GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by atv12 View Post
the problem is not in fading.. i use hawk hp+ pads and going to change them to ferodo 1.11 or 2.11 and motul 660 brake fluid.
but the problem is that my stock rotors began vibrating after overheating on the track.. so i'm afraid that it can happen again... may be there are any more strong aftermarket rotors for the stock support??
Probably pad deposits on the rotors from overheating HP+ on track. A standard cure is to clean deposits off rotors by street driving a day or two with cold abrasive pads like Hawk Blue or other semi-metallic.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #46
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Probably pad deposits on the rotors from overheating HP+ on track. A standard cure is to clean deposits off rotors by street driving a day or two with cold abrasive pads like Hawk Blue or other semi-metallic.
+1.

HP+ is not really up to track use, especially in a fast and relatively heavy car.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 11:18 AM   #47
atv12
Private
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: ///1M Coupe

guys, thanks for your suggestions!
but vibrations began after racing on full stock brakes...
hp+ have been installed after that accident...
i agree that probably i start braking strongly too early, not giving the rotors to warm up properly..
well, i'll buy the stock rotors then, and try to give them more time to warm up and to cool down..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #48
IZZY79
Private
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 1M 2012 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
01s have a bit more initial bite, but I get almost twice as much life out of the 06 pads and, for that reason, prefer them for HPDEs/open track events.

Neil
I am kind of new at this, so Im sorry if I apear Ignorant...

If I put the 06 pads can I use it also for everyday use?

And, Will I loose my warranty?

I apreciate any help, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #49
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Swapping brake pads should not affect your warranty unless your dealer wants to give you a hard time about tracking the car. (Brake pads may be seen as proof of that.)

For daily driving, track pads will make a lot more noise and dust, and some will not work well in cold temps. That will vary from pad to pad, but the more aggressive ones may not work well even at warm summer temps until you have made a few stops. Rotors will also wear more quickly.

Pad swaps are quick. Jacking the car and removing the wheels is the most time consuming part. Replacing or (at least) bleeding the brake fluid is recommended for track prep anyway. If you plan on doing track days, these are two things that you should learn to do as they are pretty easy and shops seem to charge way too much to do it.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #50
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by atv12 View Post
guys, thanks for your suggestions!
but vibrations began after racing on full stock brakes...
hp+ have been installed after that accident...
i agree that probably i start braking strongly too early, not giving the rotors to warm up properly..
well, i'll buy the stock rotors then, and try to give them more time to warm up and to cool down..
I had this problem on my 550i when I ran HP+. Probably the pads were overheating and causing the vibration. The only reason I would go back to OEM rotors is for the US new car warranty. Otherwise, you should be able to find better aftermarket rotors.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #51
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheres79 View Post
I am kind of new at this, so Im sorry if I apear Ignorant...

If I put the 06 pads can I use it also for everyday use?

And, Will I loose my warranty?

I apreciate any help, thanks!
PFC06 are track pads. You can use them driving to and from track and for a few days before and after. But you'll almost for sure want to swap back to street pads, because the PFC pads are noisy, dusty and expensive.

About warranty, most dealers won't do scheduled rotor replacements if they see aftermarket pads, but a few will.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #52
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Sounds like a pad and, perhaps, break-in and/or braking technique problem.

FWIW, I've been running Performance Friction pads (PFC-01, -06 and -08) with stock rotors and have had no problems.

I did add cooling ducts, but that was primarily for longevity.

Neil

I agree... perhaps not enough of a cool down lap? that or pad deposits on rotors from switching pads.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 09:27 PM   #53
IZZY79
Private
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 1M 2012 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
PFC06 are track pads. You can use them driving to and from track and for a few days before and after. But you'll almost for sure want to swap back to street pads, because the PFC pads are noisy, dusty and expensive.

About warranty, most dealers won't do scheduled rotor replacements if they see aftermarket pads, but a few will.

Thanks for the info! Much apreciated
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 01:36 PM   #54
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

Wow, about to go to a HPDE tomorrow morning and just seeing this.

I've been advised by a guy with a lot of BMW track experience with OEM brakes and fluid that thought I would be fine, and that most people who get massive fade and deposits on stock equipment aren't driving properly at the track.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 11:39 PM   #55
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I changed my fluid, so I can't comment on that.

The stock pads held up fine in 15 to 20 minute sessions on a 72 degree day at a brake intensive track. The pedal gets soft, and needs a little more pressure, but they do the job. I definitely felt like an upgrade would be worth it for confidence and pedal feel, but not required.

As for longevity, I have 28000 miles on the car. After 10 autocrosses, the pad sensors indicated 17000 to 18000 miles remaining. That dropped to 4000 front and 6000 rear after 1 track day, but the numbers haven't changed in 2000 miles of driving since then. Direct inspection of the pads shows only 1-2mm of material gone from my pre-event inspection, so I think the car calculates the miles remaining based on the pad thickness AND recent rate of wear. It looks like I could easily get another 1-2 track days out of them. I'll update after my next event on 6/25.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 08:33 AM   #56
atv12
Private
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: ///1M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by COChris View Post

I've been advised by a guy with a lot of BMW track experience with OEM brakes and fluid that thought I would be fine, and that most people who get massive fade and deposits on stock equipment aren't driving properly at the track.

Any thoughts?
Exactly. But it depends on the tracks config and type of your tire. If you go with road tire and the track is a fast corner one without full throttle/full stop sectors, then you'll be definitely fine with oem brakes and fluids. And cooling down laps help to save the brakes as well.. But if we talk about timeattack with harsh late braking on sharp curves, driving slicks or semislicks, then pads and fluid have to be changed undoubtedly..
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2015, 12:37 PM   #57
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by COChris View Post

Any thoughts?

OEM should be fine yes... especially if you aren't over braking... how was it?
Appreciate 0