Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivangene View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringteg View Post

Right now I am just driving it on back roads and getting comfortable with the car.
I suggest a CCC through BWMNW or Skills day PNWR

the Porsche day at Bremerton is really the right place to not only get comfortable, but do it correctly as you will have an instructor all day, and its a safe environment

You will love The Ridge!

Relevant to this thread, there is another way to get some excellent in car footage with data overlay. The TrackAddict app and race render software are very cost-effective, and you can overlay video from your phone and go pro video synchronized with data from a Bluetooth OBD2 reader. This set up worked really well for me when I was at The Ridge recently, posted in another thread.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 02:17 AM   #46
LemoNK
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP 1///M View Post
Just came back from vacation - check your PM
hope you are still here, need a PM, many thx!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 11:25 AM   #47
touringteg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivangene View Post
I suggest a CCC through BWMNW or Skills day PNWR

the Porsche day at Bremerton is really the right place to not only get comfortable, but do it correctly as you will have an instructor all day, and its a safe environment

Thank you. A full day of learning would be fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 04:12 AM   #48
LemoNK
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFragileHalogen View Post
Would you mind sharing how you decoded the .far extension file into a text(or readable) file?
can u share the method with me ? seems everyone else is no longer active in here. Thx!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 03:27 PM   #49
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by touringteg View Post
Thanks for the video, tour of the Ridge and your comments on the 1M on track.

I recently purchased an AW 1M and plan to track as well. I have done VIMC (Vancouver Island Motorsports Circuit) four times in my previous car and plan to try the Ridge and Area 27 soon. I am over in Victoria.

I have Vorshlag camber plates on the way and all fluids were done last month.

Right now I am just driving it on back roads and getting comfortable with the car.
Nice... I'm on the waitlist for Sep 1st at Ridge hosted by TSS. Car is getting old now after swapping many things for maintenance (all O2 sensors, coils, spark plugs, charge pipe). Might want to go back to staggered setup after trying squared for a few years - I just don't track enough to be comfortable in a squared setup. Granted, I'm on 263/35R18 all around instead of 285/30R18
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 03:28 PM   #50
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemoNK View Post
can u share the method with me ? seems everyone else is no longer active in here. Thx!
Still around, just not as often as life gets busy, check your PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 12:53 AM   #51
iameggcited
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Any members have success in decoding the .far files? Not able to decode any part of it.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 11:45 AM   #52
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
FYI....I'll be at The Ridge with Turn2 on Friday 7/17....who else?? Let's make it a PNW 1M meetup!
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 01:11 PM   #53
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iameggcited View Post
Any members have success in decoding the .far files? Not able to decode any part of it.
Check your PM - I visit here maybe once every few months. Let me know
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 05:07 PM   #54
panda_m3cs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 CS

Quote:
Can you share how to decode the .far files to csv?

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 09:14 AM   #55
TrackEnthusiast
Private
Rep
Drives: 125i 2014

Quote:
Hi mate, gongrats for the job done with the perl scripts. I am also interested in learning how to pull the data from the far files.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 02:50 PM   #56
TrackEnthusiast
Private
Rep

Did it

So, if anyone still intrested in pulling the far files from MLaptimer, I managed to do it with an excel file with a VBA macro. All you have to do is feed in with the FAR files and the macro will output the corresponding CSVs. Below a video that I made with dashware using the CSVs.

Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 05:47 PM   #57
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW3 1M

Anyone heading out for the BMWCCA event on Sept 18th?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 09:19 AM   #58
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRTSB1M View Post
Anyone heading out for the BMWCCA event on Sept 18th?
Sadly no more weekends available for me. I'll be at The Ridge with Turn2 on Tuesday 9/14.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 07:13 PM   #59
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Anyone else going to The Ridge on Tuesday? If not, anyone up for a late dinner (8:30ish) in the Olympia area?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 09:54 PM   #60
AntonioZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Anyone else going to The Ridge on Tuesday? If not, anyone up for a late dinner (8:30ish) in the Olympia area?
Carjunkie, I'll be there on the 21st with my single turbo 1m conversion. Come by and say hi. Would love to meet!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 09:56 PM   #61
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Carjunkie, I'll be there on the 21st with my single turbo 1m conversion. Come by and say hi. Would love to meet!
Sadly working that day. All work and no play….OK, mostly work and occasional play….make CJ a dull boy.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 12:49 AM   #62
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Forward camera: GoPro Hero8 in 1080p mode
Interior camera: iPhone11 Pro using TrackAddict, also gathering data with Kiwi Bluetooth OBD

Fun day!

