BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-21-2007, 06:38 PM   #23
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Statistically, BMW has fallen sharply in terms of reliability and customer satisfaction. 3rd party surveys prove this.

I think a large part of it is related to Europe's bumbling inability to get car electronics done right (blame Bosch!), something the Japanese have succeeded at admirably.

BMW took a huge hit in the early 2000's with electronics. Case in point - the 7er was an electronic disaster. They had to buy those back left and right. The 330i ZHP was another example - spectacular car, but serious ECU glitches.

I have a hunch (hope) that BMW has gotten the message and put a lot of energy into getting the quality issues fixed.

A couple of things to consider are that BMW does tend to push the edge technologically which can mean more problems. Also, I suspect BMW owners have higher expectations of the their cars (justified in my book) and expect everything to be just right because they are paying a premium. When it isn't, they gripe, and rightfully so.

All this being said, they seem to be good about getting things fixed when they go wrong. And when they can't fix it, according to my lemon law attorney, they are good about fessing up. They did in my case.

Assuming the 135i is as good at it looks it will be, I'm giving them one more chance, but I don't trust them fully yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 06:40 PM   #24
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
That is one of the worst oxymorons I've ever heard.
What I think he meant is that Japanese cars are more reliable on a day-to-day basis, but a BMW will last longer in the long run...
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 09:55 PM   #25
imported_Green Tea
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Have a '97 328IS getting close to 150k. There are things I needed to replace along the way.
I also know of several friends who have had 7's go bad.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2007, 03:44 AM   #26
krassanova
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Typically if you take your car in for service where you you first bought your car they will give you a BMW loaner...provided you request one in advance. One dealership I frequent very often, Bob Smith in Calabasas, has their own loaner fleet and Enterprise Rent-a-Car on site, for their non-BMW loaners.

As an addendum for those that have never owned a BMW, the service process is actually very cool. You will get a Service Adviser (SA) that will work with you to get you processed in and out of the dealership. This person will be your point of contact while your car is being worked on. They are usually very helpful, and since BMW is big on conducting surveys after each service appointment, the SA aims to please. Each time you go back to the dealership, you will almost always work with the same SA.

Once the 1er goes on sale, and there are regional threads on this board, you'll be able to find out who the best SA's are to help fix any common issues that may come up with the 1er. I had a problem with the transmission in my MINI, and I didn't realize how big of a deal it could be until I frequented some MINI sites, and read about some people that had the same issue as me. I learned how to articulate what was going on with my car better than mimicking the sound my car was making at various times. The info I got on the SA, and the problem itself helped me get a brand new transmission under warranty.

Anyway, my point is that there might be something that goes wrong, but the odds are good that someone pickier and more knowledgeable than you will write about it, and show you how to get it fixed. All you have to do is poke around sites like this one like you are doing now to get things fixed!
Appreciate 0