BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-16-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia 1M

another stone chip question

The question is basically can you use either the "Dr. Color Chip blending solution" or "Langka Blob eliminator" with the factory paint stick kit. Have new VO with chip before I could get protection on ...

Name:  VO chip.jpg
Views: 2465
Size:  360.5 KB

Name:  v0-2.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  48.1 KB

Lastly,do I need to wet sand the edges of the chip before repair? Thanks in advance for any advice or before and after pics of your repair.

OK ...... So I finally had a decent weather day earlier in the week to try and fix the chip .... dealer gave me the touch up paint and I ordered the Langka system which works with the factory paint .....

Blob
Name:  v0-blob.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  42.6 KB

Close up
Name:  v0-rep1.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  38.0 KB

4-5 ft away shot
Name:  v0-rep2.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  32.3 KB

All in all pretty pleased with the result .... really have to look very hard to find it .... worked even better on a few chips on the rear wheel quarters .... can't wait to get my paint protection instal.

Last edited by 1mGator; 10-29-2011 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: updated video
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

luckily, it is on the bevel so the light reflects differently on it. It is quite small, and you might get by with just a little touch up paint on a toothpick, just enough to fill in the divot. I would not sand anything. Use as litle paint as you can, too much will create a run.

Most people will not notice it, except you - since you know where it is - your eye will always spot it.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

I had pretty good luck with Dr.Colorchip on my jet black for rock chips. The rock chips filled in nicely and you can only see them from 2 feet away or less (you really have to know where to look). I also used it on my wife's metallic silver acura MDX and it didn't work quite as well. It filled them in , but you can still see them from maybe 5 feet away. It has made it level and protected the metal but it still looks like a repaired defect. On my Jet Black it is better repair. I don't know how it will work on your color??? I had previously tried OEM touch up paint with a toothpick and could not get it as good as the dr.colorchip.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 09:09 PM   #4
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Dr Colorchip will not work with OEM touchup paint- Langka (sp?) will.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 05:31 AM   #5
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
luckily, it is on the bevel so the light reflects differently on it. It is quite small, and you might get by with just a little touch up paint on a toothpick, just enough to fill in the divot. I would not sand anything. Use as litle paint as you can, too much will create a run.

Most people will not notice it, except you - since you know where it is - your eye will always spot it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbmw View Post
I had pretty good luck with Dr.Colorchip on my jet black for rock chips. The rock chips filled in nicely and you can only see them from 2 feet away or less (you really have to know where to look). I also used it on my wife's metallic silver acura MDX and it didn't work quite as well. It filled them in , but you can still see them from maybe 5 feet away. It has made it level and protected the metal but it still looks like a repaired defect. On my Jet Black it is better repair. I don't know how it will work on your color??? I had previously tried OEM touch up paint with a toothpick and could not get it as good as the dr.colorchip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
Dr Colorchip will not work with OEM touchup paint- Langka (sp?) will.

Thank you all for your responses. I just heard back from Dr. Colorchip and they say that their blending solution does not work with factory paint but that they do have the kit for the new color. Going to go that route as I have had good success with their product.
Appreciate 0