BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-23-2008, 05:57 PM   #23
HPADDICT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

We have a couple single turbo big HP supras around here that are perfectly fine for street driving. They also can get sideways at 85+mph on street tires. I think the block and its components will have to be addressed before even thinking about a feasible single turbo setup on a 135i. Yes there would be a trade off in spool but the high end could easily make up for it if HP was the goal.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 06:08 PM   #24
135i_TT
1Addict, and proud
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i M-Sport

Garage List
your right bout in the drivetrain department on the part that a 1, stock, not being able to withstand 800whp, but would be interesting if someone would make it a project car like that. and like i said itll be interesting to see the outcome of the single turbo setup

BMW AW 135i ZMP:6mt,Coral Red Leather,Silver Matte Trim,Heated Front Seats,I-Drive,HD Radio,Ipod/Usb,Comf.Acces
www.wix.com/TT135i/Moi
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 06:10 PM   #25
135i_TT
1Addict, and proud
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeBMW View Post
Two is always better than 1 (this could make a good that's what she said joke)
haha i gotta say i like that one!

BMW AW 135i ZMP:6mt,Coral Red Leather,Silver Matte Trim,Heated Front Seats,I-Drive,HD Radio,Ipod/Usb,Comf.Acces
www.wix.com/TT135i/Moi
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 06:13 PM   #26
135i_TT
1Addict, and proud
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPADDICT View Post
We have a couple single turbo big HP supras around here that are perfectly fine for street driving. They also can get sideways at 85+mph on street tires. I think the block and its components will have to be addressed before even thinking about a feasible single turbo setup on a 135i. Yes there would be a trade off in spool but the high end could easily make up for it if HP was the goal.

and yea thats what i was thinking.. the Supra and Cobalts are very different from the 135i I think it'll be a while till we see the single turbo set up for the 1.. and like you said depends on wat they're aiming for Torque or HP. the wait for the single turbo 135i begins

www.wix.com/TT135i/Moi
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 07:21 PM   #27
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

VIP Tuning did it on a 335i.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showth...t=Single+turbo
      08-23-2008, 09:31 PM   #28
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourmicah View Post
I think I would go with a Lexus IS300 since it has the same motor, the skyline because of the inline 6, or of course the 135i. I'm sure someone will do it and it will be insane. If I volunteer my car will someone sponsor me to hit the 800 RWHP mark?
The Lexus IS and SC 300 engines are the NA version of the 2JZ, which are slightly different than the turbo engine.

The N54 is an open deck engine, and it's aluminum. I doubt it will make anywhere near what the RB26 and 2JZ - which are closed-deck, iron block engines - can put out.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 12:02 AM   #29
135i_TT
1Addict, and proud
United_States
Rep

Garage List
wow.. well i wonder how long itll be till we see the 135i with a single turbo setup.. heres a video of a single turbo supra with so much power its hard to keep straight even at take off so id like to see how the 135i will do.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/S...GTE_144816.htm

www.wix.com/TT135i/Moi
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 01:25 AM   #30
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_TT View Post
So i was looking up videos of the 135i and ran into this National Speeds BMW 135i Dyno Video pushing 351hp n 373 lbs ft torque w/ just the Dinan chip but... if you read his comments he states that hes going to convert the car to a single turbo?!?!?!

Heres the url:

Whats your thought on this??
Nothing unusual here...

Single turbo conversions are very popular for high end or max. power applications on alot of 6 and 4 potters, especially inline engine configurations.

As someones already mentioned, people do it to cars like Supras and more so to GT-R's !

Very popular for the most powerful and quickest GT-R's (R32, 33, 34) to have the factory TT set up replaced with one large turbo, yes it's more low end lag and loss of driveabilty, but these are done for max. power and performance on the track :wink:
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 01:34 AM   #31
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
The Lexus IS and SC 300 engines are the NA version of the 2JZ, which are slightly different than the turbo engine.

The N54 is an open deck engine, and it's aluminum. I doubt it will make anywhere near what the RB26 and 2JZ - which are closed-deck, iron block engines - can put out.
This correct :wink:

The Japanese always prepare their hi-po engines for alot of power expansion.

They've done the same even with the new Mitsubishi MIVEC 2.0ltr turbo of the Evo 10.

