07-27-2019, 01:44 PM   #177
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by micky 1m View Post
hi all ,i have just had Ohlins r&t fitted to my 1m 100 miles ago asked the mechanic to set car up as Ohlins recommend, from stock my ride hight passenger front is now10mm higher drivers side is stock hight now, rear passenger is 10mm lower rear drivers is 5mm lower, ride hight has not settled/changed since install 4 days ago, is this normal and how long should I wait until I take back to mechanic to adjust, also when moving rear adjusters I cannot feel or hear any clicks how much does knob turn to get a click I am worried I will break it, hole has been cut in carpet at 12mm should it be made bigger, and one of the front springs has writing upside down is this a problem can springs go either way up, with thanks mods : Bmw performance seats, mtc motorsport charge pipe, brembo 380 bbk, akrapovic slip on with sound kit ,n55 mid pipe, f10 550i clutch Ohlins r&t
Ride height is a simple matter of adjusting the height on the coilovers.

Have you tried turning the rear adjusters both ways? I know for my Ohlins installation, I had to make a much larger hole in the carpet, and it wasn't in the same place as Ohlins suggested, since my installation instructions were meant for the 3-Series.

Springs are springs, it doesn't matter which way they're turned.
      07-27-2019, 02:38 PM   #178
micky 1m
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Saphire black 1m coupe

ok thanks , with the rear adjusters I am worried I am forcing them to much &will break them so maybe when I go back to the garage for them to adjust ride hight I will ask them why I cannot feel click ,it does not move easily but I have only moved it half a turn so maybe they should make hole bigger
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 08:17 PM   #179
MechE
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

I experienced almost zero settling after the first few miles. Your ride height should be consistent left to right. The front to back rake is somewhat dependent upon taste. I suggest you have the car corner balanced and aligned by a shop experienced with this type of suspension.

You should feel a click from the rear adjusters approximately every 15-20 degrees. That said, the click can be slightly "masked" by any rubbing of the adjuster on the side of the hole. Keep in mind the "click" is part of the adjuster assembly and is not built into the shock. The knob will definitely get tight at the limits of travel, both soft and hard, and the limits are built into the shock. As long as you aren't forcing the knob, I highly doubt you will break anything.

I doubt you can install the front springs upside down. The shapes of the top and bottom are different. That said, you should be able to see if the bottom of the spring has a machined flat surface that is resting on the lower spring seat. The part of the spring sitting on the lower seat should not be a round wire, it should be machined so that the wire gets thinner at the end, and the end should be in contact with the coil above it. If there is no machined flat, the spring may very well be upside down and it should be flipped over.

Good luck...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 05:52 AM   #180
scoopy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechE View Post
I experienced almost zero settling after the first few miles. Your ride height should be consistent left to right. The front to back rake is somewhat dependent upon taste. I suggest you have the car corner balanced and aligned by a shop experienced with this type of suspension.

You should feel a click from the rear adjusters approximately every 15-20 degrees. That said, the click can be slightly "masked" by any rubbing of the adjuster on the side of the hole. Keep in mind the "click" is part of the adjuster assembly and is not built into the shock. The knob will definitely get tight at the limits of travel, both soft and hard, and the limits are built into the shock. As long as you aren't forcing the knob, I highly doubt you will break anything.

I doubt you can install the front springs upside down. The shapes of the top and bottom are different. That said, you should be able to see if the bottom of the spring has a machined flat surface that is resting on the lower spring seat. The part of the spring sitting on the lower seat should not be a round wire, it should be machined so that the wire gets thinner at the end, and the end should be in contact with the coil above it. If there is no machined flat, the spring may very well be upside down and it should be flipped over.

Good luck...
I noticed that my left rear i cant somehow feel any click. But if i turn it counterclockwise i can feel that it stops then when i turn it clockwise theres no click. Right rear i can feel it clicks however if i turn it clockwise and counterclockwise it doesnt stop
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 10:51 AM   #181
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
hi all ,i have just had Ohlins r&t fitted to my 1m 100 miles ago asked the mechanic to set car up as Ohlins recommend, from stock my ride hight passenger front is now10mm higher drivers side is stock hight now, rear passenger is 10mm lower rear drivers is 5mm lower, ride hight has not settled/changed since install 4 days ago, is this normal and how long should I wait until I take back to mechanic to adjust, also when moving rear adjusters I cannot feel or hear any clicks how much does knob turn to get a click I am worried I will break it, hole has been cut in carpet at 12mm should it be made bigger, and one of the front springs has writing upside down is this a problem can springs go either way up, with thanks mods : Bmw performance seats, mtc motorsport charge pipe, brembo 380 bbk, akrapovic slip on with sound kit ,n55 mid pipe, f10 550i clutch Ohlins r&t
Are you referring to the adjuster knob built into the shock or the optional adjuster knob extension?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 12:23 PM   #182
micky 1m
United Kingdom
Rep

I have jacked the car up at the front the springs are sitting on the flat part of the spring but with both springs the writing is upside down , I cannot see the top of the spring very well. the adjuster cable around 60mm long is the one that came with the kit ,the adjuster knob just sits above the side panel carpet with a 12mm hole for it to come through , maybe I should cut the hole 25mm wide
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 12:47 PM   #183
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
I have jacked the car up at the front the springs are sitting on the flat part of the spring but with both springs the writing is upside down , I cannot see the top of the spring very well. the adjuster cable around 60mm long is the one that came with the kit ,the adjuster knob just sits above the side panel carpet with a 12mm hole for it to come through , maybe I should cut the hole 25mm wide
The clicks when you use the adjuster cables are subtle. I have also found that any time you use them you need to first press the knob/cable downwards towards the ground to make sure the cable and adapter is fully seated on the adjuster knob. I suspect that is why the adjuster extension feels like it just spinning. Seat it fully down and try again. The other alternative is that the cable adapter is not tightly bolted onto the cable (which is the problem I thought I had - but it ended up simply being me not realizing that there is some inherent vertical play in the cable adjuster.)
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 01:42 PM   #184
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechE View Post
You should feel a click from the rear adjusters approximately every 15-20 degrees.
Each click is exactly 1/6th of a turn.

