BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-11-2020, 03:09 AM   #1
Bambambambee
Rep
Drives: 128I

WTB: 128I Manual Coupe

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
Sold

Item Interest
Hi,

I'm located in the Los Angeles area and in the market for a 128I. I've exhausted pretty much all the marketplaces (Craigslist, Offerup, Ebay, Autotrader, Carfax, classifieds here, etc), and have reached out to every owner/dealership that has one currently listed in this area. I'd LOVE a unicorn just like anyone else but I do not want to play the waiting game and want to scratch my driving itch as soon as possible.

With that said, I am not that picky and want to see as many 128s as possible before making a decision. If anyone is thinking or planning to sell soon, I am interested and would like to connect with you.

Driveable distances preferred (within ~300 miles of LA) but open to longer distances/shipping if the price is right. Let's talk about it!

Please see my requirements/preferences below-

Must haves:
-Manual
-Coupe (sorry no verts, have a Miata for that)
-Clean Title
-Well maintained (regularly maintained & up to date, no major issues)
-Reasonable mileage (up to 130K is reasonable, but still open if slightly above)
-Recalls performed

Nice to haves:
-N52
-Slicktop
-M or Sport package
-Low options (Manual seats, no idrive, etc)
-Performance options or mods (upgraded suspension, exhaust, square wheel/tires, etc)
-Interior: Coral Red, Black
-Colors: Any of the blues, Space Gray, Alpine White

I look forwaed to joining the board as a fellow owner soon.

Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 08:58 AM   #2
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Your interests, price-range, and option list doesn't seem unreasonable, given what you'll put up with in total mileage. I wouldn't put that much emphasis on options since when you find the right car, that might not be a determining factor. I actually preferred power-seats and sunroof on the two 128s I've purchased over the past year-and-a-half. Both have OBC which I prefer when using iPods, Bluetooth, etc. I just don't do well with the tiny radio interface when trying to drive. My other must-haves were leather sport seats, black interior, USB, xenon lights, and a good previous owner. It took a while but when the right one shows up, it usually will just feel right. Call it Carma!

I eventually gave up on dealerships (even though I work at one), and bought my last E39 and both E82s from private individuals. I'd checked with several dealers on ads for 128i manuals but always came away with a bad vibe, or cars with multiple Carfax incidents undisclosed, or an automatic represented as a manual with no pictures of the interior! Nearly every one had been an auction purchase, so they knew little about them, anyway. I also found nearly twice as many convertibles as coupes, but I already have six BMW convertibles and don't need/want another—unless a 507 or 503 falls into my lap!

Where you live certainly makes the task easier. I had to fly and then drive 1,400 miles for my wife's '08 128i Sport, 850-miles for my '13 128 M-sport, and over 550 for my E39 530i 5sp, Sport. And there were a couple of false-starts and flights to Florida before finding the right cars.

Be patient, and keep looking. I'm sure others here who have done the same search will help you when they see something available in your area.

Last edited by BMWCCA1; 11-11-2020 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 09:57 AM   #3
mabrahams
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport 28i

My 128i M-Sport is going up on carsandbids today; it was previously listed here but no major movement. I'll post the link once it's up. Cheers!

Also there is one in CA: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1772276

Last edited by mabrahams; 11-11-2020 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 12:10 PM   #4
Bambambambee
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
Your interests, price-range, and option list doesn't seem unreasonable, given what you'll put up with in total mileage. I wouldn't put that much emphasis on options since when you find the right car, that might not be a determining factor. I actually preferred power-seats and sunroof on the two 128s I've purchased over the past year-and-a-half. Both have OBC which I prefer when using iPods, Bluetooth, etc. I just don't do well with the tiny radio interface when trying to drive. My other must-haves were leather sport seats, black interior, USB, xenon lights, and a good previous owner. It took a while but when the right one shows up, it usually will just feel right. Call it Carma!

