BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-23-2020, 08:07 PM   #23
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipnkraut View Post
Reasoning? So far the cons for swisstrax from everyone that I've talked to has been from not understanding what the product does. People that actually have it love it more than epoxy.

The only legitimate con I've seen is that it's uncomfortable to walk on barefoot.
I don't like the way it looks, I don't like the way it feels and I don't like the price point. It's intended to provide this designer look and feel but I think it does the exact opposite. It's also annoying that dirt and any liquids will pass through the cracks in the Swisstrax and build up on the floor and possibly stain it. Swisstrax is not for me. Different strokes for different folks.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2020, 08:15 PM   #24
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2 AW, Dct

Focus on your electrical installations. Meet with your electrician and discuss what the Porsche/Tesla home fast chargers use and wire it for that (for a future fast charging option). Will be something like a 60amp or two 30 amp plugs. Maybe one 220V and one at 110v. Can then have option of running a decent welder set up off it as well. or lathe or milling machine. All things on my list if I was building.
I’ll never own a Tesla, but there will be great electric sports cars in 10-20 years that I might own or a classic car (e30 or 911) electric convert.

Cost is basically some expensive heavy gauge cabling and you can terminate the wiring into a box for future plug installation, you don’t even have to hook it up yet, just get the cable run in the walls that’s heavy enough and with enough wires in it for 220v. Also design your breaker box with your electrician so that it has capacity for all this. Yes it’ll triple the hardware cost but really a lot cheaper now than retrofit in the future. And the hardware is not a huge bill anyways, neither are extra 2 dollar outlets.

I’d also go overkill on how many outlets Installed in The garage. Put some at chest height where work bench would be (I have 6 outLet’s on my bench, all are full of chargers for various tools. You will need lots. Then put an outlet every 6 feet all the way around the garage walls. Trust me you will need them as the garage gets full of shelving, lockers, tool boxes, car projects, etc.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2020, 08:36 PM   #25
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Delete.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 08:39 PM   #26
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

I didn’t see anyone list it, or maybe I passed it.
I would get a good air compressor with a reeling hose.
If you have the space, a 2 post lift is best. You could do anything with it.

I just set up my small 1 car garage to fit my car in there and do some work in there.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2020, 09:12 PM   #27
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

When you put the hose bib in, plumbing it for hot/cold is OUTSTANDING if you're working on the car in even slightly chilly weather.

My father did this when building his house in WA and it's something that I'm thankful for every single time. If it's below 50 degrees, it's nice to have hot water, regardless of what you're doing.

R.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2020, 09:15 PM   #28
ToddBlack88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC 2010 F650GS

Beer assistant
wdb4673.00
      03-23-2020, 10:38 PM   #29
bigrum
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
When you put the hose bib in, plumbing it for hot/cold is OUTSTANDING if you're working on the car in even slightly chilly weather.

My father did this when building his house in WA and it's something that I'm thankful for every single time. If it's below 50 degrees, it's nice to have hot water, regardless of what you're doing.

R.
Yeah I actually have a hot/cold hose bib, it is nice AF.
Appreciate 2
tim99ws6110.00
      03-23-2020, 11:03 PM   #30
flipnkraut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BSM M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post

R.
I thought about this but for the past 4 years I've been washing my car outside and only a small handful of times did I wish I had hot water since it only gets cold about a month out of the year. Just being able to wash inside will make all the difference for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 11:11 PM   #31
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I thought about this but for the past 4 years I've been washing my car outside and only a small handful of times did I wish I had hot water since it only gets cold about a month out of the year. Just being able to wash inside will make all the difference for me.
It's also nice to have hot water wash down the siding, the garage, etc.

We use it at my dad's house (I'll inherit, eventually) FAR more than I would have thought.

And, it really was a pittance since he was building the house. Just run a little more flexible tubing and Bob's your uncle.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2020, 11:17 PM   #32
flipnkraut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the hammer View Post
Focus on your electrical installations. Meet with your electrician and discuss what the Porsche/Tesla home fast chargers use and wire it for that (for a future fast charging option). Will be something like a 60amp or two 30 amp plugs. Maybe one 220V and one at 110v. Can then have option of running a decent welder set up off it as well. or lathe or milling machine. All things on my list if I was building.
I'll never own a Tesla, but there will be great electric sports cars in 10-20 years that I might own or a classic car (e30 or 911) electric convert.

Cost is basically some expensive heavy gauge cabling and you can terminate the wiring into a box for future plug installation, you don't even have to hook it up yet, just get the cable run in the walls that's heavy enough and with enough wires in it for 220v. Also design your breaker box with your electrician so that it has capacity for all this. Yes it'll triple the hardware cost but really a lot cheaper now than retrofit in the future. And the hardware is not a huge bill anyways, neither are extra 2 dollar outlets.

I'd also go overkill on how many outlets Installed in The garage. Put some at chest height where work bench would be (I have 6 outLet's on my bench, all are full of chargers for various tools. You will need lots. Then put an outlet every 6 feet all the way around the garage walls. Trust me you will need them as the garage gets full of shelving, lockers, tool boxes, car projects, etc.
Man thank you for this. I completely overlooked outlets. You sir probably saved me many headaches and dollars.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 07:01 AM   #33
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Must haves:

2-post lift.
Ceramic tile floors.
Ductless minisplit

Most important, if the garage is part of the house you want to air-seal and insulate it from the living space. I'm talking from roof down to the slab. If there's living space above the garage then insulate the garage ceiling really well (Mineral Wool, Cellulose).