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 07:38 PM   #63
TrackEnthusiast
Private
Rep

New way to get telemetry and analyze driving.

So, I needed to learn how to code (Node.js)... and since simply watching classes is not the way, you acctually have to code to learn, I taught to myself: "Well, maybe I should think of a project I would like to do". Than, being a trully track day addict, I decided "Ok then, maybe I should do something related to cars and racing" and then I remebered reading in this forums that many people were interested in getting the data from the MLaptimer app, so I decided to start there: making an web app to get the telemetry data from the app files to render videos. That was a pretty easy task and, when it was nearly finished, I discovered somethnig really, really cool. To explain what it is, I'll have to start from the beggining.

At that time, (6 months ago) besides learning to code, I also needed to buy an appropriate GPS to record my track activities (karting, tracking an old opel Kadett and a BMW 125i F20). The GPS data from MLaptimer, despite coming from the cars GPS, is as bad as the data from any smartphone, since navigation GPS chips operates at 1 Hz. So, I was allways browsing the web after a good deal for a Qstars or any other bluetooth GPS. However, they are expensive and also it would be a pain to integrate 3 different data sources: The video from the GoPro, the sensor data from the MLaptimer app and the GPS. I considered acquiring a OBDII stick and then using HLT or RaceChrono to put everything together, as many people do. My problem with this solution was that I know from previous attempts that data acquired with this OBDII dongles, many times, is not accurate. Also, that would be too many things to setup before getting in the track...

But then, for pure luck, the solution for his problem glanced right in front of my eyes: A friend of mine was showing me the footage of a kart session he acquired with his GoPro 7 camera and then rendered with race render, which also renders to the video the track drawing as acquired by the cameras GPS (all GoPro's from Hero 5 on have GPS). By watching the track drawing, I realized that the cameras GPS was really good, because I had recently drove that same track in a hot lap with my 125i and the track drawing I had from the cars GPS was pretty squared. Then, I asked him to show me the data file that race render generates from the GoPro video and, in the file, I could see that the cameras GPS was generating nearly 20 pts/sec. Then I had a blast: Why not using the GoPro to film and also as the GPS and then integrating the MLaptimer app data by synchronizing the high resolution GPS track from the camera with the low resolution GPS track from the app?

It took me a couple of months to code everything and also a couple of track days to test, but news is: IT WORKS BEUATIFULLY! Even with the camera inside the car, the GPS data from the GoPro is accurate enough to time the laps within 0.05 s. So, just to clarify how it works: You have to enable GPS in the camera and put it to record when you start your session, as you would normally do. At the same time you put MLaptimer app to record and, latter on, the code I wrote will process the video and the MLaptimer file in the browser and generates a .csv file wich you can use to render the data to the video with the app you like better. I used Dashware, since it is free and allows to personalize the dashes. Only thing it is windows only (sorry mac users).

Video rendered from the .csv file with DashWare:

At this point maybe you are thinking "rendering videos with dashes is not that cool, there are many other ways to achieve that, including the BMW OBDII dongle, which costs 200 bucks". And you are right, rendering videos is not the coolest part. What is really cool about the code I wrote is that, besides outputing the .csv file from the parsed data, it will also output a .vbo file which you can open with Circuit Tools and then compare your laps and sessions with all sensor data integrated!!! That is really cool, you can analyze your laps by sectors, ompare different racing lines, position of your braking, throtle modulation in the corners, and more, all in sync with the track footage!

Comparing 2 fast laps with circuit tools (my computer laged a little when I made the video, but you get the point). In the graphs below the video you can see throtle position and braking G-force (combination of brake switch signal with longitudinal G force). Besides that, you could also have graphs for gear (auto-only), engine RPM, GPS speed and g forces. So, how cool is that?
Appreciate 1
CarJunkie2615.50
      11-30-2021, 07:43 PM   #64
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW3 1M

Can you share the code in a gist?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 07:21 PM   #65
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
This is awesome. I'm not sure I would ever be this motivated!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 07:21 AM   #66
TrackEnthusiast
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRTSB1M View Post
Can you share the code in a gist?
Hi there pal, thanks for the interest. I do have a gist, but for now I would like to keep this code for myself. Good news is, for those who want to use it (process GoPro videos and/or Mlaptimer files), I've acctually put a whole web app together, hosted in heroku. In this page you can process your files from the web browser and download the output. There are also links to download Dashware, the templates I've made for F cars and M cars and tutorials as well. Yet it is already fully functional, there are still some things to do, so I'm not broadcasting the web address yet. However, if you want to give it a try, send me pm and I'll reply for you with the address.
Appreciate 0