My rear click is also very subtle. The base of the adjuster (just under the plastic knob) is a hex and is visible with my hole position if i use one hand to push down on the trunkliner. Since I don't always feel the click as well, I watch the hex and turn the knob 1/6th turn at a time, and can easily see when each flat surface of the hex lines up to my line of sight. The combination of seeing that and feeling the click makes it much easier to count and make sure both sides end up where I want them.

Just past the final click is an obvious end of the adjustment range, and then I count back from there.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 02:26 PM   #185
micky 1m
United Kingdom
Rep

did you cut a bigger hole in the trunkliner than 12mm
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 05:13 PM   #186
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
did you cut a bigger hole in the trunkliner than 12mm
No, its about that size, but lower down than marked on the instructions.
Attached Images

1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 07:53 PM   #187
MechE
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Each click is exactly 1/6th of a turn.
You are absolutely correct. It always felt like less than 60 degrees to me, but I was clearly mistaken.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 01:20 PM   #188
micky 1m
United Kingdom
Rep

thanks for photo , when I take car to mechanic I shalll mention this to him
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 10:02 PM   #189
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '20 X5 40i

Does anyone know if these camber plates will fit the Ohlins R&T for the 1M, or do I need the 1M specific camber plates?

https://hinzmotorsport.com/products/...ntrol%20camber
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 10:36 AM   #190
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW3 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_1M View Post
Does anyone know if these camber plates will fit the Ohlins R&T for the 1M, or do I need the 1M specific camber plates?

I don't think any aftermarket suppliers produce a 1M specific plate. Ground control certainly doesn't. This will work, just make sure you select Ohlins as the brand of strut and stock spring inner diameter (ID). Unless you're running springs other than what came with the Ohlins kit; in which case you'd need to know the ID of your springs.
Appreciate 1
atl_1M1520.00
      11-21-2021, 12:03 PM   #191
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:

Vorshlag has plates for OE/Ohlins application.

https://www.hpashop.com/Vorshlag-E82...?categoryId=-1
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 12:05 PM   #192
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRTSB1M View Post
Quote:

I don't think any aftermarket suppliers produce a 1M specific plate. Ground control certainly doesn't. This will work, just make sure you select Ohlins as the brand of strut and stock spring inner diameter (ID). Unless you're running springs other than what came with the Ohlins kit; in which case you'd need to know the ID of your springs.
Thanks for the response. Here's a 1M specific one from ground control on their site. Not sure if parts are identical to the M3 version or not. I was able to find the M3 version for cheaper so was hoping I could save some money but don't want to risk it unless certain it'll work.

https://groundcontrolstore.com/produ...88df&_ss=r
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 08:17 AM   #193
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW3 1M

Quote:
Thanks for the response. Here's a 1M specific one from ground control on their site. Not sure if parts are identical to the M3 version or not. I was able to find the M3 version for cheaper so was hoping I could save some money but don't want to risk it unless certain it'll work.

https://groundcontrolstore.com/produ...d5a488df&_ss=r
Order both, compare them, then return one after seeing they’re the same. Or call GC and ask if they’re actually different. BMW uses same top mount for both cars, but the e82 has a smaller strut tower, meaning less room to adjust… which is the only difference between the descriptions on their product pages.
Appreciate 1
atl_1M1520.00
      11-22-2021, 10:13 PM   #194
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Quote:

Vorshlag has plates for OE/Ohlins application.

https://www.hpashop.com/Vorshlag-E82...?categoryId=-1
I can vouch for these, and they are stout. They use a massive upper spherical bearing and a sealed rotational bearing. I have no noise at all after 30k miles and lots of track days despite at least 4 adjustments and being R&R'd 3 times.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 11:42 AM   #195
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
I can vouch for these, and they are stout. They use a massive upper spherical bearing and a sealed rotational bearing. I have no noise at all after 30k miles and lots of track days despite at least 4 adjustments and being R&R'd 3 times.
Largest top bearing in the business!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 04:13 PM   #196
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep

Does anyone know the difference between the Ohlins model BMZ MN01 and BMZMN01S1?

Also, wondering which might be the latest model number. I'm going to reach out to them directly tomorrow but figured I'd check here also.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 10:43 AM   #197
atl_1M
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Does anyone know the difference between the Ohlins model BMZ MN01 and BMZMN01S1?

Also, wondering which might be the latest model number. I'm going to reach out to them directly tomorrow but figured I'd check here also.

Thanks
Spoke to Ohlins and they said the parts are the same, just a change in nomenclature in the system.

They also suggested I don't need camber plates since I'm not going to track the car and will be using it mostly for just regular street use.

Anyone else running these without camber plates?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 11:09 AM   #198
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Camber plates are optional. We never recommend camber plates on a street car unless it is absolutely necessary for the type of driving the enduser will be doing.
Appreciate 1
atl_1M1520.00