BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #177
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
I haven't followed Paul's off screen life, but from what I'm seeing, he was a phenominal human being. He spent much of his time helping others in more ways than most people do.
Rest in peace Paul. You will be missed by many.

As a side: The entire car community should setup charity "drives" and shows for his charities that he was affiliated with.
this is his charity:

https://www.roww.org/
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #178
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2meg00se View Post
The police are saying that the car was going at least 90mph when it impacted the telephone pole. He may have been alive in a technical sense when the fire started, but there's no way his brain was functioning.
If that is true, then he certainly wasn't conscious when he burned. I think he probably would have died later of internal injuries later, but that is really an unknown factor.

What is annoying is all the Porsche apologists are coming out of the woodwork talking about all the safety features the car has. I mean what is the point of all the seatbelts, crumple zones, elaborate braking components, yada yada yada if the car is going to explode like a bomb? I would rather be killed on impact than survive the impact (because of all the great safety equipment) so that I can be burned alive a half a second later.

The only real relevant safety issue is whether Porsche could have done anything reasonable to reduce the chance of fire after an impact.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #179
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #180
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2meg00se
The police are saying that the car was going at least 90mph when it impacted the telephone pole. He may have been alive in a technical sense when the fire started, but there's no way his brain was functioning.
Seriously, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

As if any of this speculation matters.

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #181
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Paul Walker's friend describes the accident scene

http://youtu.be/lgcZ72BLXHA

[u2b]
[/u2b]

Last edited by car_fan; 12-05-2013 at 08:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #182
Talk2meg00se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Seriously, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

As if any of this speculation matters.

No, it cannot be known as an absolute certainty whether he lacked consciousness when the fire ignited, but it also cannot be disputed that the extreme forces generated by the near instantaneous deceleration from "at least 90mph" to 0 would enact severe and immediately debilitating trauma upon the organs, including the brain. The odds that he somehow retained consciousness throughout the accident are extremely low.

There are a lot of engineers on this board - I'm sure that someone could do the math demonstrating that the forces generated by a 90-to-0 accident are 10x (100x?) what a right hook from Mike Tyson might create.
      12-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #183
EvenSteven
Banned
Rep
Drives: '11 m3

We can surmise an impact like that would probably knock you the fuck out, and that is confirmed by the witness, but all of your commentary about the severity and degree of disability and whether he would be braindead from his injuries or not, is all pointless, insensitive and morbid speculation.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #184
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
The fuel cell is located in front of the cabin.
That is not correct according to this article:

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/deb...-po-1475054822

The fuel tank is situated behind the cabin, between the passengers and the engine.

So in a headon crash (probably the most likely type of accident in a supercar), the heaviest item in the car is going to do its dammdest to maintain its forward momentum. In this case, it happens to be a boiling hot engine. And if this engine can disconnect itself from the supports holding it in place, it will fly forwards crushing the gas tank which is right behind the passenger and driver.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 12:29 AM   #185
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
We can surmise an impact like that would probably knock you the fuck out, and that is confirmed by the witness, but all of your commentary about the severity and degree of disability and whether he would be braindead from his injuries or not, is all pointless, insensitive and morbid speculation.
+1
Some of this thread has gone to sh*t. What started as a memorial thread turned into sickening conjecture in order to satisfy their curiosity. Let's not get caught up in the circumstances of how they died, but talk more about how they lived.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 02:03 AM   #186
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
No, it cannot be known as an absolute certainty...
And then?

Who cares. You are not a doctor...

RIP BOYS!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #187
Swervd
Private
Rep
Drives: E89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
A pathetic attempt by someone trying to catapult her career by writing something controversial. I doubt she is sincere about any of it.

Before this, had you ever heard of 'Adora Bull'??? Me neither.
Yep. Exactly what she is doing. Such a horrible human being. But her plan worked, we are talking about her and know her name.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 10:53 PM   #188
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

For God's sakes people, this wreck is not an indictment of the Carrera GT. Its likely that both men would've died in ANY car under these circumstances. The speed was the problem, not the fuel cell location or anything else.

