BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-21-2017, 02:51 PM   #1
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Epilogue: 135i

For the last 6 years I drove a 135i. There were actually 2 cars because the first one was replaced with trade assist.

I was considering going another year until 2018 models were out, but in one month between November and December the trade in value dropped nearly $1000 to $18000. During that time GM was offering $1900 off on a 2017 Camaro SS, so I sprang for it.

Both the Camaro and 135i are 2 door sport coupes, but the similarity ends there. I will not go into details. There are lots road tests to read which will tell you everyhing. What is really strange is this 6.2L monster V8 has roughly the same fuel consumption as the 3L turbo in a 135i. The DCT keeps the turbo motor spinning too fast at any speed over 45 mph.

In my search for a new car I considered the M2 and M3. However I found the DCT in my 135i to be such an annoyance that I eventually ruled the M cars out. The M240i is a nice car, but too much like the 135i and I needed a change. The 3 & 4 series have gotten a lot larger, and are not the car which attracted me to BMW years ago. My front brake rotors were nastily gouged at only 24000 miles, but BMW would not fix it and the endless waiting for a new air bag. Those just might have been the last straw.

In the month since trading the Bimmer, the trade in value declined another $1000. It could be the used car buyers preference for SUV's or it could be something else.

I will still post links to my travel photos in the off topic area. There are some recent ones from Viet Nam.
      01-21-2017, 07:02 PM   #2
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Sorry. Couldn't resist. Enjoy your Chevy!

Peace
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 3
      01-21-2017, 07:08 PM   #3
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

For real. $1000 here, $1900 there and you're in a Chevy. BMW is not the brand for you.
Appreciate 1
Dylanize204.00
      01-21-2017, 09:47 PM   #4
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

We'll all be interested to see how your Chebby holds up over time. Please keep in touch.
      01-22-2017, 05:51 PM   #5
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeroni View Post
Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Sorry. Couldn't resist. Enjoy your Chevy!

Peace
I love it!
      01-22-2017, 09:43 PM   #6
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
For real. $1000 here, $1900 there and you're in a Chevy. BMW is not the brand for you.
You actually think it was about $2900? That was timing. How about 455 hp from a 6.2L NA V8 with instant response?
      01-26-2017, 06:45 AM   #7
zapatista
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Vert 6MT

So, you're obviously in the wrong place to get accolades for your Gen 6 choice.

That being said:

I love the new SS and came very close to trading out my 128i for a base 2016 1SS for $29k new when Chevy was doing a 20% fire sale in October. The LT1 power, exhaust and relative fuel economy is awesome.
The tremec is a really nice (notchy) 6mt but not quite as sweet as the unit in my 128i.

I love my 128i but having a AA tune that kicks in at 4500rpm ain't the same as an instant head snap-back at 1300rpm in 3 gears. Maybe I can convince the wife to get rid of her precious Kia Soul for one!

There I admitted it. I'm a Gen 6 fan boi. Enjoy your SS! Camaro6.com is an excellent board.
Appreciate 1
VRG_135836.50
      01-26-2017, 07:14 AM   #8
mburg
MBurg
Rep
Drives: '22 230

A real apples to oranges comparison. Not, the 1 series wasn't going to provide the head snapping 'impact' of a car like the Camaro. And sure, much fewer bucks for a lot of shits and giggles.

I gave up my 128i 1 1/2 years ago when the lease was up and am now driving a 228i AWD. I miss the 6MT. More than that, having driven BMWs for the past 20+ years (several 3 series coupes, then the 128, now the 228), and having been a 'car jockey' for a BMW dealer in Queens NY in the mid 70s (think end of 2002/Bavaria/3.0 coupe, beginning of 3/5/6/7 series) I can honestly say that the 128 was the most fun car to drive that I have ever owned. By most fun I mean the combination of acceleration, handling, breaking, and 'intangibles. The car seemed to fit like a glove, it was just the right size, it had its own unique look, it was highly responsive. I still miss it after having the 2 for over a year. Wish BMW had seen fit to keep the line going, rather than morphing it into - yet again - a bigger car, like the 3 coupe morphed into the 4 coupe, that is actually bigger than the 6 was not to long ago.

