02-03-2011, 03:37 AM   #1
foxyman
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI Manual

1M Coupe - South African spec, price and launch date

BMW SA put out a bulletin yesterday indicating the following:

Price of R532,500 incl. VAT ($74,000 or 46,000 pounds)
Start of retail planned for mid May 2011

Standard spec includes Air-conditioning system (not clear on if this is Climate Control or Manual), Xenons, Rain Sensor, USB Connection and Professional Radio with BMW ConnectedDrive range of systems (PDC, Adaptive headlights, etc) as options

Last edited by foxyman; 02-03-2011 at 03:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 04:29 AM   #2
ghusheshe
135 Addict
South Africa
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Thanks Foxyman, I am number 2 on the list with my paid R10k deposit.. Awesome
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 05:26 AM   #3
WULFFZA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MSport / 2012 X5 35d

Excluding sales tax and converting to USD, $65,000. So BMW SA makes at least $20,000 profit per car (surely the factory invoice is the same to every country?). Since they earn export credits on exports they're not paying full import duties, they're not manufactured there with different costs to manufacture etc to factor in, transport to SA probably costs more than to the US, but how much more.

Like any specialty model, its priced at what people will pay. So glad I moved to the US and can enjoy my car hobby. You guys get absolutely $crewed.

And before anyone jumps about purchasing power, you get less for your $ in SA than in the US, and then there's the fuel price...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Congrats on your purchase, but ouch, sucks that you have to pay through the nose for it.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
NPVPositive
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by WULFFZA View Post
Excluding sales tax and converting to USD, $65,000. So BMW SA makes at least $20,000 profit per car (surely the factory invoice is the same to every country?). Since they earn export credits on exports they're not paying full import duties, they're not manufactured there with different costs to manufacture etc to factor in, transport to SA probably costs more than to the US, but how much more.

Like any specialty model, its priced at what people will pay. So glad I moved to the US and can enjoy my car hobby. You guys get absolutely $crewed.

And before anyone jumps about purchasing power, you get less for your $ in SA than in the US, and then there's the fuel price...

It's even worse here in Oz. We are paying about US$85k before sales tax, luxury car tax, etc. With taxes and "on road costs" a base model Alpine White 1M will set you back US$110k.

BMW's margin in Australia must be AMAZING.

Clarkson on the 1M
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 01:51 AM   #6
Mu Mu
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenbrauezug View Post
Congrats on your purchase, but ouch, sucks that you have to pay through the nose for it.
Just to throw a spanner in the works here. The interesting thing is, as cars maybe more expensive here compared to the US, we tend to get quite a lot of things for less than you guys do. For example, our property prices are more reasonable in comparison. So are our basic commodities like food, et cetera. So one can easily say that it balances out at the end of the day.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 02:20 AM   #7
ghusheshe
135 Addict
South Africa
Rep

^^^^^^ I couldn't have said it better...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 08:02 AM   #8
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu Mu View Post
Just to throw a spanner in the works here. The interesting thing is, as cars maybe more expensive here compared to the US, we tend to get quite a lot of things for less than you guys do. For example, our property prices are more reasonable in comparison. So are our basic commodities like food, et cetera. So one can easily say that it balances out at the end of the day.
Touche my friend, touche.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #9
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Unfortnately it isn't true for Australia. Taxes are higher, property prices are higher, car prices are higher, food prices are higher etc etc. But we have a better health care system.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #10
Beemer323
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30 330i, e39 530i ESS e61 M5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPVPositive View Post
It's even worse here in Oz. We are paying about US$85k before sales tax, luxury car tax, etc. With taxes and "on road costs" a base model Alpine White 1M will set you back US$110k.

BMW's margin in Australia must be AMAZING.

BMW Aus love to rape you when you order parts through them also...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 11:39 AM   #11
WULFFZA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MSport / 2012 X5 35d

Quote:

Really? Prices must have dropped substantially in the last year. I grew up in East London, any house I'd want to live in now will cost in excess of R2.5M. For the same money you'd get a much nicer, newer and more custom house in central NC where I am now. You pay 14% VAT on just about everything, sales tax here is 3-7%. In the US as a CPA I am making about +-30% more than the similar job as a CA(SA) and ofcourse options are much more limited in SA for obvious reasons. With dollars in my pocket, vacationing there does seem cheaper (once you get there) but thats only with reference to entertainment, meals, grocery shopping etc. A substantial % of the population is living month to month if they're lucky to have a job, and eating out is a luxury for most of my family who are what you'd consider the upper middle class. Here eating out is an almost daily event whether its lunch or dinner.

