BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-03-2016, 07:27 PM   #1
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible (AW/CR)

Aging 128i (90K miles), what big ticket maintenance things can I start to expect?

My Orca (2008 128i) is nearing in on 90K miles and the last few service visits have been quite pricey. Some of it is a bunch of small things that have been adding up: bulbs, discolored mirrors, brake sensors. Some of it is much larger - a seat heater, shocks, pricey gaskets, and whatever is the current thing that's keeping me from accelerating properly on the freeway.

I just went through my service costs for last year and it's swung from okay to "you should really spend this on a new car" territory. So I want to know if there's a few other big things out that there might be coming up soon (6-12 months) or if maybe I'm good for a while longer.

Is there a guide out there for "these are the things that start going wrong and costing an arm and a leg"?

thanks,
amy!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 07:47 PM   #2
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

If you can't work on the car yourself or have friends who can help you for cheap, get rid of the car. Dealer rates border on outright usury and shops honestly aren't much better unless you get very lucky and find a good one--and even in that best of cases, it will still be very expensive compared to doing the work yourself.

I recommend reading about car maintenance, reading DIYs here and watching youtube car DIYs. Car maintenance is not difficult, trust me. Millions of people around the world with IQs under 100 have done complex and time consuming car repairs themselves by just being patient and following someone else's instructions.

Now, if you ARE WILLING TO TRY working on the car yourself, read this thread to see how you can diagnose any issue the car has yourself for the cost of a laptop you probably already own and an inexpensive ($20) cable:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=918608

Then, use this site to find the items you'll figure out need replacing and google the part# to find best prices online:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc...catalogue.html
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 09:32 PM   #3
Hops128i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i, manual, sport pkg

This in an old thread, but discusses 100k maintenance:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...3#post14388433
      04-04-2016, 10:53 AM   #4
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

I think you're living in a vacuum with you car, ie not having a knowledgeable father, husband, brother, boyfriend, friend, "club member" to guide you thru getting best value for maintenance. Seems like you go to the dealer every time something needs repair. I would suggest joining BMWCCA and getting to know other club members who would be very happy to help you out, especially where to take your car for best and most economical repair. I believe you live very close to Boston-hundreds of CCA members in your area. Many excellent indy BMW shops (Turner Motorsport just North of you) and Bav Auto for parts in Portsmouth NH. Go to bavauto.com and request their catalogs. Look at some of the pics of their Show and Shine (I go every year-its 7 hours away for me). Good Luck and please stay in the BMW fold.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 11:17 AM   #5
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

About doing your own maintenance. Some don't have the use of a garage so taking it to someone is the only choice. There are also "some" maintenance items that require a "special" BMW tool that must be used. And yes.. you can buy these tools but how often will you be using it. and they aint cheap.

My car now goes to an independent shop that works on European cars. the majority are BMW's. they are about $25 an hour cheaper than the dealer.
But no matter how you cut it these cars are not cheap to maintain.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 11:43 AM   #6
Hops128i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i, manual, sport pkg

The ease of DIY is also dependent on model and options. From what i've seen in the Bentley 3 series manual i use for my 128i, a fully loaded auto 335xi is going to be more difficult to DIY than a lightly optioned n52 manual car.

Also DIY is NOT a all or nothing thing, i think if you can do the following (which really don't require much diagnosis or coding), a 128i will not cost too much to maintain:
-oil changes
-cabin air filter
-engine air filter
-plugs
-belt/tensioner
-brake pads/rotors
-brake flush
-struts/shocks
-water pump / coolant change

I missed the OFHG and VCG

Last edited by Hops128i; 04-05-2016 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0