BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-13-2007, 09:49 AM   #1
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Frankfurt 1-er Debut... Satisfied?

Frankfurt 1-er Debut...Satisfied?

Frankfurt Boom or Bust?

First of all sincere thanks to drillslinger for posting his impressions and his pics. A really cool and much appreciated effort.

But was it really such a great debut? To me it seemed a little flat and that the X6 was the star of BMW’s booth... maybe it’s me...maybe I expected a little more info.

For example, aren’t there going to be additional press pics and publicity photos...coming out of Frankfurt?

And finally why no additional colors besides black-and Sedona Red? ( whose color is still as elusive as ever....at least to me...under some lighting at Frankfurt the car seemed indeed, red, in others a washed out copper color).

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 09:54 AM   #2
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

The IAA went off pretty much as I expected - I didn't think we'd get much out of this show. The meat in this sandwhich is coming when we see driving impresssions (hopefully next week or so).

These shows have a ton of folks clammoring for the execs, so I can understand Drillslinger's frustration. They are stinking Rugby scrums. The trick is to find an engineer standing to the side and get them talking - find out what they are responsible for on the car, have them show you it - express an 'Ah, so that's how that works, clever!' and as long as you can keep the PR handler away they talk (good social engineering ; -).

BMW probably was pushing the much bolder X6 - I think they have more tied to that than the 1er. The coupe is merely an extension to the current line - and this is Frankfurt, DE not Frankfurt, KY so pricing is going to be assumed for the Euro market based on exisiting 1er prices and the rest of the lines sedans/coupe ratios. I wasn't surprised that the 128 wasn't there - it's a US market only vehicle. It's w-a-y too early to be talking pricing for the US market - we'll get the hints - but I do believe BMW sees this as a way of pulling in buyers of Japanese cars. That quote from the BMW exec was the money quote - the pricing was not the key but the target audience was.

In the grand scheme of things autoshows are shams - dances with bad music and bad refreshments. We may be days away from driving impressions. And that's when my frustration level will build. I want to spend 15 minutes behind the wheel so badly.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 09:58 AM   #3
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

completely agree with hugo.

i would add that the way i saw it this was the X6's show and merely the green light for 1er promo campaign. i'd expect the promotion effort for the 1er to ramp up now ... including test drives very soon. perhaps the LA show that people have mentioned is the 1er N/A time to shine.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 10:03 AM   #4
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

No surprise for me...
After all, in Europe, the coupe is just an addition to an existing series (hatch).

It will be a much bigger deal at the N.Amer. shows.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 10:05 AM   #5
GreenMonster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Meh... I won't be satisfied until official US pricing and specs (ordering sheets) have been released...
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 10:07 AM   #6
Lips
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I agree with the Green Monster

Lips
      09-13-2007, 10:08 AM   #7
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post

BMW probably was pushing the much bolder X6 - I think they have more tied to that than the 1er. The coupe is merely an extension to the current line - and this is Frankfurt, DE not Frankfurt, KY so pricing is going to be assumed for the Euro market based on exisiting 1er prices and the rest of the lines sedans/coupe ratios. I wasn't surprised that the 128 wasn't there - it's a US market only vehicle. It's w-a-y too early to be talking pricing for the US market - we'll get the hints - but I do believe BMW sees this as a way of pulling in buyers of Japanese cars. That quote from the BMW exec was the money quote - the pricing was not the key but the target audience was.
Great observation Hugo. Completely agree, especially about Mr. D's "leaked" comments over price. That sort of foreplay I dig.
On the other hand I was wishing for a variety of colors and options...
a 1/2 dozen 1-ers on the showroom platforms..where was the 128? LeMans Blue? Alpine White?

GM is right...the money is the info.

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 10:36 AM   #8
Bill K
Private
Rep
Drives: S2000

[quote=atr_hugo;18449]The IAA went off pretty much as I expected - I didn't think we'd get much out of this show. The meat in this sandwhich is coming when we see driving impresssions (hopefully next week or so

I agree....
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 10:55 AM   #9
Nixon
Banned
Rep
Drives: :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
I was wishing for a variety of colors and options...
a 1/2 dozen 1-ers on the showroom platforms..where was the 128? LeMans Blue? Alpine White?
I have a suspicion that only the M-cars are going to have promo shots in Alpine White. White seems to be the hot color in europe - at least according to Top Gear. I think BMW is using white on the M-cars to differentiate and brand them as the 'Hot' BMW's compared to the rest of their models. Many manufacturers select a color to brand a vehicle, and then stick to it in the majority of their ads.

