BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-06-2017, 01:11 PM   #1
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
XHP TCU Stage 1 Flash Impressions

Hey everyone, yesterday I flashed the XHP TCU stage 1 flash along with the new MHD XHP DME flash and here are my impressions:

Pros:
1. Manual shifts are much faster and smoother. I've never driven a DCT but I can't imagine it being much faster than this (yes I know it's probably much faster but I wouldn't know)

2. The gear display on the gauge cluster in all modes is kind of neat

3. Just as simple and easy to flash as MHD

4. The car felt faster. I'm not sure if this is due to the transmission shifting faster, the new MHD flash, or because of cool, 50 degree, dry, Oregon autumn air.

5. Car felt silky smooth, even on cold start

Cons:
1. Regular D is annoying. The car is always a gear or two too high. It'll be in 6th at 40 mph. This in itself wouldn't be an issue until you push the gas peddle. Instead of downshifting when you apply about 50% throttle it's stays in 6th and makes the car louder like you're overlugging the engine (asking for more power from the engine than the current gear can handle). Once you push down to about 75% it'll downshift but then immediately upshift into the highest possible gear. This is especially annoying on the highway.

2. The car no longer engine brakes when you manually downshift. I found myself having to push harder on the brakes during spirited driving entering corners when I'd normally brake and down shift

I did not have a chance to try S because my sport mode isn't working so I do not have any feedback on that.

All in all, my opinion is that it's a neat product but definitely not a must have as far as paying for the flash is concerned. I would highly recommend downloading the app if just for TCU code reading, which is free.

I tried it out for a day, wasn't sold. I just reflashed the stock tcu flash and normal MHD stage 1 flash.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 01:24 AM   #2
fast1eddy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Lemans Blue

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I have no idea what your talking about. My car is always in the gear I want it to be because I drive a manual.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 01:29 AM   #3
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast1eddy View Post
I have no idea what your talking about. My car is always in the gear I want it to be because I drive a manual.
😂
Appreciate 0