BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Can I Fit All 4 Wheels and Tires Inside My 1M?

I am doing PCD with my 1M and plan to mount a winter tire setup for the drive home to the Upper Midwest. Since my car will arrive at the Performance Center with its stock summer tires, I'm wondering if I'll be able to fit all 4 summer wheels/tires inside my 1M for drive home. I'll probably have a passenger in the front seat, too, so I'm hoping the summer wheels/tires will fit in the trunk and back seat area, maybe with the seats folded down.

Does anyone know if this will work?

Other than the summer tires, I won't be carrying much else. It will be a very quick trip back so I won't need to pack much.

I figure this might be good to know for those in a similar situation (needing to drive their 1M home in winter from PCD or an out-of-state dealer). Also for those who may be heading to the track and want to bring a track setup.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BYU View Post
I am doing PCD with my 1M and plan to mount a winter tire setup for the drive home to the Upper Midwest. Since my car will arrive at the Performance Center with its stock summer tires, I'm wondering if I'll be able to fit all 4 summer wheels/tires inside my 1M for drive home. I'll probably have a passenger in the front seat, too, so I'm hoping the summer wheels/tires will fit in the trunk and back seat area, maybe with the seats folded down.

Does anyone know if this will work?

Other than the summer tires, I won't be carrying much else. It will be a very quick trip back so I won't need to pack much.

I figure this might be good to know for those in a similar situation (needing to drive their 1M home in winter from PCD or an out-of-state dealer). Also for those who may be heading to the track and want to bring a track setup.
no problem, fits without any problem. With the backset folded all 4 tires fit standing up, so a lot a space left. Did it myself more then once
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post
no problem, fits without any problem. With the backset folded all 4 tires fit standing up, so a lot a space left. Did it myself more then once
Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
silvs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post
By this you mean you just throw them in the backseat? Just want to make sure as I'm picking them up today. =)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Fold down both rear seats, then put the tires in, that way you dont risk or dirty the leather seats... you just dirty the carpet that is mounted on the backs of the seats ( easily cleaned)

if they are loose tires with no wheels ...bring a bungee cord... the tires will roll foward every time you decelerate or slow...very annoying..

if they are mounted wheels and tires, you will need a ratcheting strap..bungees wont handle the momentum of the heavier assemblies in a short stop. there are a few holes underneath the package tray where you can put the hooks for the strap..

I transport my race wheels like this 5 /8 times a year... never an issue !!
      11-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

I just came back from VIR with 4 wheels/tires, one large piece of luggage, a huge duffle bag full of racing gear, and 2 sleeping bags. It takes a little creativity but worked fine. I don't think I'd try it with a passenger that has a lot of stuff. (i.e. most women)
      11-03-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
bayer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Discount Tire has HUGE plastic bags for transporting tires/wheels in your car. That will help protect your interior a bit.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #8
wkndwrrr
Private First Class
Rep

With the seats down, you can fit a surprising amount of stuff in this car
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #9
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

Since I've been transporting track wheels/tires in mine I use these. Without them my interior would be really messed up.

http://store.bimmerworld.com/tire-totes-p591.aspx
      11-03-2011, 07:59 PM   #10
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

I was able to transport a set of stock 261 rims with RFT's mounted, plus 4 new Hankook V20's (225's amd 245's) all in at the same time. ok, two of the new tires were in the front passenger side, but still - it was no problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 11:33 PM   #11
HALOTHANE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: INTERLAGOS ZCP

Garage List
Photos please!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 12:03 AM   #12
silvs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M VO

Just did this today, seats down and a set of 18's with tires in the back. Worked great, although almost was murdered when on the final turn home one of the tires decided it wanted to try to roll into my head.

Luckily it stopped on its own and all was fine, interior shows no signs! Had tire totes. Looking back if you are going any distance, tie the suckers down as DriveHard mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 01:01 AM   #13
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MVO View Post
Photos please!
I don't have photos, however the four 261's with RFT's were lying flat on the folded down rear seat with the rears closest to the front seats. You have to do this with the front seats in the 'convenient entry' position so you can pull them into postion from the front. The two new rear Hankook Ventus tires were then stacked on top of the rear wheels close to the front seats, as there is plenty of headroom. Since the front 261's were flat in the 'trunk' there was not room to stack the new front tires on top of them. So I placed one of the new front tires in the passenger side footwell, with the second on the front passenger seat, in the 'sitting' position. I removed the headrest on the passenger seat so I could still see the mirror on the passenger side, as the passenger seat was in the forward position. Each rim/tire and new tire were in XXL (35" x 50") green garbage bags so no marks were left on any interior surface. I only did this to get from home to the tire/wheel shop. There, they mounted the new Hankooks on the donor (mint condition) 261's - balanced and aligned the wheels. The RFT's on the donor replacement wheels were worn out and were discarded. I drove home with my original 261's and RFTs in tire bags in the back as described above.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #14
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Bumping this ancient thread.