It is possible to extract over 300kw and 560nm with the basic set up as is and the engine block is said to be capable or strong enough of handling up to 400kw - not bad at 200kw per/ltr. little wonder Evo 10's are already running 10's over the 1/4 mile.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 02:11 AM   #32
xa-coupe
Wannabe
Rep
Drives:

There are plenty of 3 litre single turbo commodores running 8 second 1/4 miles but they can't spin the wheels in water off boost.
IMO, if you are going to pretend it's street driven you should keep the two.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 03:58 AM   #33
Cris
What's FWD?
Rep
Drives: Former E82, current E39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoni View Post
Because some people think they know better than the engineers who made it.
Agreed. Folks have to understand that the people who designed these vehicles went to very expensive schools for some time for that engineering degree to work at a prestigious company like BMW. With that said, BMW spends millions of dollars (and/or Euros) to develop these vehicles with very expensive software, R&D equipment, and whatever other crap they use. A correctly engineered vehicle incorporates everything to make the vehicle work to its optimum potential/balance. To re-engineer an extensively developed motor with so-called in-house manufactured parts from a company who has a BMW master tech is just... well, funny. So what if you have a master tech? He/she didn't design these vehicles from scratch; they may not know the intricacies of automotive engineering, theories in thermodynamics, etc., thus crapping out the balance of the machine.

Sorry for the rant... I need a cigarette.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 01:38 PM   #34
135i_TT
1Addict, and proud
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yea..I do give credit to those engineers who can modify the engine and keep it going for a long time like they have done with the supra though..

and as for the Evo X.. im honestly disapointed in the new ones....

www.wix.com/TT135i/Moi
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 06:18 PM   #35
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xa-coupe View Post
There are plenty of 3 litre single turbo commodores running 8 second 1/4 miles but they can't spin the wheels in water off boost.
IMO, if you are going to pretend it's street driven you should keep the two.
That's correct xa-coupe - our local 3.0ltr IL6 'Nissan' engined VL Commodores in modified form are awesome !!!

However they are in a different category from the 135i, because they are a factory released 'single' not twin turbo set up to begin with :smile:

These 9 and 8sec examples are running an alternative huge single turbo and some also run NOS as well :wink:

I've never seen of heard of a VL being changed from single to twin turbo configuration - in fact I've never heard of any car that's been changed from it's original single to twin turbo, but as discussed for race/max. power applications, alot have gone from the twin to a single turbo set up...

If we're talking about V8's (and more recently V6's) that's a different story as with twin cylinder banks and twin exhaust manifolds a twin turbo set up works extremely well and you can achieve the same top end flow/power requirements with 2 of them as opposed to a single huge turbo which has the distinct disadvantage of poor low end response and driveability for road use.

An exellent example of these are the kits/conversions done by APS.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 04:21 AM   #36
Evolution Racewerks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M340i,15 M4,12 328i,08 135i

A single turbo setup is ideal for racing applications. Less parts = less likely to break something. It is less complicated with half the components. If something does go wrong, half the time to diagnose the problem. Also frees up space and easier to work on. The twin turbo setup is crammed into the car. If you ever have to pull the downpipes, let alone the turbos, you will know what I'm talking about.

I wanted to upgrade the turbos right off the bat on our car. I even lined up a purchase of a N54 engine from a junkyard (trying to prototype a turbo kit on a 135i with the engine still in it is CRAZY!). Alas, my race budget got cut and no engine . Oh well, gotta wait until upper management gives me a bigger budget.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 08:08 AM   #37
dad
Banned
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris View Post
Agreed. Folks have to understand that the people who designed these vehicles went to very expensive schools for some time for that engineering degree to work at a prestigious company like BMW. With that said, BMW spends millions of dollars (and/or Euros) to develop these vehicles with very expensive software, R&D equipment, and whatever other crap they use. A correctly engineered vehicle incorporates everything to make the vehicle work to its optimum potential/balance. To re-engineer an extensively developed motor with so-called in-house manufactured parts from a company who has a BMW master tech is just... well, funny. So what if you have a master tech? He/she didn't design these vehicles from scratch; they may not know the intricacies of automotive engineering, theories in thermodynamics, etc., thus crapping out the balance of the machine.

Sorry for the rant... I need a cigarette.
I hate these kinds of rants. No doubt that a lot of money and time were spent by a powerful company with lots of savvy engineers BUT, they have to deal with crap like emissions, operation in extreme heat/cold/stop and go traffic/autobahn, idiots filling their tanks with 87 octane, dumbasses that are going to ghetto mod their setups for any ounce of power and try to claim warranty service when it breaks, etc. If a responsible and educated owner decides to build toward a race application, the motor and turbo setup can easily be improved for dramatic results.
Appreciate 0