BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-10-2014, 04:55 PM   #23
zakyzozo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 MSport

Went to the dealer today, engine was in and the car was running. It was so nice to see the beast again. They are finishing up with it and the insurance company is dropping payment to them on monday. So I will have it back on monday or tuesday and am going to buy the PE exhaust as a welcome home present.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 08:45 AM   #24
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

This thread has made me put a few rat traps in the corners of my old detached garage!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 02:15 PM   #25
w3rkn
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakyzozo View Post
I purchased a 2011 135i two months ago, it originally had 12K miles. It is an absolute pleasure to drive. While trying to leave work one afternoon, my car would not start. At first it made a clicking noise like my starter had died. The third time, it sounded like my engine through a rod. I had it towed to the dealer. Two days later, they contacted me and said that a rat had chewed through my wiring harness, and had got caught in the serpentine belt causing it to twist. To make things worse, it caused one of the pulleys to break, and when it did, it took a part of the block with it. Therefore, I will need a new engine. The dealer suggested I contact my insurance company and open a claim, as this was not covered by warranty. After almost two weeks, the insurance company agreed to replace my engine at a cost of $18K. So I called the dealer today and approved the work to be done. I am excited to finally make some progress, as I was hanging in limbo not knowing whether the insurance company was going to total my car or pay for a new engine. Although my original engine only had 15K miles, it will be nice to have a new engine and know exactly how it was taking care of from the beginning. And I assume since the new engine should come with the flywheel attached, I will also get a new clutch. Attached is a picture of the rat and the cracked block. I appreciate anyone's opinions regarding having a new engine installed, how this may or may not impact the resale value, and anything else I should be aware of, or would like to comment on. More to follow.

Don't forget, you get to keep your old engine...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 09:29 PM   #26
zakyzozo
Captain
United_States
Rep

I was supposed to pick the car up today. My insurance company did me a favor and dropped off the check so the dealer could release the car to me. Woot Woot STATE FARM. I called my SA to check on my car. He advised that as result of the car sitting for 5 weeks, the battery went bad and they issued a supplemental request to the insurance company to pay for it. So I said, well the car is still covered under the free maintenance so just put the battery in and let me come get my car. SA said they could not do it. I said, I will come pick up the car and bring it back on Friday, since my PE exhaust will be in on Thursday, and I want them to install it. The SA said he could not do that because the claim, already paid, is still open as a result of them issuing the supplement request. So after 6 weeks I am done, ready to be back in my car, and growing more frustrated by the hour. I think the dealer should have just put the battery in and called it a day, as an act of good faith. Anyway, I called my insurance company and they are trying to expedite the request. If I do not hear from my SA by 2pm tomorrow, I am going over to talk to the service manager. After all, I am making car payments, insurance payments, and driving a loaner. At this point I am considering changing dealerships. I think the whole situation was poorly handled. More to follow.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 09:32 PM   #27
zakyzozo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3rkn View Post
Don't forget, you get to keep your old engine...
It is just a long block. What am I going to do with it. Besides, do you think the insurance company would allow that? Is there any money to be made from the old engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #28
zakyzozo
Captain
United_States
Rep

I contacted the insurance company today, BMW issued a supplement request for $223 for the replacement of the battery. They will try to send an adjuster to the dealer tomorrow. So maybe Thursday I will get the car back. Unless the insurance company denies payment, which is very possible because they think the charges are erroneous. Then I will have to start fighting with BMW.

Last edited by zakyzozo; 01-14-2014 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 07:57 PM   #29
zakyzozo
Captain
United_States
Rep

My insurance company denied part of the claim today for replacement of the battery. The dealer advised for me to bring it in just before the warranty expires. Despite the frustration throughout this process, I do want to extend my appreciation to my SA for taking care of the warranty items and doing what is warranted within his power. I will finally pickup my car tomm, looking forward to finally being back in the beast.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 05:53 AM   #30
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Interesting that they did not follow SIB 61 18 03 which requires a 4 week charging interval for cars in inventory. The SIB is for new and used cars in inventory, but you would think the service center would understand the risk of letting the battery discharge.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 12:25 PM   #31
zakyzozo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Picked up the car on thursday, it appears to be running well. Will have to go back for a few minor adjustments but overall happy to be driving it again. I received the PE on thursday as well, went to a local muffler shop for them to do the install friday. It finally sounds like it should. I absolutely love the sound it makes. I do hear a few crackles and pops which I like but heard that it can be even better with the PPK. So now I am poundering the thought of that. But first I am just trying to get used to the car again. Oh btw I installed a new steering wheel and it feels much better than the factory cheapo, thinking about sending it to cobywheel to have it wrapped.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 08:35 PM   #32
zakyzozo
Captain
United_States
Rep