The 2 doesn't handle anywhere near like the 1 does. The electric assist is mediocre, and the BMW road feel that it a hallmark has been left on the side of the road. I guess we call that progress.
Appreciate 1
Dylanize204.00
      01-26-2017, 05:32 PM   #9
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
How about 455 hp from a 6.2L NA V8 with instant response?
No thanks, instant response makes things too easy. I'll keep my massive turbo lag and clunky 20th century transmission that sucks and shifts super slow...too bad BMW doesn't offer a transmission that can match Chevy's. And these N54 / N55 motors aren't tunable in the slightest. Thank god that NA V8 allows for huge power increases with only bolt on mods and a tune. And the car is really lightweight too so that 455 hp goes far.

Wait....sorry, was on crack pipe.
Appreciate 2
      01-26-2017, 08:47 PM   #10
V8TBIrds
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Enjoy the Camaro. The SS is a fast car, although you can't see well out of it.
I just bought a 2013 135is...has too many options to rattle off here. This car is repalcing a 2006 Dodge Cahrger R/T Daytona that I logged more than 318,000 miles. The Dodge replaced a 2001 330xi, but that BMW was a lemon. I like BMWs so I hope that this experience is better than my other one.

As far as gas mileage: yo udon't buy a car lke a Camaro SS, Dodge Charger or any other perfomance car with gas mileage in mind. However, my Dodge in mostly hiway driving got me around with 22mpg (this was the last of the Daimler-Chrysler cars) it drops down to 4 cylinders at cruising speeds.

The 135 certainly feels faster, altough it is a bit sliggish off the mark. I haven't tried, let alone master, Launch Control however.

In any event, you'll have fun in the Camaro SS. Tkae car of it....change the fluids MUCH MORE OFTEN than the owners manual says!!
Appreciate 1
VRG_135836.50
      01-26-2017, 09:01 PM   #11
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post

Wait....sorry, was on crack pipe.
And haven't come down yet.
      02-12-2017, 09:39 PM   #12
Cemoto
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

There is a lot to like with the new Camaro! Especially the track prepared ones, enjoy.

1996 993 tt (Midnight Blue/ Black)
2004 GT3 (Midnight Blue/Black)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 12:20 AM   #13
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

A "real" BMW has a manual transmission. I know a lot of people here will disagree with me, but as someone whose first car was a 1973 2002, with no radio, no A/C, and crank windows, there is a total gestalt with these cars that once you start chipping away at parts of them, it is easy to walk away from what is left.

Don't tell me how wonderful your DCT is; I am sure it is wonderful. BMW began losing sight of what it was that made them famous around the year 2000, and bit by bit they have lost more and more of what it was that made the brand.

So if the question is, does it make sense to walk away from a current BMW, especially one with an automatic transmission, and buy a Chevy or a Ford or even a Kia or Toyota, then my answer is painfully, probably, yes.

Just make sure the car you buy is comfortable, reasonably reliable, and you have a driver on the payroll so that you won't have to drive it.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 03:00 AM   #14
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I am the type of guy who just loves cars and can see why you'd like the Camaro. I'd personally love a ZL1 in my fleet. They fixed a lot that was wrong with the previous gen Camaro except for visibility. You just need to keep everyone behind you lol.

There are simply lots of exceptional cars out there now. We are enjoying a renaissance of car making. There are some other issues I don't care for, like autonomous driving, but it does serve its purpose. I considered a Stingray but the dealer wanted to work me over so went with plan B, the 135is. I understand what the OP was saying about the DCT, and it was something I was going to live with until I get t the Dinan flash which has apparently fixed that issue.

The Camaro could be compared to the 135i, but really they are different types of coupes and of course achieve their performance metrics in slightly different ways.
Appreciate 1
VRG_135836.50
      02-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #15
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i M-Sport

The Camaro is a big ugly hunk of iron with a ridiculous monster displacement motor. The interior is cramped and the visibility is poor. As it gets older like all GM products, it'll haunt the owner with problems.

And if you have such a low income, I guess the OP works at Wendy's, that a $1,000 is a big deal you should be driving a Schwinn.

Let's face it. The OP's post is a rationalization why he bought a monster mobile. You know that he's having second thoughts why he bought a car that would only appeal to those people who are in the audience or are guests of the Jerry Springer Show.

As for the rest of you, financially cars are nearly always a losing proposition. You pick a particular one because it stirs your soul and engages your intellect. The reward of ownership is the driving experience. The One, Two, and M2 will be the last BMWs which actually deliver what the BMW motto promises, The Ultimate Driving Expereince!

To thoroughly depress you, Electric Cars are on the horizon along with a plethora of complicated electronic gizmos that will isolate the drivers in a cocoon of safety. The essential qualities of these cars will be fuel economy, safety, practicality, and cheapness.

