BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-24-2020, 09:55 PM   #1
twinturbovan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i M Sport Vert

Track and Daily Rub Fix? Help?

Hi 1Addicts,

So I currently have Rotiform LAS-R Wheels and I freaking LOVE them. I dont plan on getting rid of them. Not many 1 Series use them like the Apex wheels. I get a lot of compliments on them. My issue is that I rub in the rear and occassionally in the front.. My wheel specs are as follows:

18x8.5+35
18x9.5+35

I have been told I rub mostly because of old suspension. When I'm on track the rear rubs during hard cornering and if I'm cruising with someone in the back any little bump makes it rub. I'm trying to fix this problem. I would also like to lower it slightly. I do plan on buying Ohlin's but I am doing other stuff to the car before doing that. I am looking at Bilstein B8 Performance Plus Plus Struts and Eibach Springs. Will this help solve my rubbing issue? Will I have to do any adjustments? What is the proper tire size I should be running as well? I have very little knowledge on suspension so all your help is greatly appreciated. Here is an image to share how it sits right now:

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 11:14 PM   #2
bchalks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

What tire sizes do you run currently? I assume you are on stock suspension?

Your rear wheel spec is pretty aggressive. You may want to look into rolling your rear fenders.

For the front you should look at getting adjustable camber plates and running -2.5 or more negative camber. The front usually rubs on the tab that connects your front bumper to the fender. If you grind that tab down with a dremel you can eliminate most of your rubbing.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 11:24 PM   #3
twinturbovan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchalks View Post
What tire sizes do you run currently? I assume you are on stock suspension?

Your rear wheel spec is pretty aggressive. You may want to look into rolling your rear fenders.

For the front you should look at getting adjustable camber plates and running -2.5 or more negative camber. The front usually rubs on the tab that connects your front bumper to the fender. If you grind that tab down with a dremel you can eliminate most of your rubbing.
255/35/18 in the rear. My rear fenders are already rolled to a point if I do more it will damage. And yes as stated im on stock suspension. the rear is my biggest concern.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 11:30 PM   #4
bchalks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Curious, what brand tire?

You could always step down to a 245/35. Lowering the rear will likely make the rubbing situation worse. Do you know your alignment settings? Dialing in more rear camber can give you some more clearance.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 11:43 PM   #5
twinturbovan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchalks View Post
Curious, what brand tire?

You could always step down to a 245/35. Lowering the rear will likely make the rubbing situation worse. Do you know your alignment settings? Dialing in more rear camber can give you some more clearance.
I've already talked to people with the same fitment as me and they're lowered with 0 issues. I just cant recall who they were. I talked to them through Facebook. My rear camber is maxed out on stock suspension.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 08:44 AM   #6
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

You're likely rubbing on the bumper tabs front and rear.

You're rubbing because you have more bump travel in your suspension than space for the tire to occupy.

You can reduce bump travel with coilovers, or increase clearance with camber or cutting. Or changing your tires and or wheels.

If you're on stock suspension it'll get leagues better with a mild upgrade. Keep in mind that the vert is heavier than the coupe and consider spring rates accordingly.

But ultimately, unless you address the problem, which is to say inadequate clearance for the bump travel you have, you're still gonna rub.
      03-25-2020, 10:11 PM   #7
twinturbovan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
You're likely rubbing on the bumper tabs front and rear.

You're rubbing because you have more bump travel in your suspension than space for the tire to occupy.

You can reduce bump travel with coilovers, or increase clearance with camber or cutting. Or changing your tires and or wheels.

If you're on stock suspension it'll get leagues better with a mild upgrade. Keep in mind that the vert is heavier than the coupe and consider spring rates accordingly.

But ultimately, unless you address the problem, which is to say inadequate clearance for the bump travel you have, you're still gonna rub.
Well my tires rub on the edges. Which are the tabs on the front and rear?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 06:43 AM   #8
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbovan View Post
Well my tires rub on the edges. Which are the tabs on the front and rear?
At the fender/bumper seams and wheel well. See if the rear fender liner is cut there too.
      04-03-2020, 10:20 PM   #9
twinturbovan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
At the fender/bumper seams and wheel well. See if the rear fender liner is cut there too.
I'll have to look into it once this damn rain stops
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 08:07 PM   #10
FLATBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: E82

Thumbs up

I have 19" wheels off an M3. I rubbed a lot with the stock suspension and it felt like crap! I got lucky and my rubbing stopped when I upgraded my suspension. I installed Dinan camber plates, Dinan springs, Koni Shocks, Lowering spring perches, BMW strut mounts and a Megan upper strut bar. Got a new set of Toyo tires and everything feels amazing! My tires are stretched a bit and Toyo tires tend to run on the small size compared to say General tires that I hear run on the larger size. I absolutely love how my car handles now, I really don't have any complaints! It was a lot of work doing the suspension myself but totally worth it!
Appreciate 1