the internal ceramic design. I've read here on 1Addicts and on the e90forum that aftermarket plugs can cause drivability issues. Like ignition missing or surging. I would look into what spark plugs were used. Also N54 plugs are different from N55 plugs.

Another thing that comes to mind IF your engine is a N55 is the vanos bolts. Maybe your vanos unit is shifting the cam timing while cruising at a steady speed.

good luck,
Dackel
If you have a jb4, those programs don't work to monitor the engine. Already bought one and the apps. The apps won't read the obdII protocol because something with the jb4. It will connect with your phone but the programs won't connect to the car. They just keep trying and saying obdII protocol error. Heard there weren't any problems without the Jb4. Not worth it for me to take it out and try again. Atleast with stupid, crap iOS it doesn't work.

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 09:02 AM   #7
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

N54. AT. 103K. BMW Plugs. There are no codes which makes this incredibly difficult. Grabbing at straws now...
Appreciate 0