BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-04-2017, 01:50 AM   #1
Billytehbob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Help with brake noise

Hey guys, I've tried to do as much research as I could to solve this issue, but I can't seem to get it figured out. After driving for 5-10 min, my brakes will begin to exhibit a squeal that begins after moderate pressure is applied on the brake pedal. Light or heavy pressure exhibits no noise. Sometimes it's not there, most stops it is, and some days it's worse than others. I did a hard bedding procedure the other day, 2 sets of 8 hard brakes from 60 to 20 until I experienced brake fade, and the issue disappeared for about a day and a half. Now it's back and I don't get why.

Rotors and brake pads on both axles were replaced because of the issue, and nothing had changed. Sensors aren't interfering with anything, I know the rear pads are greased well, not 100% on the fronts because I didn't do them myself, but if I can get the noise to disappear after a bedding procedure, then I can't see it being that. Also sounds like the noise is definitely coming from the front.

I'm just pretty lost since I've been dealing with this since I bought the car. Considered changing to the durago rotors and going with some ceramic pads to get rid of the dust, but I'd love to avoid dropping $4-500 on that stuff to maybe get rid of noise.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 07:27 AM   #2
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billytehbob View Post
Hey guys, I've tried to do as much research as I could to solve this issue, but I can't seem to get it figured out. After driving for 5-10 min, my brakes will begin to exhibit a squeal that begins after moderate pressure is applied on the brake pedal. Light or heavy pressure exhibits no noise. Sometimes it's not there, most stops it is, and some days it's worse than others. I did a hard bedding procedure the other day, 2 sets of 8 hard brakes from 60 to 20 until I experienced brake fade, and the issue disappeared for about a day and a half. Now it's back and I don't get why.

Rotors and brake pads on both axles were replaced because of the issue, and nothing had changed. Sensors aren't interfering with anything, I know the rear pads are greased well, not 100% on the fronts because I didn't do them myself, but if I can get the noise to disappear after a bedding procedure, then I can't see it being that. Also sounds like the noise is definitely coming from the front.

I'm just pretty lost since I've been dealing with this since I bought the car. Considered changing to the durago rotors and going with some ceramic pads to get rid of the dust, but I'd love to avoid dropping $4-500 on that stuff to maybe get rid of noise.

Thanks
You didn't say what pad compound you used... some pad material will squeal at certain temps and that's just the nature of the beast.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 08:35 AM   #3
Billytehbob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Sorry, OEM pad material.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 07:56 AM   #4
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

If you used genuine pads and discs, they should not be noisy if fitted properly.

That means cleaning the caliper (clean the pistons, clean the four sliding sections where the short edges of the pads will strike).

And using the BMW brake grease. Apply the grease to the contact face of the pistons and put a 5mm diameter blob on your finger and smear this on each of the sliding sections you cleaned before.
Grease the short edge of the pads and grease where the pistons will kiss the back of the pads. This is the same procedure BMW specifies.

The other possibility is your caliper/s have sticky pistons that dont apply pressure evenly on the pad.

And just to clarify, you say you used OEM pads. Is that OEM as in Textar, etc or genuine BMW?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 07:53 PM   #5
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

https://blog.bavauto.com/12054/bmw-a...-noise-how-to/
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 12:49 PM   #6
dusty.brown
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

EBC Red Stuff and CRC Brake Grease

I searched. And found a solution that works great for me. I have the Brembo brakes.

1) I ditched the Textars and switched to EBC Red Stuff Ceramic pads up front. The textar dust was horrible on my silver wheels.

2) I bought a big tube of CRC Brake Grease and applied it to the back of the pad where the three piston faces touch the pad. I applied it to the "wings" on each end of the pad and inside of the caliper where the wings sit.
https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05361-Sil.../dp/B0091KCG0W

No more noise. Nothing. Nada. For two months/4,000 miles now. And considerably less dust.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 02:43 AM   #7
HaroonBalushi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Dusty.brown

That's seems interesting, I might give it a shot.

I've been having this issue for so long now and I'm on the verge of giving up and live with it lol. I've got the BMW performance brake kit front/back with hawk performance pads (street) and the squeaking noise when I stop on a traffic lights/stop sign etc, is just so embarrassing.
I guess I'll give a show of what dusty.brown did.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 04:49 AM   #8
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Make sure you buy the grease and not the red "Disc Brake Quiet" product if you are to apply it like Dusty.Brown.

Do not apply Disc Brake Quiet to moving contact surfaces.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 08:26 AM   #9
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by juld0zer View Post
Make sure you buy the grease and not the red "Disc Brake Quiet" product if you are to apply it like Dusty.Brown.

Do not apply Disc Brake Quiet to moving contact surfaces.
What does the OE brake grease look like?

I have used genuine Brembo pad grease on my pads. It is an extremely thick copper grease. Seems to work well, have never had any noise from my brakes.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 03:11 PM   #10
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

It comes in sachets, grey paste that is quite light. It resembles antiseize in terms of thickness, so it applies easily but also washes away easily if you use a pressure washer.

Unless you can get your hands on the old formula which is rumoured to be a variant of Plastilube inside a condom-like sachet
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 11:17 PM   #11
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
+1 for EBC Redstuff pads for the front for a street car. No noise, no dust.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 02:54 PM   #12
135iWashDC
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I've had this same problem with mine. New OEM rotors and parts, nothing fixed it. Will look into these!
Appreciate 0