BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-20-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
1helcat
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i 6spd Dinan stage lll

help does diff exhaust really matter with tune?

hi guys ok so I have a dinan stage 3 tune and stock exhaust..now i want to add exhaust and got a decent quote from a reputable local shop for complete exhaust (from my downpipes back) to a magnaflow muffler 3" with mandrel bends..sounds good well to me anyways so heres my question I went to another shop to talk about suspension work and he noticed I have stock exhaust and I told him what i was going to do and he said I would loose power since I have a dinan tune. he recommends that i get dinan exhaust because the dinan tune is setup for it..now this shop sells dinan products so do you think he is just trying to get me to get my exhaust done by him with dinan exhaust or is there truth about what he is talking about? He said dinans exhaust and intake will have the best performance and my car will loose power with anything else.. I know if i go to the first shop and talk to him he'l prob tell me that the other guy is just trying to sell me his service and vise versa so what do you guys think ? shop1 is a lot cheaper and i even like the berk setup and i found that for half the price online but will i really loose power since the car is tuned for dinan exhaust i meen it kinda makes sense he said if i got exhaust first then a custom tune for that exhaust it would be different but my cars setup for dinan exhaust and anything else will just drop the performance..i obviously want the best performance but don't know if he's just trying to make a sale so what do you guys think? six cuz I have the cash now to do the magna flow or order the berk but if I have to save longer and get dinan I will if its the rite thing to do but now I am all confused...any info appreciated thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 11:56 PM   #2
ldogaigga
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Of course he's trying to sell you stuff! Any exhaust will gain power. Less back pressure. I would just get the custom or berk if I were you.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 12:02 AM   #3
BBBluey
Major
Rep
Drives: very slow and courteous

He's trying to sell you the Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 12:37 AM   #4
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08 135i "Simona"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBluey View Post
He's trying to sell you the Dinan.
x2

get an exhaust, but dont waste your money on the dinan.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 01:37 AM   #5
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
I agree with BBB and Ez.
      04-21-2012, 01:43 AM   #6
1helcat
Rep

yeah thats what I thought too..I fig they would all be almost the same just personal preference i even told him wouldn't any free flowing exhaust be better then stock and fine with my tune since less resistance and he said no dinan has a lot of r&d in theres and is made with the best back pressure for performance blah blah he said there fine for other cars but bmw's are so finally tuned that when you do exhaust it has to be tuned for that exhaust and thats why dinan makes there tune with there (intercooler,oil cooler,exhaust,and intake).. to get 408hp and 440 lb-ft torque any other muffler or exhaust setup the back pressure isn't guna go with my tune making it perform less then it would with dinan.. but thats why i'm asking you guys to see if anyone else has heard of that that has tunes ..thanks for everyone that is leaving there input it kinda makes sense to me what he's saying but still like you guys that have left comments already i still think exhaust is exhaust less restrictive = more flow=better performance regardless of tune or not i think i'll wait a few days see how everyone responds and if nobody agrees with him and thinks he's just trying to sell me to his shop then i'll just go get my exhaust like I was planning thanks you guys and please if you have advise or info about this throw it out there
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 01:56 AM   #7
1helcat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsabor67 View Post
I agree with BBB and Ez.

ya you guys are prob rite..he prob guess since i have dinan mods and tune hel get me to get there exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
BBBluey
Major
Rep
Drives: very slow and courteous

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1helcat View Post
yeah thats what I thought too..I fig they would all be almost the same just personal preference i even told him wouldn't any free flowing exhaust be better then stock and fine with my tune since less resistance and he said no dinan has a lot of r&d in theres and is made with the best back pressure for performance blah blah he said there fine for other cars but bmw's are so finally tuned that when you do exhaust it has to be tuned for that exhaust and thats why dinan makes there tune with there (intercooler,oil cooler,exhaust,and intake).. to get 408hp and 440 lb-ft torque any other muffler or exhaust setup the back pressure isn't guna go with my tune making it perform less then it would with dinan.. but thats why i'm asking you guys to see if anyone else has heard of that that has tunes ..thanks for everyone that is leaving there input it kinda makes sense to me what he's saying but still like you guys that have left comments already i still think exhaust is exhaust less restrictive = more flow=better performance regardless of tune or not i think i'll wait a few days see how everyone responds and if nobody agrees with him and thinks he's just trying to sell me to his shop then i'll just go get my exhaust like I was planning thanks you guys and please if you have advise or info about this throw it out there
Does Dinan make headers/manifold to go with their exhaust for our 1 series to replace downpipes? Backpressure has it's place, but not in your case.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Get Meistershaft it will sound better
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 08:47 PM   #10
1Fasst1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, Jet Black 6MT

Just courious as to how you got a stage 3 tune. Several Dinan dealers I talked to would not do the the stage 3 unless the car had the supporting Dinan upgrades including the Dinan exhaust. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #11
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Yeah he's taking you for a ride... go with your own exhaust setup
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #12
1helcat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Fasst1 View Post
Just courious as to how you got a stage 3 tune. Several Dinan dealers I talked to would not do the the stage 3 unless the car had the supporting Dinan upgrades including the Dinan exhaust. Thanks

you don't need the exhaust or intake to get the software installed you do need the intercooler upgrade and oil cooler upgrade so idk why they told you that
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #13
1helcat
Rep

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 11:44 PM   #14
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

If I was told as big and bad of a lie as that guy told you ("you'll lose power with an exhaust that's not matched to your tune"), I would never go back to the place I heard that from... EVER.

That is shameless, rude, and he is treating you like a chump. Downpipes will net you the most power gains by far, with midpipes in a more distant second, and an axleback in third. The two important things about an aftermarket exhaust are:

1) It is physically bigger for more airflow.

2) The path the air takes is smoother/less turbulent.

If one or both of these conditions are met, the exhaust will be better than your stock exhaust, let your turbos breathe better, allow more air through, and give you at least SOME power gain. The brand DOESN'T matter at all. I am very happy with my Berk midpipes and axleback. They are less restrictive and pretty light. Plenty are very happy with other brands. Honestly, on this car at least, I have noticed that even some of the cheaper exhausts still sound absolutely great.

Downpipes can easily add 20 horses with a tune (usually more), midpipes might net you like 10 hp, while I'd be surprised if you got more than 5 horses out of an axleback. By the time the air reaches the axleback, it has already cooled and condensed quite a bit, and isn't as turbulent, so freeing up room back there won't do much, though it'll help a bit. Cats are usually the biggest offender when it comes to reducing airflow, so since you have an '08 with secondary cats in the midpipes, removing them would get you more decent power gains. The downpipes have the hottest, most expanded (air expands when it heats), most turbulent air, so removing the restrictive cats, increasing the diameter of the pipes, and having smoother bends in the pipes up there have the biggest gains.

Also, nice car! I think the little spikes on top might be too much for some people on here, but I think they're pretty cool/different. BTW, you're missing one

Ever thought about getting some black/gunmetal aftermarket wheels or powder-coating the stock ones to complement the gray/black/tinted look?

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #15
1helcat
Rep

thanks 1speedbike for the info and comment..yeah somebody ripped one of em off
Appreciate 0