RIP to Walker who seems to have been a really good person.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 12:26 AM   #189
Talk2meg00se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric View Post
For God's sakes people, this wreck is not an indictment of the Carrera GT. Its likely that both men would've died in ANY car under these circumstances. The speed was the problem, not the fuel cell location or anything else.

yeah, the updated assessment put them at 120 mph plus.
      01-04-2014, 02:42 PM   #190
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Not that we needed to bring this back up, but news reports today said that it was determined the Carrera GT was travelling 100 MPH (duh) when Rodas lost control of it. Of course the news then has to say "the coroner found no drugs or alcohol in either of the men's systems." To which I just need to say, the Carrera WAS the drug they were on. News nerds just don't get it.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 09:17 PM   #191
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric View Post

Some cars designed for safety can allow their occupants to survive crashes at speed. You may be right that nobody could have survived a crash like this no matter what car they were driving, but how do know this? Maybe you should report the speed of impact to the CHP because they are still investigating it.

Last I heard the CHP is waiting for Porsche engineers to arrive in California to get data out of the car's black box. But if you know more about the accident, maybe they can cancel the Porsche engineer's plane tickets.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 02:00 AM   #192
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

In my opinion, this Carrera GT is a very poor vehicle in terms of safety.
A vehicle that cost that much and claims to be somewhere in the ultra sportcars level, should be able to protect its passengers to a certain degree.
I am absolutely sure that in a different car it will be a different story. I have seen smaller, cheaper sport vehicles, including M3's jumping out of the cliff, rolling over, and the owner walked away with some scratches.

I have some friends in Europe, they fell of the bridge that was 50 meters high with a 6000 euros Citroen and they walk from the scene.

I think this is a big slap on Porsche's face, this car does not provide safety and it doesn't worth the money. A vehicle that is able to run at a certain speed should be able to resist a certain degree of impact. You expect from a vehicle with a such image to be well built because is not cheap either.
Or it should come with a disclaimer, that the bumper resist at 5 km/h impact and that the passengers are relatively safe at max 100km/h. Over that speed in case of an impact the occupants may die or the vehicle can explode.

I am not surprised, there are many expensive but very. fragile cars out there. Have a look at this website. They do have some problems but the manufacturer does not care.

http://www.lambounfall.de/lamborghin...ago-crash.html

I do believe that some cars really don't worththe money. There is a point where regardless how much I love cars, I wouldn't spend that insane amount of money for some cars. I have just seen a brand new Ferrari last fall and some parts were so cheap that actualy shocked me. Yeah, some people can buy them, I wouldn't.

I will never buy that Carrera GT regardless of its specs. It is just an expensive cart.
To bad that good people died...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #193
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
In my opinion, this Carrera GT is a very poor vehicle in terms of safety.
A vehicle that cost that much and claims to be somewhere in the ultra sportcars level, should be able to protect its passengers to a certain degree.
I am absolutely sure that in a different car it will be a different story. I have seen smaller, cheaper sport vehicles, including M3's jumping out of the cliff, rolling over, and the owner walked away with some scratches.

I have some friends in Europe, they fell of the bridge that was 50 meters high with a 6000 euros Citroen and they walk from the scene.

I think this is a big slap on Porsche's face, this car does not provide safety and it doesn't worth the money. A vehicle that is able to run at a certain speed should be able to resist a certain degree of impact. You expect from a vehicle with a such image to be well built because is not cheap either.
Or it should come with a disclaimer, that the bumper resist at 5 km/h impact and that the passengers are relatively safe at max 100km/h. Over that speed in case of an impact the occupants may die or the vehicle can explode.