Oh da horror!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 08:14 AM   #16
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i M-Sport

Gimmie a break!

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
A "real" BMW has a manual transmission. I know a lot of people here will disagree with me, but as someone whose first car was a 1973 2002, with no radio, no A/C, and crank windows, there is a total gestalt with these cars that once you start chipping away at parts of them, it is easy to walk away from what is left.

Don't tell me how wonderful your DCT is; I am sure it is wonderful. BMW began losing sight of what it was that made them famous around the year 2000, and bit by bit they have lost more and more of what it was that made the brand.

So if the question is, does it make sense to walk away from a current BMW, especially one with an automatic transmission, and buy a Chevy or a Ford or even a Kia or Toyota, then my answer is painfully, probably, yes.

Just make sure the car you buy is comfortable, reasonably reliable, and you have a driver on the payroll so that you won't have to drive it.
The DCT is wonderful. Obviously you are an old fool who is unable to appreciate modern technology. I imagine you are still washing your clothes with a scrubbing board!
Appreciate 1
VRG_135836.50
      02-13-2017, 08:26 AM   #17
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

"The 3 & 4 series have gotten a lot larger, and are not the car which attracted me to BMW years ago."

So you bought a Camaro?

To me that's the biggest turnoff to the Camaros, Mustangs, etc. is that they feel so huge to drive. I know they are fast but when you look at the size and weight compared to the actual room in the car it doesn't make a lot of sense.
      02-13-2017, 08:52 AM   #18
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rooty Von Tooty View Post
The Camaro is a big ugly hunk of iron with a ridiculous monster displacement motor. The interior is cramped and the visibility is poor. As it gets older like all GM products, it'll haunt the owner with problems.

And if you have such a low income, I guess the OP works at Wendy's, that a $1,000 is a big deal you should be driving a Schwinn.

Let's face it. The OP's post is a rationalization why he bought a monster mobile. You know that he's having second thoughts why he bought a car that would only appeal to those people who are in the audience or are guests of the Jerry Springer Show.

As for the rest of you, financially cars are nearly always a losing proposition. You pick a particular one because it stirs your soul and engages your intellect. The reward of ownership is the driving experience. The One, Two, and M2 will be the last BMWs which actually deliver what the BMW motto promises, The Ultimate Driving Expereince!

To thoroughly depress you, Electric Cars are on the horizon along with a plethora of complicated electronic gizmos that will isolate the drivers in a cocoon of safety. The essential qualities of these cars will be fuel economy, safety, practicality, and cheapness.

Oh da horror!
These aren't Ferraris on the bleeding edge of engine technology. You pay for a car, you expect some level of reliability. Everyone's threshold on how much is too much maintenance is different. I don't see the point of bashing the OP.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 04:20 PM   #19
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
You actually think it was about $2900? That was timing. How about 455 hp from a 6.2L NA V8 with instant response?
Personally, I think you were just in the mood for something different and that's okay 6 years is a long time, however justifying it on trade depreciate sounds like an excuse to give the wife/girlfriend in order to get a new car. Just tell it how it is you wanted something fresh and different and you got it, all good. The new Camaro is one hell of a car but it will depreciate just as fast at the 135 once the hype fades. Camaro production numbers will be 5x as high as the 1 series and everyone will soon have one. Buying a car is an expense that will not generate value unless you spring for something special and rare like a 1M or a 1962 Ferrari 250GT. I got rid of my first 135 only to scramble back less than 2 years later for another, it's a special car (to me). Many others have returned after trying out something new and different, I wouldn't rule out your return either.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 06:16 PM   #20
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm3 View Post
"The 3 & 4 series have gotten a lot larger, and are not the car which attracted me to BMW years ago."

So you bought a Camaro?

To me that's the biggest turnoff to the Camaros, Mustangs, etc. is that they feel so huge to drive. I know they are fast but when you look at the size and weight compared to the actual room in the car it doesn't make a lot of sense.
yeah; for me i'd rather mod the heck out of a subaru brz then get a camaro, but that's jus me..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 06:32 PM   #21
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rooty Von Tooty View Post

Oh da horror!
You are one ugly character. Yeah I work at Wendy's. I am the gorilla who makes hamburgers by squeezing ground beef in my armpit and guys like you come in and eat them.

You might be right about the end of the BMW driving experience. No second thoughts here at all. Visibility isn't a problem if you use mirrors. You are just jealous.
      02-13-2017, 06:47 PM   #22
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
This thread is gettin goooood.
Appreciate 0