BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

New paint, winter protection?

My front bumper is freshly painted as of 2 weeks ago. I've brought the car out once since then on a clear day, but pretty soon I'm gonna need to take the car out on a regular basis, into the salt and snow.

I know you're not supposed to wax a freshly painted surface for a few weeks to a few months depending on who you ask (my bodyshop said a couple weeks but I'm playing it safe) and I know everyone has their own opinion, but what are some of your guys thoughts?

Also, I'm a pretty big fan of quick detailer. I'm anal about my car but don't always have time for a complete wash. I've primarily used it to get bugs off my car in the summer and it works great, but is a quick detailer a good way to wipe off the salt and gunk in the winter?

Is quick detailer like meguiars "new paint safe"? I've heard yes but then I've also heard that it isn't "body shop safe" and only M34 Final Inspection is "body shop safe".. What's the difference??

Finally, to retain the shine of the paint I think the general concensus is that a glaze is safe for new paint, like meguiars #7 or 3M glaze. Just correct me if that's wrong

Sorry for the barrage of questions but it's pretty hard finding info on some of this stuff that isn't just some guy's opinion on a different forum. I figure if I'll go by someone's advice online I might as well ask on here since nobody loves their cars more than we do

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 07:16 AM   #2
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

"New paint safe"= means there is nothing in the product that will interfere with the outgas (solvent evaporation) process (i.e. Optimum polymer and some Megs products - http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=39257)

"Body shop safe" = a product that doesn’t contain silicones that would interfere with the paint bonding and causing something that is descriptively named ‘fish eye’

Last edited by TOGWT; 01-03-2011 at 07:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
"New paint safe"= means there is nothing in the product that will interfere with the outgas (solvent evaporation) process (i.e. Optimum polymer and some Megs products - http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=39257)

"Body shop safe" = a product that doesn’t contain silicones that would interfere with the paint bonding and causing something that is descriptively named ‘fish eye’
I see. Thank you!! From my understading fish eye usually occurs when there's a contaminant in the paint itself or on the car as it's being painted, so since my bumper has been painted I need not be concerned with "body shop safe" right?

Still, to be safe (if there's no downside to it) I'll order meguiars #34 which is definitely new paint safe to wipe the salt and sludge off my car, and find a new paint safe glaze to keep it shiny and in a month or two it should be safe to wax, hopefully

Unless, of course you or anyone else has more advice as to a good cleaning/protecting regimen when there isn't always time for a wash..

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

You won't be able to protect the paint until you've allowed it to cure completely. It sucks, but you'll just have to wait.
Drive carefully and avoid getting anywhere close to the car in front of you while driving for the next month or so.
Appreciate 0