I eventually gave up on dealerships (even though I work at one), and bought my last E39 and both E82s from private individuals. I'd checked with several dealers on ads for 128i manuals but always came away with a bad vibe, or cars with multiple Carfax incidents undisclosed, or an automatic represented as a manual with no pictures of the interior! Nearly every one had been an auction purchase, so they knew little about them, anyway. I also found nearly twice as many convertibles as coupes, but I already have six BMW convertibles and don't need/want another—unless a 507 or 503 falls into my lap!

Where you live certainly makes the task easier. I had to fly and then drive 1,400 miles for my wife's '08 128i Sport, 850-miles for my '13 128 M-sport, and over 550 for my E39 530i 5sp, Sport. And there were a couple of false-starts and flights to Florida before finding the right cars.

Be patient, and keep looking. I'm sure others here who have done the same search will help you when they see something available in your area.
Coming from Miatas, creatire comforts like power seats, radio, and even a cold AC are luxuries that I can live without . My experience with dealerships has been the same so far.

I've flown out of state before to purchase a car, but wife really doesnt want me to this time due to COVID, so really hoping to find one within 1 days driving distance. I'm willing to wait for the right one, which hopefully is not too long!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 12:17 PM   #5
Bambambambee
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrahams View Post
My 128i M-Sport is going up on carsandbids today; it was previously listed here but no major movement. I'll post the link once it's up. Cheers!

Also there is one in CA: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1772276
Yes, I was following your FS thread and wondered if it had sold or not. Appreciate it, thanks!

I'm seeing the one you linked this weekend!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 04:16 PM   #6
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambambambee View Post
CI've flown out of state before to purchase a car, but wife really doesnt want me to this time due to COVID, so really hoping to find one within 1 days driving distance. I'm willing to wait for the right one, which hopefully is not too long!
I flew to get my M-sport 6-sp during the pandemic. My wife and kids were worried. I was amazed by the mask-wearing and physical distancing displayed even in the nation's busiest airport. Plus there were'n't many travelers there anyway. The airlines kept the middle seats empty back then, too. But that was Milwaukee months ago. Given what's going on there now, I'm not sure I'd do it again: Over 30% positive testing there right now.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 11:15 AM   #7
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Be patient. The cars are out there but most of us are hanging onto them until covid is over. Once it is, I'm looking at importing a E87/130 from Germany and expect the E82 will go up for sale.
And, I like the thinking of BMWCCA1 in that you'll have to pay a bit more to get a well maintained enthusiast car.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 02:58 PM   #8
tankertoad
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2000 e46 coupe

Here's another (but title/color/distance may not suit you:

2013 BMW 128i Msport RWD 6MT RARE
https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/c...226343376.html
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 04:44 PM   #9
lakefront
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankertoad View Post

That too me is the perfect combo....and within driving distance. Just can't get past the rebuilt title.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 04:50 PM   #10
tankertoad
Private First Class
Rep

I'd get more details. It could be relatively minor body work.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 06:44 PM   #11
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
I'd get more details. It could be relatively minor body work.
Regardless, it's a branded title. If you care nothing about future value, then go for it. Or there might be some state you can re-register it into to "wash" the title. Obviously something happened that caused the branding. Either the insurance company totaled it or something worse.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 07:42 PM   #12
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Quote:

I promise you won’t find a better deal than that right there. If I didn’t have my currently almost identical car, I’d scoop that immediately.

Just my $.02
      11-15-2020, 08:56 PM   #13
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
I promise you won’t find a better deal than that right there. If I didn’t have my currently almost identical car, I’d scoop that immediately.
I'd at least want to know what was replaced to repair the "minor incident". What parts is he referring to when he says: "All body parts are BMW."?
How much original paint is left?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 09:42 PM   #14
Bambambambee
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the link! I'm not entirely opposed to a branded/salvage title so long as the damage and repairs are well documented. I think the most difficult aspect is that I wont be able to inspect in person. Either way, it is worth inquiring into, so I appreciate the lead!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 09:48 PM   #15
tankertoad
Private First Class
Rep

Let us know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 11:14 PM   #16
Bambambambee
Rep

Quote:
Let us know how it goes.
I inquired with the owner of the craigslist ad, and it looks like a solid buy. The car was in a minor accident that caused the hood, front bumper, and radiator core support to get damaged (no frame damage from what I could see). The car was hit from behind at a stop light and pushed into the vehicle in front. I believe the replacement hood and front bumper came from a 135I that had ~40K miles on it, and the core support is a brand new BMW part. However, the rear bumper was never replaced so it has license plate indentations from when it was hit.