So its been great to have the car back, changed out the steering wheel, added the BMW PE, and darker tints. I am noticing that the car rips in first gear, but when im driving and downshift thw turbo does not seem to pull like it used to. Before at around 3k rpms i could feel the turbo kick in and start pulling. Is it possible the car had a previous tune? Do I just need to put more miles on the new engine? Granted I have been driving it like a grandpa most of the time and shift around 3k. Should I be driving it harder so the computer adapts? Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #33
Black Flagged
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

we had a rat once chew threw our wiring harness on our E90. i should have realized it happen in the morning when the dog had grease all over her back, didn't think to much about it even after the car would not start... took the car in and the SA had told us that a rat chewed up some wiring at first i did not believe him but after they showed us the wiring, i was like damnthats when it hit me about the dog and the grease on her back...but never less they fixed it at my expensive
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 10:24 PM   #34
brew99
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i Year One of the 1

Had a similar issue a few years back although it was a large mouse. I saw the bugger jump up under my car as I went out to the garage one night. It would then not get out of my engine compartment no matter what I did. I even took the car for a vigorous spin onto the highway and got the engine temp way up and sure enough he was still in there. I got my hose out and soaked the whole engine compartment, would not leave. Rats and mice have to chew things to keep their teeth from growing to quickly so I was quite worried about engine damage. He must of finally left as I took the car to the dealer the next day and there was no sign of him. I still get a faint rat smell every now and then when the air or heater comes on.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 06:16 AM   #35
RideThePigGir
Mr. Tinnitus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 BlueWaterMetallic 135 M-cpe

Shame there's no party you can sue to recoup your auto loan payment(s) from all the time the car was left sitting. I would honestly go after the dealer for reimbursement of the battery price - unless the warranty covered it? - as it was their malfeasance which caused the battery to die in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 11:58 PM   #36
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Glad to hear everything is working out and I did not know the N55 cost $18k! Thats almost what a LS9 cost (the engine the ZR1 has).
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 06:37 AM   #37
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakyzozo View Post
So its been great to have the car back, changed out the steering wheel, added the BMW PE, and darker tints. I am noticing that the car rips in first gear, but when im driving and downshift thw turbo does not seem to pull like it used to. Before at around 3k rpms i could feel the turbo kick in and start pulling. Is it possible the car had a previous tune? Do I just need to put more miles on the new engine? Granted I have been driving it like a grandpa most of the time and shift around 3k. Should I be driving it harder so the computer adapts? Any thoughts?
Sounds like BMW might have "updated" your SW level. BMW has a habit of detuning our cars thru SW updates. Is the engine much quieter on startup(cold) and also at idle(warm)? Do you have to press down on the throttle 1/2 to 3/5th(further) to get the same accel/power as you did before at 1/4 throttle opening? Then you my friend have had your SW updated. It sucks.

IF you get a PPK it will restore the performance. An added bonus is more popping and crackling with the PE. Thats the route I would recommend.

You did not say when your warranty runs out... but don't forget that all the parts that were replaced by your dealer will have a TWO YEAR unlimited mileage warranty - even IF your basic warranty ends today, you are still cover for two years from the date you pick up the car.

I would also recommend you to change the oil a few times and take it easy until you put on 1,200 miles. After that you can gradually be more aggressive and treat the engine like you stole it!

Good Luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 11:02 PM   #38
zakyzozo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Sounds like BMW might have "updated" your SW level. BMW has a habit of detuning our cars thru SW updates. Is the engine much quieter on startup(cold) and also at idle(warm)? Do you have to press down on the throttle 1/2 to 3/5th(further) to get the same accel/power as you did before at 1/4 throttle opening? Then you my friend have had your SW updated. It sucks.

IF you get a PPK it will restore the performance. An added bonus is more popping and crackling with the PE. Thats the route I would recommend.

You did not say when your warranty runs out... but don't forget that all the parts that were replaced by your dealer will have a TWO YEAR unlimited mileage warranty - even IF your basic warranty ends today, you are still cover for two years from the date you pick up the car.

I would also recommend you to change the oil a few times and take it easy until you put on 1,200 miles. After that you can gradually be more aggressive and treat the engine like you stole it!

Good Luck,
Dackel
Thanks for the input, I was fearing I might have the new update I cannot tell about the pressing down on the throttle, I usually just stomp on it. I thought BMW was working on a software reverse because of numerous complaints? How can I tell what update I have so I can verify I have the crap tune? The car is currently back at the dealer and they are looking into it. I am also having the oil changed, of course they are not paying for it. So if they cant find anything, then I will buy the PPK and call it a day.
Appreciate 0