BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-16-2008, 02:19 PM   #1
shiccobm
Neo
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I

big problem or a small one

i was wondering , i put on 215 55R17 on my rims and i found out that , if i get the wheel all the way to one side , the tire touchs the guard slighty i wanna know whats the disadvantages for that and if i should get them removed before they destroy anything.thanks
      11-16-2008, 03:20 PM   #2
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
wow... that is painful to read...

If you want ppl to take the time to read your post and give you advice please use spell check (built into most browsers) and paragraphs.

And yes go back and get a tire that fits
      11-16-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Check with Gill at Tirerack.com - there are several posts with his offers for winter tire packages.
Shipping will be a little more, but the overall cost should be lower.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 06:45 PM   #4
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

shiccobm,
You said "friend" gave you advice...
You didn't read here first?
I think it’s a golden rule!
1addicts is the living manual for this car!!!
Also, if you are not sure:
Ask first, then do!

This is what I undersand;
215 55R17 size
Tire model? Brand?
Rim?

Trying to save some money is important, I too am a advocate to save $$$$ But...

NEVER EVER bring a 1 to CanTire!
That's like.... shit I can't find a good analogy...this is just a bad idea!!!!

DO NOT GO TO CANADIAN TIRE!!!! (I have to get this off my chest) for your 1 ever!!!!

I think they hire some real ID10TS there.
This is the problem...
The manager could be ok...
The person you talk to when you "order" is ok...
The "real" mechanics can be ok...
but... (this is where the real problem is) they do not hire just mechanics... they hire people with almost zero skills and they work for the mechanics and they do not always watch what is going on or care... so in the end... you end up with the guy down the street working on your car aieeee!...

If I had gone to CT not knowing how bad things could be (I know now), and they put the wrong tire size on my car, I would go back and tell them get those damn things off my car and give me every red cent back.... Wait, NO, I would even go as far as going somewhere else (places where other higher end cars are serviced) and have them take them off and put the correct winters on.
I have fist hand experience with CT, and yes they are not all the same, but how many times do you need to be burned to realize it’s hot? 2x 3x Take it from me, I brought in a Saturn to have it certified to sell, and in the end I had to pay $600 extra because they destroyed the car. Sure I could have tried to fight them, but in the end, it was pointless. I lost. (over a year ago I cert the car, and at that time they stripped the special Saturn shit bolts that thread into the drum or whatever they call it, I only found out when I sold the car this year and had it re cert somewhere else. They showed me how it was damaged. I know CT did it, as I saw the kid using the pneumatic gun, it just didn’t register till now) They also messed up a clip that I made the replace. So...

"DANGER DANGER DANGER, Will Robinson, CT Eats Cars!"
from Lost in space!
I could not resist!!!

Also...
I think if you want tire info from tire people, you will have to post in the tire section for tire people to read it. I think the tire sales people (Gill) are not supposed to post outside that area when it comes to tire resale.

I hope this helps you and anyone else... this is a big CT warning!

EspressoBoy
      11-16-2008, 06:48 PM   #5
Kiety
The ONE
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Cabriolet

Keep in mind the currency conversion from USD <-> CAD is not in our favor at the moment, it was 1.24 last I checked. I got my set from gill when it was 1.05, great deal.

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2008, 01:19 AM   #6
Qube
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 540 :: 09 STi

Man. Where'd you get them? Someone tried to sell me winter set from an E92. Needless to say, I bought them off TireRack instead heh.
      11-17-2008, 01:18 PM   #7
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Are you talking about the rim guard located behind the brake disc? If you're talking about what I think yo're talking about, my understanding is that they can be removed without causing any damage to the wheel/rim/brakes. they're just there to keep things clean. But if you move them a little manually you might also be able to adjust them so that they don't touch anymore. Appearantly its a relatively common issue with bimmers.