BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-12-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
BMF
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Employee Discount/Other quick 135/128 questions.

Hi, I've been wondering if it is possible yet to get the employee discount (for family members) on the 135/128? If not does anyone have any idea how long it will take?

Secondly, is the iDrive/navigation system as annoying as everyone thinks?

Third, are the Red Seats in a black BMW as 'bright' colored as they look in dealer photos? the specific photo i am talking about is at:

http://www.kellybmw.com/new_vehicle_...ccadea62ff2530

I'm hoping that the seats would look more like the Red color in the red upholstered Mini, maybe its their digital camera that almost makes it look pinkish?

Fourth, living in Ohio would it be totally foolish to get a 135i if it is my only vehicle? I may suck at driving but i have a little bit of trouble driving my Civic Si in the snow (of course its lowered and has huge wheels) but still I dont want to get into a 300HP rear-wheel carnival of death if i can avoid it (although I love the 135i).

The final question is, the dealer has been telling me that they dont deal on the price because how new the 135i is, should i accept that or be all huffy about it?

I'd really like a 135i with Sports,Premium,Navigation,Heated Seats,Premium stereo, automatic, comfort access but it looks like its going to run abour $46k or so with all of that, should i try talking down to 44?

The only other thing i have to worry about is still being in love with my Civic Si ;-)

thanks!

BMF
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 02:49 PM   #2
3toM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i EB Msport

Welcome to 1addicts!!

I'll try to answer a few questions if I can.

I don't know about employee discounts. Maybe some of the CA's on the site will know.

For Idrive, it does seem to have some nice things. Some like it, some don't. It almost universally gets bad reviews in the press, but I don't think it is that bad.

The red seats - my opinion is that they aren't as red as the picture you are referring to.

In terms of driving in Columbus, I lived there for a few years. The car is RWD, so of course is more difficult in snow. But I do believe we have a few members here who drive it in the snow. Not sure if I would have it as my only auto though.

In terms of price - early on everyone was paying MSRP. Now I think most places you can work some discounts in. Maybe 500-1000 off. Of course, you could always try the robert payne method (check the search function).

Welcome again.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 03:47 PM   #3
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

iDirve is great and very easy to use. The original version of iDrive (the 8 way version) which still remains in the 7 series today got bad reviews when it came out. iDrive is a perfect example of the power of suggestion. People read a bad review or hear something bad about it and suddenly they don't like it either.

Maybe some really don't like it but a lot of the negative press it gets is unwarranted IMHO.

As far as 128i vs. 135i, that is a no brainer to me. The twin turbo engine just kicks ass. I drove 128i. It was nice but then getting back into the 335i was like night and day.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 04:04 PM   #4
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Given the current market condition, especially in Ohio, I don't see how they can sell all BMW at MSRP; deals are definitely out there.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #5
subscience
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

My CA and BMW Finance rep both told me that employees are not yet eligible for employee pricing on 1s and Ms due to the sheer supply and demand of these vehicles. My CA showed me all available 135s in the US and the list is surprisingly short- Even shorter if you're looking for a non-White or Black 135, and shorter still if you're looking for an MT. If you're willing to wait a few months, you could definitely custom build your car and maybe even take European Delivery to save a few more bucks (and take a nice trip!).

08 jet black 135i | sport, 6-mt
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 04:23 PM   #6
KCRich
Rep
Drives:

I can't speak directly to an 'employee discount', as I'm no employee, but there are certainly deals to be made, although I suppose it depends on how much your family member likes you, and what their position at BMW is. There's roughly a 7% markup to MSRP, any discounts are obviously coming out of their pocket if they're in a sales position, and someone else's if they're not.

My brother-in-law is sales manager at a southeastern dealership and was willing to get mine at cost. Like I said, that came out of his pocket, though they were coming off a near record month, so I suppose he was more willing. My point of view is having a family member in a sales position, rather than a sheer employee discount.

Hope this helps...and welcome, from one newcomer to another.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
RobLS
Major
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscience View Post
My CA and BMW Finance rep both told me that employees are not yet eligible for employee pricing on 1s and Ms due to the sheer supply and demand of these vehicles. My CA showed me all available 135s in the US and the list is surprisingly short- Even shorter if you're looking for a non-White or Black 135, and shorter still if you're looking for an MT. If you're willing to wait a few months, you could definitely custom build your car and maybe even take European Delivery to save a few more bucks (and take a nice trip!).
Yeah, I asked how hot they were, and my CA told me they can't even hold on to the 135i manuals for more than a week. Told me they are the hottest cars right now for them.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 04:40 PM   #8
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pearson 424 Ketch

BMF:

You will read about a lot of BMW owners, if they live in seasonal climates, shifting to a second set of wheels and tires compatible with ice & snow. There are some threads here that discuss those wheel/tire choices and, of course, that does initially add some cost to the car...tho' not much over the full period of ownership.