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2020, 10:19 AM   #34
flipnkraut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Must haves:

2-post lift.
Ceramic tile floors.
Ductless minisplit

Most important, if the garage is part of the house you want to air-seal and insulate it from the living space. I'm talking from roof down to the slab. If there's living space above the garage then insulate the garage ceiling really well (Mineral Wool, Cellulose).
Air seal from the living space is required by code in the US. And I think insulation is as well. But it would be nice to also insulate the walls in the garage that aren't shared with the living space. Also forgot to mention to get insulated garage doors.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 11:11 AM   #35
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Loft with a wood ceiling, and a medium dark tile floor. First example is of the ceiling, second is of the floor.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Frupal779.50
      03-24-2020, 11:17 AM   #36
bigrum
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP

What about those big exhaust vacuum hoses you hang on your tailpipe and see in dealership service bays or fire departments? I assume if done right you can have your car running in the garage when working on it?
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2020, 11:31 AM   #37
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Must haves:

2-post lift.
Ceramic tile floors.
Ductless minisplit

Air seal from the living space is required by code in the US. And I think insulation is as well. But it would be nice to also insulate the walls in the garage that aren't shared with the living space. Also forgot to mention to get insulated garage doors.
Yep. In the US codes are administered on the local and state level. The individual states themselves are on different versions and enforcement isn't always consistent. Doesn't help that builders don't always adhere to code either.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 11:55 AM   #38
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Have these guys in my garages right now - although they might not finish both as we go into lockdown tonight.

http://www.garageliving.com

They're doing:

1. Epoxy floors
2. Slat walls
3. Built in cabinets
4. Built in benches in the alcove
5. Overhead storage

Phase 2 (not by them - will be different companies) will be:

6. Raised garage doors with side motors
7. BendPak Wide 4 post lift for stacked storage in single car garage
8. MaxJax 2 post lift in the middle of the 2 car garage for working
Appreciate 2
3798j11167.00
Ngilbe361618.50
      03-24-2020, 12:07 PM   #39
lakefront
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Macan GTS

I know not everyone likes the "industrial" look but as far as putting in lots of outlets, I insisted to my electrician (my father-in-law) that I wanted junction boxes and conduit mounted on the outside of the finished walls. I mounted the conduit and my compressed air piping on Unistrut so there wasn't even any need to bend offsets. Straight pipe into the boxes and straight out. Went up 1 size conduit than needed so that if I ever needed to add 220v outlet or whatever I could just run the wire through existing pipe. I love it.
Appreciate 1
wdb4673.00
      03-24-2020, 03:16 PM   #40
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

here's what i've got done so far. still need to order the rest of the Racedeck tiles. i built this for me and only me. so i wanted more of a showroom look.

already installed LED shop lights throughout

painted the walls a medium gray while leaving the windows satin white and the ceiling flat white

i still have to order the black utility sink since my white one looks out of place

will order a view banners for the walls

and a few mechanic chairs
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 4
flybigjet6617.50
3798j11167.00
      03-24-2020, 03:28 PM   #41
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
here's what i've got done so far. still need to order the rest of the Racedeck tiles. i built this for me and only me. so i wanted more of a showroom look.
Holy shit.

Marry me.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 03:46 PM   #42
flipnkraut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
here's what i've got done so far.
Damn that's looking nice. What brand cabinets are those are how do you like the quality?

Also where'd you get the BMW banner?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 07:20 PM   #43
lowside67
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Quote:
That is a truly absurd length of cabinets - huge fan! Can I ask why you decided to break up the work bench into small chunks? To me that seems like that would be hugely limiting to any opportunity to actually work on large materials, etc. I have the same cabinets in my (much) smaller garage.

To make a suggestion to the OP - I would strongly consider a perimeter of upper shelving. It has been eye opening to me how much I actually use this space. I have attached some older photos of my garage below.

-Mark

03-24-2020, 08:42 PM   #44
flipnkraut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Quote:
That is a truly absurd length of cabinets - huge fan! Can I ask why you decided to break up the work bench into small chunks? To me that seems like that would be hugely limiting to any opportunity to actually work on large materials, etc. I have the same cabinets in my (much) smaller garage.

To make a suggestion to the OP - I would strongly consider a perimeter of upper shelving. It has been eye opening to me how much I actually use this space. I have attached some older photos of my garage below.

-Mark

[img]http://www.uhlmann.ca/wp-content/upl...up_Resized.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.uhlmann.ca/wp-content/upl...1/IMG_6390.jpg[/img]
I've gone back and forth with shelving for storage. But when I envision my dream garage I don't see totes and totes lining my walls. Already told the wife if we have to use the garage for storage, it'll be one shelf along the perimeter and the only thing that'll go there are a specific type of tote. If it doesn't fit in the tote it doesn't go in the garage. This way at least it will be clean and uniform.
Appreciate 1