I think we are going to see a lot of Sedona Red 1er's, so get used to it. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 12:16 PM   #10
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Brookside: why would BMW display a 128i when it's not sold there? Did you see BMW Diesels on last year's auto show circuit?

Interesting that white is hot in Europe. I know it is not, or was not, hot in the UK in 2005. I bought a White Land Rover, and my UK cronies gave me no end of heck about buying the "white lorry" as they associated it with police, ambulance, and work vehicles, not personal vehicles.

I was fairly satisfied with the launch, it was what I expected, although I'd be more satisfied if I was there touching and sitting in them! And sipping Augustiner, of course.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 12:27 PM   #11
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati View Post
Brookside: why would BMW display a 128i when it's not sold there? Did you see BMW Diesels on last year's auto show circuit?
a) It's the international debut...
b) if you are speaking of the US- no, did you?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 12:28 PM   #12
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Es Ist Bier Uhr!!

JW Augustiner in Munich is one of my all time favorites!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 01:06 PM   #13
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Frankfurt autoshow leaves me longing for more. Naturally, I am not happy 1's debut was eclipsed by X6's and the lack of additional information provided by BMW, but I don't think I will be satisfied until I have a 1 in my driverway. I am looking forward to LA's Autoshow in Nov.
      09-13-2007, 01:11 PM   #14
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Zwei Helles, Bitte.

Love that stuff. We spent, eh, a few evenings at the various Augustiner biergartens.

Brookside: even though it may have been the "international" unveiling, it is not unusual to have all international variations. For example, when the 1er convertible is unveiled at Detroit in January, BMW will not feature, say, a 123d Convertible. Manufacturers usually display models sold in that country, especially with these bread-and-butter models.

My second question was rhetorical in nature. Sorry, it is sometimes hard to come across correctly in typed language.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 01:42 PM   #15
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Who could be satisfied by this showing of the 1-Series? Other than letting people take lots of pictures of the cars, BMW revealed absolutely nothing of consequence. Most automotive websites barely covered the 1-Series debut. Why? Not because the X6 upstaged it, but because there was nothing to report.

Oh well. BMW owes us something big in LA in November! :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 03:07 PM   #16
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Well, let's see, I learned the catback exhaust is a single 3", that the brake ducts will require judicious enlarging, And that it is a long time to May 5, 2008 (ED date). Just sold my M3 and it's going to be a long dry spell for fun driving, unless I can pry the Cooper S out of my wife's hands.
      09-13-2007, 03:08 PM   #17
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Great observation Hugo. Completely agree, especially about Mr. D's "leaked" comments over price. That sort of foreplay I dig.
On the other hand I was wishing for a variety of colors and options...

I totally agree with you Jim. I feel like they could've thrown us a bigger bone. The X6 definitely took the BMW show. I still cant get that beast out of my head. They have officially played out the Sedona Red. Like many others said, I hope they redeem themselves through the N. American Show.
      09-13-2007, 03:29 PM   #18
GreenMonster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
The devil is in the details.... hopefully some more details will be reviled at the LA autoshow in November, but we'll probably will have to wait till NAIAS in January for all the details...

It was nice to see the 128i (what I'm interested in buying) at Frankfurt... It does still look good without the m sport trimmings of the 135i...
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 03:50 PM   #19
Khobin~
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster View Post
It was nice to see the 128i (what I'm interested in buying) at Frankfurt... It does still look good without the m sport trimmings of the 135i...
Ummm...what pics were of a 128i?...I seen pics of a 135 and a 123d.

I'm guess the non-M package 128 will look like the 123d so I'm happy. Personnally I like it better then the M styling, but that's just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 04:41 PM   #20
vpalm
Registered
Rep
Drives:

I would think that BMW wants to avoid a committment to price until the last possible moment. The Euro has been climbing (or the US Dollar tanking) lately and that will have a great effect on the US price. So I think it natural that they will save the big news until a US show.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 05:23 PM   #21
krassanova
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpalm View Post
I would think that BMW wants to avoid a committment to price until the last possible moment. The Euro has been climbing (or the US Dollar tanking) lately and that will have a great effect on the US price. So I think it natural that they will save the big news until a US show.
Currency rates are not going to be the primary driver of price for these cars. Remember that BMW has a US based currency hedge at the Spartanburg plant, and they also have a price hole in between the MINI and the 3er in the US market.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 08:20 PM   #22
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

So now the party is over what do we do with ourselves?