BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-24-2009, 06:34 AM   #89
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I think we still have a ways to go, although Eddy probably should have 18" samples or pictures of the 18's very shortly, if he doesn't have them already.

Realistically, I'm thinking Sept for delivery (possibly late Sept).
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 08:44 AM   #90
tjockey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Do you think these would work with coilovers and no camber plates...About 1.75" drop in front....Running GTS-R's right now and wanted to go to 235 tire in front...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 02:57 PM   #91
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I think we still have a ways to go, although Eddy probably should have 18" samples or pictures of the 18's very shortly, if he doesn't have them already.

Realistically, I'm thinking Sept for delivery (possibly late Sept).
No samples or pics yet. Wheels would be seen here within 3-4 months from their starting point. September would be 3 months, and it took a while to get the 4 people to step up, so that we could move on the 1 series wheel. You were the very first person to sign up of those 4, so it adds a few weeks for you. This is why I like to avoid early sign ups and limit the number of people who do. The weight is worth it for a wheel that is the right fitment.

I was notified that the actual mold product is taking longer then normal since they are also producing a number of other molds for their Japanese customers at this time (Some Japanese manufactures outsource to these guys).

So we're looking at this really being more of a 4 month project. which is still not bad considering its start date.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 04:31 PM   #92
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the update, Eddy. Looks like I'll not be able to mount these things until after winter then. No use paying more than a thousand for tires that I can't use for 4 months.

So, you think I'm (personally) looking at a total of 4.5 months then? Definitely very much bumming, if so. That's 6-7 more weeks later than I thought, and it kills me to have that much unused cash sitting in the garage for 5 months, once I get them.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 08:21 AM   #93
arrutled
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Olsa

You have already bought tires larry? Wanna share what sizes you bought?

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 08:41 AM   #94
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrutled View Post
You have already bought tires larry? Wanna share what sizes you bought?
No, have not bought tires for these wheels yet. Am planning on 255/275 Star Specs though. I meant having the wheels sitting in the garage for 5 months, and not wanting to add another grand to that of cash laying in the garage. Having an event or two this year that would allow me to use these things would make it all worthwhile, to purchase tires. I don't think that is going to happen now though.

For the remainder of the season, I'm going to run Kumho V710 R-Comps in class AR.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 09:25 AM   #95
arrutled
Colonel
Rep

255/275 star specs is a lot of rubber. I was planning on 245/265, but if you manage to fit those I will have to change my mind. I never planned on having these wheels this year. gives me some time to gather up some dough for m3 parts(added camber for up front) and tires.

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 07:47 AM   #96
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Paintpro, any update?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 09:42 AM   #97
arrutled
Colonel
Rep

I know larry talked to eddy about a week ago. We are looking at a november delivery

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 07:39 PM   #98
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Eddy.. hope you don't mind, but here's the piece of my email that talks about time frame, that I got 10 days ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpro21
I won't have anything in hand until September, although I've requested high res 3d renderings. Traditionally they only provide one sample unit for each mold, but I've talked to them about sending out a complete 1 series set (random colors, but a true front/rear stagger) that has been fully tested/certified for the load rating we want (1550). Assuming there are no problems, we would have those in Mid to late September. If they were untested (not safe for road use, then we could see untested samples in the first week of September). After that we would see the whole container or wheels arrive in late Early November. So in the overall timing of things, things didn't really change much, it's just the actual tooling process is taking longer due to them creating so many molds simultaneously for so many businesses (their actual production line can handle the load of production).
By "late Early November", I assume Eddy started to type late October, and changed it to Early November. Early November is 3 months from right now.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2009, 02:12 AM   #99
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
updated

1. WhiteSled
2. larryn - hyper silver (I assume that's the RG-R like finish)
3. BERK
4.Izzodesh

Count me in!
Can we try with 5 ppl? I can pay up front
      08-16-2009, 06:25 AM   #100
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzodesh View Post
updated

1. WhiteSled
2. larryn - hyper silver (I assume that's the RG-R like finish)
3. BERK
4.Izzodesh

Count me in!
Can we try with 5 ppl? I can pay up front
Howdy Izzo. These are already in production. Arrutled is paid along with WAY, BERK , and me (I have no idea about WhiteSled, but I do not think so). So we already have the initial fully paid people needed for initial production.

The group buy will come in a month or two, once real samples exist, from what I understand.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2009, 05:13 PM   #101
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
Howdy Izzo. These are already in production. Arrutled is paid along with WAY, BERK , and me (I have no idea about WhiteSled, but I do not think so). So we already have the initial fully paid people needed for initial production.

The group buy will come in a month or two, once real samples exist, from what I understand.
Larry is correct. Normally I would have samples faster but I want to wait until they are fully crash tested and certified. I will then get a complete set (of random colors) over here for test fitting with different tires and on different cars.

We'll do some local testing with a few shops, along with BERK. Things will really speed up around that time, until then updates will be sparse. What that means for 95% of the people is that there will be a very minimal wait with a lot of pre-production information, so we aren't going into it blind
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 02:15 AM   #102
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
Quote:

thanks for update larry
so pay now...and then wheels in..... by when?

sorry tad confused
      08-29-2009, 03:48 PM   #103
RickPDX
RickPDX
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i SGM/2004 360 Modena

I was just checking in on the status. I was under the impression we would see these in September, though I wasn't going to put them on until spring. With the fitment information, it will at least give me something to mull over for tire choices during winter. I did order my BERU TPMS sensors in advance. I saw a good price and thought I would at least spread out the cost. Look forward to test results and a firm delivery date.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 05:30 PM   #104
arrutled
Colonel
Rep

I expect to have them in november

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #105
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep

NEW UPDATES It's been a while since I've provided some important updates.