Planning to shuttle my track wheels with me this weekend.

2 x 18x9.5 w/ 265, 2 x 18x10.5 w/ 285, + my jack and other crap.

Where would I ratchet down the the strap? Not really seeing a great spot...

Pics would be great!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 06:32 AM   #15
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post

if they are mounted wheels and tires, you will need a ratcheting strap..bungees wont handle the momentum of the heavier assemblies in a short stop. there are a few holes underneath the package tray where you can put the hooks for the strap..
You heading up to Hallett? You're going to love that track if you've never been. It's one of my favorites around here. Have fun!!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #16
lcrain
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
You heading up to Hallett? You're going to love that track if you've never been. It's one of my favorites around here. Have fun!!
I am...I could not get all the tires to fit in the backseat. But I threw one in the trunk and fit everything else around it. So I am packed and ready to go.

Now just wait through and abbreviated day at work...

I am super excited, from what I have heard/seen on youtube it looks like a really fun track.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #17
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Yep, a wonderful track! Been there 4-5 times (all during the One Lap of America) and can't wait to get back.

David Hobbs once referred to it as his favorite track in the states.

Glad you get everything packed, but surprised you couldn't fit all tires in his back seat. Like others, I fit my track wheels (265/35-18 front, 285/30-18 rear) standing upright on the rear seat.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #18
p66
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hey Lawson, is Philip. We met today at Hallett. Hope your last two sessions went well. I can Actually fit 2(275) and 2(295) Hoosiers across the back with seats down. There are two loops along the back panel of the trunk just underneath the locking mechanism. It's a tight fit but worth the effort. I bring so much useless crap I need the entire trunk available.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 09:47 PM   #19
lcrain
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by p66 View Post
Hey Lawson, is Philip. We met today at Hallett. Hope your last two sessions went well. I can Actually fit 2(275) and 2(295) Hoosiers across the back with seats down. There are two loops along the back panel of the trunk just underneath the locking mechanism. It's a tight fit but worth the effort. I bring so much useless crap I need the entire trunk available.
It was nice to meet you Philip, your car is a beast! I fit three in the back seat and one in the trunk. I didn't bring as much peripheral equipment so I was able to fit everything comfortably. I will try too fit them all in there next time.

Do you have anymore events planned this year? Unfortunately I can't make the cca event in October, but I want to make a few more this year. I really enjoyed hallett, great track!

Again. Nice to meet you and I really enjoyed checking out your car!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #20
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

i missed this since I headed up to hallet early for the ITS..

I have on occasion gotten the wheels to fit with the rear seat DOWN, but when the rear seat is down it makes the following changes.

- the wheels sit HIGHER up in the vehicle blocking more view to the rear.
- sometimes i just can't fit them laying down side by side with the rear seat down. I have identifed that the rear sear armrests become a greater issue when the rear seat is down. They take up a few precious inches of clearance.
- more road noise in the interior from the rear being open to the trunk.

So.. to avoid these issues, I discovered that leaving the rear seat UP actually allows for more clearance.

I have found that 285/30/18 R1s on 18 x 10s, 275/35/18 hoosiers, 265/35/18 hankook RS-3, and stock wheels and tires fit in the back seat as follows

-leave rear seat *UP*
-place blanket ( if desired) over seat to protect leather - note: tire totes also help here to protect interior as well
-place bottom wheel on one side
-place second wheel on bottom on the other side - they fit snugly so minor jostling may be needed to get the wheel to settle
-place top wheels on both sides

the wheels on top may lean back towards the rear of the car as the rear deck is canted at an angle- this helps with the two top wheels NOT moving forward when braking.

-slide seat back as far as possible to make contact with the lower wheels so that they don't shift under braking.

With all 4 wheels in the back seat.. I can then pack the entire trunk with my track box, helmet bag, and other packed luggage.

I have carried wheels to the track in this fashion for years in both the 1M and an E30 M3 and never had an issue.. so for me it's not a big concern,, however if you are very concerned about the wheels shifing under braking, then perhaps play with the placement of tires with the rear seat down. - there are tie downs available when the seat is down.

one can also pack them like a 4 pack of life saver candy ala Mdorphn-

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 09-09-2013 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #21
timbo_3101
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slow

I stand up my four 19" stock tyres (245/265) with the rear seats up, and it means the driver's seat is shifted quite far forward. This may be uncomfortably cramped for taller individuals, but does free up the boot for fuel, equipment, corpses, etc
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #22
p66
First Lieutenant
Rep

Lawson, I don't have anything planned for the rest of the year. Might do Cresson in December. You were running competitive laps.
Appreciate 0