BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
iGot1
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: silver 125i

Help me fix my paint please

So firstly i know pretty much nothing when it comes to detailing, i generally just take it to the car wash. My problem is probably best described by how it occurred, in SA we don't pump our own gas, so while the car was being filled i was in the store when i came out the attendant was having a good go at a big spot of bird #$%^ on the bonnet with the window cleaning squeegee which is a mesh wrapped sponge and what i guess is just dish/window washing liquid.. needless to stay i stopped it quickly but apparently not quickly enough..

So I'm assuming the clearcoat was stripped off just in that spot and now there are tons of horizontal micro scratches.. and depending on where the light is coming from almost a smoother area. (i'll try get photos tomorrow). I can definitely feel a difference in texture in that spot(about the size of a side plate, it must have been a huge bird)

So what do i do now? We don't get most of the brands of detailing products here but i can get meguiars stuff..

Advice and perhaps some reassurance would be most appreciated..
      07-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
moosey
Rep
Drives: 128i

Sounds like scratches to me. I'm not sure if a squeege would actually take the clear off. It'll take an abrasive polish to correct it. Meguiar's should have you covered there.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 04:42 AM   #3
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Meguiar's ScratchX (I know you can obtain this in SA)

This forum has a great bunch of contributors, they are always willing to help -http://www.waxon.co.za/
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 12:28 AM   #4
slim_e90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM E-88

I've had very similar damage. Looked like deep scratches but they actually did not penetrate the clear coat. I would doubt if your scratches did either.

Meguires m105 followed by m205 and then a sealant, black diamond made it good as new for me. I used a DA for all 3 steps on BSM (black paint).

Good luck

|move over... please|
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

Slim is correct; for anyone with a DA (dual-action, aka random-orbital) polisher, that process would work on most any issue with moderate to severe marring, and for whole-car detailing. I've used that very process on family members' cars (my 1er doesn't have such issues, so far) with good results.

Not everyone wants to invest in a pile of detailing supplies. In that case, I would try Scratch-X first. If that doesn't work, than an appointment with a detailer might be in order.

I would be willing to bet that it is "fixable."
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
iGot1
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: silver 125i

Hey guys

Sorry should have closed this.. thanks to TOGWT, i got some scratch-x some foam pads and megs wax and went at it by hand... two rounds of the scratch-x and it was like new, so i had to go over the car an find all the other little scratches and do those too.. so now waxed and all the car is looking great.. my OCD maybe not as great but hey..

anyway thanks for the great advice as always.