I am not surprised, there are many expensive but very. fragile cars out there. Have a look at this website. They do have some problems but the manufacturer does not care.

http://www.lambounfall.de/lamborghin...ago-crash.html

I do believe that some cars really don't worththe money. There is a point where regardless how much I love cars, I wouldn't spend that insane amount of money for some cars. I have just seen a brand new Ferrari last fall and some parts were so cheap that actualy shocked me. Yeah, some people can buy them, I wouldn't.

I will never buy that Carrera GT regardless of its specs. It is just an expensive cart.
To bad that good people died...
Nothing against your opinion, but you are trying to compare the safety of standard typical consumer based vehicles (most of which are steel frame and steel paneled), against the safety of a supercar designed for speed and agility. Enzo, Aventador, etc, are all carbon fiber unibody structured, does that mean it is a huge slap in the face to Ferrari and Lamborghini alike?

The cars are most likely deweighted by not adding all the extra safety assessments that typical vehicles do have, for what I would assume are performance gains for, dare I say, track purposes. It may have front and side airbags, but it is still built on a carbon fiber chassis, you can't expect things to end well in a 100mph collision with...., anything. It will end bad, what do you want Porsche to do, build a steel cage around the reduced weight chassis, to "protect" the driver? There is a reason these high end cars seem to have "cheap" or "lacking" safety systems. They aren't bought as safe vehicles, they are bought as enthusiast vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 10:23 AM   #194
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
Nothing against your opinion, but you are trying to compare the safety of standard typical consumer based vehicles (most of which are steel frame and steel paneled), against the safety of a supercar designed for speed and agility. Enzo, Aventador, etc, are all carbon fiber unibody structured, does that mean it is a huge slap in the face to Ferrari and Lamborghini alike?

The cars are most likely deweighted by not adding all the extra safety assessments that typical vehicles do have, for what I would assume are performance gains for, dare I say, track purposes. It may have front and side airbags, but it is still built on a carbon fiber chassis, you can't expect things to end well in a 100mph collision with...., anything. It will end bad, what do you want Porsche to do, build a steel cage around the reduced weight chassis, to "protect" the driver? There is a reason these high end cars seem to have "cheap" or "lacking" safety systems. They aren't bought as safe vehicles, they are bought as enthusiast vehicles.
Pretty much...

Even limited production cars have to be crash certified. But no crash testing is done at speeds anywhere near 100mph.

The assumption that other cars would have fared better is baseless.

Didn't Lady Di meet her demise in an S-Class, one of the safest cars you can find? But again, it was high speed(though I cannot remember, they might have not been wearing seatbelts which undermines my point lol).

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 05:20 PM   #195
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
While I do know about the benefits in regards with a lightweight body, I still believe that these cars should be more safe. Or, as I said, disclose the fact that after a certain speed the car is not safe.
And I include in here also the passive safety factor, when somebody else will hit that car, not necessarily the driver's fault. Nonetheless, it is one thing to crash the car due to its soft shell, and another to burst in fire due to some poor safety features. There are many cases with crashes but the vehicle didn't burst on fire because of some good engineering.
Do I believe that it needs a safety cell? Yeah, make it safe and fast then I will think about it; building a fancy cardboard car that is fast does not justify the money.

So, is a fast car but not safe. If you want to be safe, you don't drive it too fast. If you don't drive it too fast, you don't spend that amount of money, you can very well be safer in an M3/M5 which is steel, has more airbags and is cheaper.
Bottom line, do not buy these cars, invest the money in something else, like nice holidays.
I do understand that it is an enthusiast car, but who needs an expensive fast coffin?
In this case, I guess I am not an enthusiast.

In regards with the Lamborghini, please read the link I have provided, the cars are not safe due to some very similar mechanical problems that occurs in many cases, not hitting a tree at 100mph. they just broke and then the car jumps all over on autobahn. These guys just used them as they supposed to be used. Totally different story.

I will buy one? NO!!!
Never.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 08:57 PM   #196
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

Its just a situation where one little lapse in judgement, one small mistake, cost two men their lives. Makes me think about how much stupid crap I've gotten away with in my life and how lucky we all really are when you get right down to it...
Appreciate 0