Seems to me like I have alot more disposable income in the US and the cars are cheaper, on average 30-50% cheaper. It baffles me how the manufacturers have been able to get away with this markup on fully imported cars for so long.

It baffles me even more that MBSA exports C300 benzes with sport package (AMG kit in SA speak) as base model to the US and MBUSA sells them in the for the same money as a base C180K in SA. Are they selling the export models at a loss for market share? I doubt it.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #12
SDSmurf
Private
Rep
Drives: Subaru WRX

Definitely going to try for a test drive, even though there's no way in hell I can afford it at the moment.

But definitely a win over the R519 000 Subaru STI imo (some would say, obviously).
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 02:04 PM   #13
Mu Mu
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSmurf View Post

But definitely a win over the R519 000 Subaru STI imo (some would say, obviously).
I agree...want one. Perhaps in 6 months time.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 01:03 AM   #14
ghusheshe
135 Addict
South Africa
Rep

This car will be a rare species in SA. My dealer tells me, SA will get 50 cars this year. We have 51 BMW dealers across SA, so even if each dealer gets 1 car, one dealer will be short changed. Already there is 'fight' amongst dealerships in SA for allocations...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 05:09 AM   #15
SDSmurf
Private
Rep
Drives: Subaru WRX

Bugger, I guess I won't be getting that testdrive then either.....
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #16
alfaspa
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S JCW w/ GP Kit

new to the forum but i currently have a deposit down and am going in to the dealer tomorrow to spec my Alpine White 1Mmmmmmmmm coupe!

Jeez! i feel like a little kid! May is too far away!!!!!

btw, my dealer's system was down today so i couldn't spec it yet, but he emailed me screenshots of South African options directly from his desktop. the standard spec seems very thin and he couldn't verify the info in the 1M brochure that's been available online for a while now... According to what I saw, Xenon's are optional for SA cars as is automatic air con!!! can anyone else confirm?
Attached Images

Last edited by alfaspa; 02-08-2011 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: adding dealers option list
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 03:52 AM   #17
foxyman
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI Manual

The product bullettin indicated Xenons as standard but this was preliminary information and subject to change which seems to have the case....

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 05:44 AM   #18
Mu Mu
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

I damn well hope xenons and auto climate control are standard. Otherwise one would pay through their nose for such options, inclusive of others like NAV and H.K Audio, which would get you into a barely used e92 M.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 08:57 AM   #19
alfaspa
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S JCW w/ GP Kit

just got back from my dealer...

not good news.

confirmed that the reason our entry price is so 'reasonable' is due to the fact that as I suspected, no xenons, no auto air con. Apart from the M specific interior trim and wheels, everything else (and I mean everything else!) is optional extra. i am 3rd in queue and the allocations are still unknown... so still hopeful but anxious... to my spec i just added xenons, lumber support, heated seats (for the wife!) and anti-dazzle + folding mirrors. I don't need H&K sound or satnav, I know where Kromdraai is
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 02:08 AM   #20
ghusheshe
135 Addict
South Africa
Rep

^^ That's exactly what I have in my OTP (OFFER TO PURCHASE).. Xenon, auto aircon, bluetooth all options. Congrats man, which dealer have you placed your order with? My car comes to R567 000 with my options
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #21
Mu Mu
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghusheshe View Post
^^ That's exactly what I have in my OTP (OFFER TO PURCHASE).. Xenon, auto aircon, bluetooth all options. Congrats man, which dealer have you placed your order with? My car comes to R567 000 with my options
Congrats buddy!

I plan on placing an order in the next week or two. I've changed my mind about getting an e46 M. I want this car badly!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #22
akaTheDon
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 Series ///M Coupe

Its so pricey in SA , im getting mine from the U.K then shipping it back..
Appreciate 0