Oil filter housing gasket was replaced and a 3SIM/tune was installed. It does not look like there any other leaks and the undercarriage is very clean (no rust).

Unfortunately, shipping is ~$1K and kills the deal for me. I wished it was local.

Seems like I'm finding a bunch for sale on the East coast. Why are all the 128s hoarded on the East coast!? Still holding out for something within driving distance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakefront View Post
That too me is the perfect combo....and within driving distance. Just can't get past the rebuilt title.
You should go check it out in person and see if you can get over the rebuilt title!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 11:19 AM   #17
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Wow, $1K shipping kills the deal; I'm surprised.

I'm a member of BMWCCA; as such, if I see a car far away, I can ask someone in the local BMWCCA chapter to have a look at it for me. And quite possibly someone who owns a 1 series already.

Now, all that being said, I'm in Canada and have bought 4 BMWs in the USA. Did not do what I said above. One was an "accidental" eBay buy but the price was so good, I had a good buffer of money in case something went wrong. Nothing ever did. The other 3 were private sales. Long serious talks with the owners, plus paperwork/pictures received and I then flew to the location [CT, PA, Ga] and bought the car & drove it home. Never had a problem with any of them. Had the E30 for 12 years and the E82 for 9 years now and expect to keep it forever unless I import a E87 from Germany.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 11:40 AM   #18
shootnjunky
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 bmw m3

what happened with this one?

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1772276

you said you were going to check it out..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 02:27 PM   #19
Bambambambee
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootnjunky View Post
what happened with this one?

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1772276

you said you were going to check it out..
Yes, we had scheduled an appointment but car has some issues that he is working through. Im waiting on him to reschedule
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 02:37 PM   #20
Bambambambee
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
Wow, $1K shipping kills the deal; I'm surprised.

I'm a member of BMWCCA; as such, if I see a car far away, I can ask someone in the local BMWCCA chapter to have a look at it for me. And quite possibly someone who owns a 1 series already.

Now, all that being said, I'm in Canada and have bought 4 BMWs in the USA. Did not do what I said above. One was an "accidental" eBay buy but the price was so good, I had a good buffer of money in case something went wrong. Nothing ever did. The other 3 were private sales. Long serious talks with the owners, plus paperwork/pictures received and I then flew to the location [CT, PA, Ga] and bought the car & drove it home. Never had a problem with any of them. Had the E30 for 12 years and the E82 for 9 years now and expect to keep it forever unless I import a E87 from Germany.
Yes, $1K kills the deal. It is a salvaged title vehicle that the owner fixed himself. It is a hard to buy a vehicle that has no paperwork of repairs and that I cant inspect myself. Also, the premium for an M sport just isnt worth it in my case. Im looking to build for STX so items like sport seats or sport suspension have no value to me. They would be "nice to haves" mainly for maintaining value, but that's about it. Like you, im trying to maintain a buffer for maintenance and upgrades. In the end, id rather have a high mileage but well maintained base model than a low mileage salvage title unicorn. Both are hard to come by.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 10:29 AM   #21
blogomir
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw e82 coupe - 6MT

there is one in WA state:
https://offerup.com/item/detail/985123305/
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 10:00 AM   #22
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blogomir View Post
Not surprised it's been listed for a month with no takers. The ad sucks. I don't even see the year listed. The owner is being too "smart" for his own good. For the level of equipment (no Sport or Msport) I think it's easily three-grand overpriced. Maybe it's just me?
Appreciate 0