BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-21-2009, 08:10 PM   #23
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by adk749 View Post
My apologies in advance if this has already been covered, but I am in a bit of a panic and in no frame of mind to do a comprehensive search. I just got my snows on, and for the second time I am getting a yellow warning light up on my dash when accelerating. It first flashed up after going around a soft right turn. I was not going hard on the accelerator nor going around the turn very hard. It would then flash up on the dash when I went full throttle, and at that point the the car would go to about 50% power. When I would let off the accelerator the light would go out. Step on it again, hard on the accelerator, and the light flashes back on and 50% power. Does this have anything to do with the snow tires not being able to handle the power of the car? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated! By the way, it is a very nice night in NJ tonight - 50 degrees and clear (if that matters).
Snow tires are meant for SNOW. They suck on dry roads, especially in relative "warm" 50F temps
Also, be careful, stopping distance on dry roads is pretty bad too.
That's why I don't recommend snow tires in areas where you don't have much snow on the ground during winter.
Get a good set of all seasons and simply drive cautiously on days when there is snow until it gets cleared away.

Yes, it has everything to do with snow tires on dry roads and "warm" weather.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2009, 08:18 PM   #24
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by adk749 View Post
I put on Blizzak LM-60 XL's, per Gill's recommendation. Thanks everyone for the thoughtful explanations, I now feel better. I will not be disabling any of the traction control systems on the car, have no fear. Gtigyver, thanks for the refresher lesson about the difference between speed and velocity :-).
If you disable the traction control in those road conditions with snow tires, you'll be wondering what the heck just happened when the rear swings out and wants to swap ends with the front.
Turning the traction control off is going to make it worse.
Your tires are LOSING traction and don't have enough to maintain grip given the curve and your speed. Don't think that turning the traction control off is going to help give you more traction. You'll still have the same poor level of traction due to your tires and you won't have the aid of the control assistance.
You better be vigilant in your driving and be prepared to provide the proper control you just turned off.

Traction control is there for when you do NOT have enough traction.
It's apparent with your tires and the road conditions, you do not have enough traction. I advise against turning the system off.
I do recommend understanding what snow tires are for and when you need them.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #25
wtzouris
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xDrive Sports Wagon

Hi everybody, I actually enjoyed the dialogue about Traction Control/DTC. It was exactly the thread I was looking for this evening.
I just spent a day driving my 2010 135i with (4, of course) winter tires (Nokian Hakkapelliita R Runflats) and I too was surprised by how much the Traction control warning was coming on. Granted, I was doing some spirited driving. But we have really crappy weather here in my part of NY, and lots of ice and snow, so I'm happy with the trade-off. I did enjoy driving today with the DTC program ON. I found no great loss of control (It was a sunny dry 35 degree day) and the traction control light did not come on at all. So I think I might do the DTC program in the dry weather winter days.

Now I want to drive it with the wider Goodyear NCT5 RunOnFlat tires in the summer and see if I can get the traction light to warn! I just think all that light flashing means that I am wearing out the rear brake pads..... If the car had a limited slip differential, how would that change the handling of power to the rear wheels? Could you lock the rear driving wheels under hard acceleration? Wouldn't that be better than braking the wheel that is losing traction with an open differential? (That's what the 135i has, right?)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 11:11 PM   #26
moveswiftly
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4, 135i

Garage List
2012 335iS  [0.00]
My brand new bridestone blizzaks did this for the first 300-500 miles. now it doesnt' happen any more

Gone but not forgotten: Cayman GT4, M2C, 2011 135i, E83 X3 6MT, 2016 SO M3, 2012 335iS, 2010 135i and 2006 e90 325xi
Appreciate 0