Aside from the methodical, cast-a-wide-net 'Payne Method' (a very long, readable thread, also known as the Rizzo Method), the Payne thread will reveal many other stories where more local shopping efforts still produced good savings. This is a good time to get a good price on a pricey car, it seems.

Regarding iDrive, my advice is to note the list of functions controlled from within the iDrive system and ask yourself if you would mind dialing and clicking when you want to control those functions. Gee-whiz Germanic it may be but it surely isn't needed. Some prefer conventional separate controls; perhaps you are one of those.

The other answers (re: employee discounts) are no doubt accurate because BMW NA has yet to include the new One Series in its CCA Rebate Program. However, don't let that keep you from joining the BMW CCA and getting the sterling silver-quality monthly Roundel magazine.

If you are a somewhat atypical BMW enthusiast, then the carrier-takeoff power of the 135i may be just what you are looking for. But if you are seeking that overall integrated, premium-level driving experience that BMW is known for, the widely held view, here and in the press, is that the 128i will feel very sporty and provide more than enough driving pleasure.

Jack
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 04:45 PM   #9
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

"Secondly, is the iDrive/navigation system as annoying as everyone thinks?"

Not at all - but if you just want the navigation, an add-on unit will be much cheaper.

"Third, are the Red Seats in a black BMW as 'bright' colored as they look in dealer photos? the specific photo i am talking about is at:

http://www.kellybmw.com/new_vehicle_...ccadea62ff2530

I'm hoping that the seats would look more like the Red color in the red upholstered Mini, maybe its their digital camera that almost makes it look pinkish?"

Mine seem a tad more orange and a bit less pink.

"Fourth, living in Ohio would it be totally foolish to get a 135i if it is my only vehicle?"

Check out the wheels & tires forum for winter tire/wheel threads. You definitely do not want to drive on summer performance tires in ice, snow or below 32o. All-seasons may work if you never see more than 2" (I'm talking about snow, here), and dedicated winter tires should get you through about 5". Anything more than that and you'll have clearance problems anyway. The nice thing about dedicated winter tires & wheels is that you can go to the skinniest 17" tire which will fit and your OEM wheels will be safely stored away from salted roads.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 05:08 PM   #10
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep
Drives: 2005 330i ZHP cic, 2021 X5 40i

Garage List
Hi,
  • There is zero employee discount on the 1 series, not for me, nor anyone else
  • Personally I like the i-drive, if you understand what it's really used for.
  • The red is bright
  • You'll want dedicated snow tires
  • Yes you can get the 1 series at a discount :wink:
Dave
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 07:38 PM   #11
ky_soldier
General of The Universe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [9.00]
if dbtheo is close to you (seems to be in your state) I would definitely buy from a forum member and supporter simply for the relationship. I buy several cars a year and value those folks who provide service, as not all do. I also value honest CAs who give you their best price up front, don't haggle, and don't make up FUD about how "hard they are to come by" or how you need to but it NOW because (insert BS tag line here)...

If I didn't have a good CA, I'd drive a few hours away to get mine. (and I wasn't paid to say this )
1946 Willys CJ-2A
2009 Ferrari 612 Scaglietti OTO
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 08:10 PM   #12
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe

look around -- i would never pay MSRP....remember this is a 2008 model year and the 2009s aren't far....
if this dealer only will do MSRP LEAVE.....get at least $500 off minimium....
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 08:16 PM   #13
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

I agree with x97Melbourne.

Also, my seats aren't as bright... like someone else said, they are kind of like that, but with less pink. One thing to keep in mind, and it surprises some people, the back is pretty much red; there is some black contrast in the front, but the back is red.
I loved red since the autoshow when I first saw it and I will never look back. If you are hesitant maybe you should think thrice. It's one of those things.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 08:16 PM   #14
Qube
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 540 :: 09 STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMF View Post
The final question is, the dealer has been telling me that they dont deal on the price because how new the 135i is, should i accept that or be all huffy about it?
Garbage. I got 5% off, tint, mats, plus a whole bunch of other stuff with it on the 128 vert. On the 135 coupe, I didn't push as hard but still a decent chunk of change off MSRP.

EDIT: Oh, and paid less than $700 for the excess damage coverage.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 09:22 PM   #15
JohnnyTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.5

Didn't read the rest.....but,

I HAVE THE RED SEATS, They Are NOT BRIGHT at all. More like a light maroon. I'm very happy with them.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 10:27 PM   #16
esses
No_Country
Rep
Drives: like I stole it.

iDrive invariably gets bad reviews by people that do not own it. Why? Because it is a pain in the ass to get used to. Once you do, you will want it in all your BMWs.