Production during this season has been taking a lot more time then it did earlier this year. They told me this is happening due to the extra high volume of wheels being produced for all new 2010 model vehicles for major car manufacturers.

A lot has been going on since my last post. All 5 wheel molds are just a few days from being complete. I was originally going to wait and get fully certified and tested samples in addition to a full set of wheels so that we can see mounted pictures. Because of the high number of molds, All the wheels couldn't be shipped until something like October 8th. And that could be delayed 2 weeks if a wheel fails a test and needs additional modification. As great as it would be to have true production samples, it's not needed. I think you all want some usable information now.

New Plan

I know everyone wants to actually see these wheels ASAP, and that is exactly what we are going to do. I've requested they instead send pre-production samples as soon as possible. I'm getting one wheel of every size produced. So I can still do full vehicle test fitting, and even slap some tires onto the wheels. We can mount wheels onto one side of the car, although the two wheels won't be the same color. between all the sizes, I'll have samples of the 4 main colors: Hyper Silver, Hyper Black, Anthracite, Satin Black.

We'll be able to post tire clearance photos, do some test fitting, and everything else that is actually important.

This way we'll have updates to satisfy everyones curiosity. When producing a new wheel, things can be very quiet for a while, and I want to show that some serious progress is being made. Normally I don't discuss a wheel until I have samples in hand. This thread has been around even before the project officially started. So I'm sure you guys are starving for information.

The wheels are being certified to over 700+kgs load rating. So final production strength will not be an issue, as that is higher then required for the BMW application. Street and track testing wouldn't show anything. Our 17's at a lower load rating have survived track abuse by all our customers including e39 5 series owners. The only production variable will be weight. Their weight estimates are usually very accurate. but can fluctuate slightly. No matter what, these wheel be the lightest wheels in a wide fitment for the 1 series.

I anticipate having these samples by September 18th. Each mold needs to be loaded up to produce a single sample, CNC machined, and then painted.

New resources:

The official website for these wheels is almost up and running. I'll post a link to that on Friday or Monday as changes are still being made. It has a custom GroupBuy section to manage this 1 series wheels and more.

There is a facebook fan page: Become a fan on Facebook
The fan page contains photos from every customer that has provided images of the ARC-8 wheels on their car.

We put up a new blog where we'll be posting groupbuy updates and new product releases. Watch this blog page, as we will be announcing an all new 100% 1 series exclusive 19" lightweight wheel for the 1 series. APEX Blog

You can also catch these updates on twitter.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 07:29 PM   #106
arrutled
Colonel
Rep

I got my fingers crossed about getting it right the first time. But I am almost certain they will pass with flying colors. I saw a custom offset rear 9.5" et63 with 285 stuffed out back. So come on October 8th!!

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 12:19 AM   #107
RickPDX
RickPDX
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i SGM/2004 360 Modena

My TPMS sensors arrived today. All I need now are tires: I am most curious to know size recommendations.

Since these are new wheels, I am curious as to the quality tests the wheels must pass.

Paintpro21, can you elaborate or direct me to a website on the matter?

Best regards,

Rick
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 03:35 AM   #108
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickPDX View Post
My TPMS sensors arrived today. All I need now are tires: I am most curious to know size recommendations.

Since these are new wheels, I am curious as to the quality tests the wheels must pass.

Paintpro21, can you elaborate or direct me to a website on the matter?

Best regards,

Rick
Rick,

These 18's are no different then the 17's we previously produced. The wheels go through full VIA and JWL certification. I requested the load rating be higher then the standard requirement for the bmw fitment for a little added strength (with a very marginal weight increase). The wheels go through a bunch of tests. They are x-rayed for porosity, impact tested from a number of angles, leak tested, and load tested with tires mounted and spun for a high number of revolutions (what ever is defined by the JWL and VIA testing requirements). Theres about 10 different tests they go through. This factory's main client is Toyota as a reference. It takes about a month for all the sizes to initially go through the testing. If the wheel fails a test, they go back, redesign the wheel, modify the mold, produce more samples, and start testing all over again. going back usually only takes an extra 2 weeks.

On the 17" project the wheels failed the first test because of me. When they gave me the initial 2d and 3d drawings, and weight estimates, I asked them to please try and shave more weight off the wheel, and hope that the wheels are still strong enough (computers can only estimate strength after all). Well the computer was right. By the time they failed and modified them back to the original design, the wheels were back to the original weights. All I did was waste time.

This time around I requested higher load ratings as mentioned above, and just accepted what ever weight the wheel is. And I'm happy to see that the weights are still very reasonable. Because of this, I'm hoping the wheels pass right off the bat. So as you can see the only error is human (ie. me )

Larry, you don't have to wait until Oct. 8th, as I have samples coming September 18th. While we play around with the samples, the factory will be testing the wheels, and certifying them once they pass. They'll provide information about any changes in added spoke thickness (only affects the back of the spokes by a few millimeters if changes are needed) and how the weight could be affected.

I'm looking forward to unveiling the site
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 08:08 AM   #109
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpro21 View Post
Larry, you don't have to wait until Oct. 8th, as I have samples coming September 18th.
I think you were replying to Andy, not me. All us white 135i guys look the same.

Getting pumped all over again for these. Hope Berk has some 275s on hand for when you get the samples! I can almost smell the group buy starting, once those pics come online.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #110
arrutled
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think you were replying to Andy, not me. All us white 135i guys look the same.

Getting pumped all over again for these. Hope Berk has some 275s on hand for when you get the samples! I can almost smell the group buy starting, once those pics come online.
unfortunately we dont drive alike, I think im about 6mph slower than you at autox on average maybe these wheels will help, lol

Appreciate 0