BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-21-2019, 12:07 PM   #23
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
It does seem a little too good to be true, but I'm not dead-set on anything until it's in my hands to be installed...
If they are buying the dampers from Ohlins, either already valved that way or re-valved them in-house, I guess it could be done. Buying complete kits and offer that option wouldn't be possible at the price point.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2019, 12:05 PM   #24
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
I ordered the Ohlins (not surprising, honestly)!

-60N/mm 7" front Ohlins springs
-160N/mm rear Swift springs
-1M Valving
-$2225 shipped

I'm super excited, and I'll be putting the install process on my "build" thread (link in signature).

Thank you to everyone who inputted for your inputting. I kinda knew what I was going to end-up with, but I'd like to be as informed as possible before making such a large decision. Thank you!
      06-21-2019, 08:14 PM   #25
ornicar
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 125i

Quote:
I ordered the Ohlins (not surprising, honestly)!

-60N/mm 7" front Ohlins springs
-160N/mm rear Swift springs
-1M Valving
-$2225 shipped

I'm super excited, and I'll be putting the install process on my "build" thread (link in signature).

Thank you to everyone who inputted for your inputting. I kinda knew what I was going to end-up with, but I'd like to be as informed as possible before making such a large decision. Thank you!
Hey,

Did you have the time to fitted your Ohlins???

Interrested about your feedback.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 09:37 PM   #26
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ornicar View Post
Hey,

I installed them a while ago, yes.

They're simply amazing. Well worth every penny they cost, and I have zero regrets. If I didn't track the car so much, I'd be looking into softer springs. With the front sway bar removed, the balance is phenomenal; it slides and plows on command and just has a wonderful balance to it. The damping from the Ohlins is fantastic; it's controlled, but not brutally so. They're extremely refined, and feel like they were meant to be on the car. The gain in ride height is great, as the car is usable and properly daily-drivable again (I can BOMB backroads without much regard for bumps or railroad tracks now).

They're really something special, and completely transformed the car. I need to do a little more adjustment to both the ride height and the damper settings (I think I've set them too low).
Gangplank1539.50
ornicar134.50
      06-22-2019, 03:18 PM   #27
ornicar
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 125i

Quote:
Quote:
Hey,

They're simply amazing. Well worth every penny they cost, and I have zero regrets. If I didn't track the car so much, I'd be looking into softer springs. With the front sway bar removed, the balance is phenomenal; it slides and plows on command and just has a wonderful balance to it. The damping from the Ohlins is fantastic; it's controlled, but not brutally so. They're extremely refined, and feel like they were meant to be on the car. The gain in ride height is great, as the car is usable and properly daily-drivable again (I can BOMB backroads without much regard for bumps or railroad tracks now).

They're really something special, and completely transformed the car. I need to do a little more adjustment to both the ride height and the damper settings (I think I've set them too low).
Thanks a lot for your thorough feedback. With no track day you would have choosen softer springs for Front, Rear or both? Thanks.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2019, 06:36 PM   #28
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey,

Thanks a lot for your thorough feedback. With no track day you would have choosen softer springs for Front, Rear or both? Thanks.
Both. Springs should be matched with each other.
      06-22-2019, 06:41 PM   #29
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
I agree. I have the Ohlins R&T
* F 7" 342 lb. (60 N/mm)
* R 10" 672 lb. (120 N/mm)

If I was to do it over for my DD I'd get one step softer springs. Don't get me wrong the car drives fantastic but I think one step softer would have been perfect.
      06-22-2019, 09:48 PM   #30
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
I agree. I have the Ohlins R&T
* F 7" 342 lb. (60 N/mm)
* R 10" 672 lb. (120 N/mm)

If I was to do it over for my DD I'd get one step softer springs. Don't get me wrong the car drives fantastic but I think one step softer would have been perfect.
I'm at 70N/mm and 160N/mm, front and rear. One or two steps softer would be optimal for daily use. But, they're perfect for track use, particularly the rough tracks we have around here. Maybe I'll acquire a set of off-season springs to soften it out and improve traction for the winter months...
      08-06-2019, 10:25 PM   #31
davidwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328,325, 325, 335, X5, 640 GC

I have the ohlins from 3DM valved (on my e90) for 700/1000 lb springs. Getting ready to hit my first track weekend with them this weekend!
Appreciate 1
bbnks21206.50
      08-07-2019, 07:38 AM   #32
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:

Not sure about Ohlins, but, strut length might become an issue if you go any softer. You'll end up sitting lower with softer springs and you might run out of height adjustment to gain it back. Just keep that in mind if you're looking to go softer to retain the plush ride.
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2019, 06:55 PM   #33
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren View Post
I have the ohlins from 3DM valved (on my e90) for 700/1000 lb springs. Getting ready to hit my first track weekend with them this weekend!
Enjoy! I absolutely LOVE mine on the track.

If you really want some sideways action, you can disconnect the front sway bar with those spring rates. Just be prepared; it takes it to S2000 levels of twitchy...
      08-11-2019, 06:58 PM   #34
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Not sure about Ohlins, but, strut length might become an issue if you go any softer. You'll end up sitting lower with softer springs and you might run out of height adjustment to gain it back. Just keep that in mind if you're looking to go softer to retain the plush ride.
Yeah, I know fe1rx made a spacer to raise the struts without increasing pre-load. I wish they used the same design like they use for the 1M/M3 struts, where you simply adjust height independent of pre-load...
      08-14-2019, 08:58 AM   #35
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

I got the spacers fe1rx makes to use with my YCW coils. They work nicely to raise the damper body
fe1rx1394.50