The Coral Red leather is just that - Coral. It is not as bright as those photos, and has much more orange than those photos suggest. It looks great.

You will forget your Civic Si. Quickly. :biggrin:

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2008, 10:29 PM   #17
S54dan
I no longer work for United BMW!
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E46 330i ZHP, E36 325i

Garage List
1994 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2005 M3  [9.66]
2005 325i  [8.00]
2003 330i ZHP  [9.00]
There is currently no employee discount on the 1... not yet.

However, I can get a Z4 coupe for $175/mo or a MZ4 Coupe for $325/mo... but I want to wait for a 1 :biggrin: Call me crazy!!
      06-13-2008, 08:06 AM   #18
BMF
Registered
Rep
Drives:

I realize I am setting myself up to get flamed here but has anyone ever driven a 335i/135i and then immediately driven the 2008 accord? v6 ex-l /w navi? (I realize the accord doesnt carry the prestiege of the BMW). I was amazed at how much more technology went into the accord than the BMW especially because its $13000 less. The radio display and everything in the BMW makes me feel like i'm basically paying for a really nice engine and there is just a 'blah' car wrapped around the sweet engine (like having a 72" plasma sitting on an old dresser instead of putting it on the wall) etc.

The presentation of the interior in the BMW (at least the 1 and 3s i drove is no where near as good as (in my opinion) the accord.

I may still pick up a 335 or 135 but I just can't understand why they wouldn't have designed the user interface better.

Things im talking about specifically are the radio controls in the non-navi accord (the huge screen..) and just the over all feel of it, you feel like you're in a car from 2008, etc.

Am I missing some charm that comes in the interior of the BMW?

BMF
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 08:26 AM   #19
Uptown Bully
I hate coleslaw!
Rep
Drives:

I got the employee discount.

I have family members high up in the local BMW chain. Maybe that's why they gave it to me, but either way, I got one.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 09:01 AM   #20
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMF View Post
I realize I am setting myself up to get flamed here but has anyone ever driven a 335i/135i and then immediately driven the 2008 accord? v6 ex-l /w navi? (I realize the accord doesnt carry the prestiege of the BMW). I was amazed at how much more technology went into the accord than the BMW especially because its $13000 less. The radio display and everything in the BMW makes me feel like i'm basically paying for a really nice engine and there is just a 'blah' car wrapped around the sweet engine (like having a 72" plasma sitting on an old dresser instead of putting it on the wall) etc.

The presentation of the interior in the BMW (at least the 1 and 3s i drove is no where near as good as (in my opinion) the accord.

I may still pick up a 335 or 135 but I just can't understand why they wouldn't have designed the user interface better.

Things im talking about specifically are the radio controls in the non-navi accord (the huge screen..) and just the over all feel of it, you feel like you're in a car from 2008, etc.

Am I missing some charm that comes in the interior of the BMW?

BMF

I get these types of sentiments often my clients walking through our doors. "lexus has this... infiniti has this.... acura has this..." "bmw makes you pay for everything.." etc...

The way I look at it is yes, thats true. But my definition of technology is different. In my eyes (& my heart:wub bmw puts the money where it counts. In the drivetrain, in the suspension, the internal electronics, etc. A question I always ask is "do you want gizmos you can play with at a stop sign? Or do you want a car you can play with when you are moving." Our cars aren't for everyone & there are other cars that do some things better than ours. But no one does we what we do better. All depends on what is most important to you.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 09:05 AM   #21
dbtheo
1addicts CA
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Bully View Post
I got the employee discount.

I have family members high up in the local BMW chain. Maybe that's why they gave it to me, but either way, I got one.
what the op is referring to is, there is an actual employee lease program for us. At this point in time, there is no such program in place for the 1 series. So no, you didn't get an "employee" discount, you got a break from a family member
(no shame there:biggrin
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 09:23 AM   #22
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtheo View Post
I get these types of sentiments often my clients walking through our doors. "lexus has this... infiniti has this.... acura has this..." "bmw makes you pay for everything.." etc...

The way I look at it is yes, thats true. But my definition of technology is different. In my eyes (& my heart:wub bmw puts the money where it counts. In the drivetrain, in the suspension, the internal electronics, etc. A question I always ask is "do you want gizmos you can play with at a stop sign? Or do you want a car you can play with when you are moving." Our cars aren't for everyone & there are other cars that do some things better than ours. But no one does we what we do better. All depends on what is most important to you.
Well, said! BMW are loaded with technology. You just have to look under the hood. Just do some research on the N54 and/or Efficient Dynamics. But, as far as gadgets, I never have to turn the lights or windshield wipers on, the car does it for me. My Honda Pilot which costed as much doesn't do that.