BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-23-2019, 11:52 AM   #45
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

I have an 08 128. It has 60310 miles. It sits in winter storage for 4-5 months each winter so its more like a 2011 useage wise. I've owned it for 8½ years. Its been on the track 3 times.

I have never had to "repair" anything on this car. Its only been brakes, filters, oil, etc. Now saying that, I do get a SES light every year for the past 3 years [P0440] but its only on for 2-3 days then goes away for good.

I belong to local BMW club and BMWCCA. If something happens, I have many very knowledgeable people who provide me with the best accurate advice. I can write to Mike Miller of BMWCCA and get the best answer within 24 hours. In our city here, we know of 5 or 6 BMW indy garages who know these cars very well and donot have to "guess" at what might be wrong.

So, repair wise, I've spent zero dollars in 8½ years on repairs. These cars will go a long time with just simple maintenance by either yourself or a BMW indy.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2019, 08:38 PM   #46
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
I have an 08 128. It has 60310 miles. It sits in winter storage for 4-5 months each winter so its more like a 2011 useage wise. I've owned it for 8½ years. Its been on the track 3 times.

I have never had to "repair" anything on this car. Its only been brakes, filters, oil, etc. Now saying that, I do get a SES light every year for the past 3 years [P0440] but its only on for 2-3 days then goes away for good.

I belong to local BMW club and BMWCCA. If something happens, I have many very knowledgeable people who provide me with the best accurate advice. I can write to Mike Miller of BMWCCA and get the best answer within 24 hours. In our city here, we know of 5 or 6 BMW indy garages who know these cars very well and donot have to "guess" at what might be wrong.

So, repair wise, I've spent zero dollars in 8½ years on repairs. These cars will go a long time with just simple maintenance by either yourself or a BMW indy.
same boat here! my car has been great to me for 85k miles until I was advised to replaced the VCG and OFHG this past year. Other than that, nothing else besides normal items like brake rotors/pads and oil changes. I've also done 4 track days. It's a reliable little car. I think a big part of it is just how many applications this engine was used in. 1 series, 3 series, 5 series, x3, etc.

Last edited by chris82; 01-24-2019 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 1
b1aze565.50
      01-23-2019, 10:11 PM   #47
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
Posts about unreliability are rare here when it comes to the 128i. With standard maintenance you shouldn't run into any issues

Edit: Except whats expected: things such as the valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, probably other stuff I'm forgetting, part just wear out! The intervals are high though. My original VCG and OFHG lasted til i got them replaced at 85k, and even then they were "advisable" to replace, I could have gone longer.
88K+, no leaks, just a battery change. I'm OK with that.
      01-31-2020, 02:50 AM   #48
anthonynava
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

BMW 128i 2008

The BMW 128i is reliable. I own my 2008 128i 6 speed coupe for 12 years. I have never had any major problems. The inline 6 is great. Well built BMW!
Appreciate 2
      01-31-2020, 06:57 AM   #49
minirips2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6M CR Slicktop

I just hit 100K miles this week. OFHG at 80K, which was super easy to do. Plugs, filters, serp belt, and oil changes every 8K. My daily is 95% highway, so I'm comfortable going that far on the oil. Still the original coolant pump, but I have one in a box in the garage. All work done by me, so not expensive. Honestly, the 128i is the best kept secret in German autos. JMHO.
Every time I get a new loaner when I have the car in for a recall, I appreciate my car more. It has enough connectivity for phone calls, which is all I want, great exhaust note with the PE, great clutch and decent shifter. I wouldn't even consider any F platform BMW. Well, maybe an M2 Competition if I hit the big time.....
Appreciate 5
b1aze565.50
gjm1202183.00
      01-31-2020, 01:25 PM   #50
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2 View Post
I just hit 100K miles this week. OFHG at 80K, which was super easy to do. Plugs, filters, serp belt, and oil changes every 8K. My daily is 95% highway, so I'm comfortable going that far on the oil. Still the original coolant pump, but I have one in a box in the garage. All work done by me, so not expensive. Honestly, the 128i is the best kept secret in German autos. JMHO.
Every time I get a new loaner when I have the car in for a recall, I appreciate my car more. It has enough connectivity for phone calls, which is all I want, great exhaust note with the PE, great clutch and decent shifter. I wouldn't even consider any F platform BMW. Well, maybe an M2 Competition if I hit the big time.....
I'm extremely happy with my car. It's not in the garage every weekend for some random little issue like my father's former E39 540i/6 was (he retired it at 275k miles). It's got plenty of performance for every day driving, and has a delightful chassis that's really engaging and alive when set-up with good parts. I'm at 201k miles now and it runs and drives perfectly. NO LEAKS! I drive around with a water pump and thermostat in my trunk, a quart of oil, and a gallon of coolant, but, I don't expect to need it.

It's a perfect daily driver for the driving enthusiast.
      01-31-2020, 06:20 PM   #51
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
I'm extremely happy with my car. It's not in the garage every weekend for some random little issue like my father's former E39 540i/6 was (he retired it at 275k miles). It's got plenty of performance for every day driving, and has a delightful chassis that's really engaging and alive when set-up with good parts. I'm at 201k miles now and it runs and drives perfectly. NO LEAKS! I drive around with a water pump and thermostat in my trunk, a quart of oil, and a gallon of coolant, but, I don't expect to need it.

Glad you broke the 200k barrier! I wonder if BMW hands out quarter million mile badges like MB does.
Smart to keep all that material (hopefully the tools too!) in the trunk in emergency cases at that mileage. Except I think the 128i is just too darn reliable even at that mileage for something to happen.

Even though I am at 56k, I have to say the BMW has been reliable and problem free. Oil changes every 7-8k, tranny/diff fluids at 30k and will do so again at 60k. Coolant and plugs at 50k.

Only maintenance this year will be power steering, tranny and diff fluids along with replacement rotors/pads and flush the brake fluid. Looking to get a pair of Esco jackstands for the power steering fluid job. May make for a nice bday gift from my woman!
      01-31-2020, 08:48 PM   #52
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post

Glad you broke the 200k barrier! I wonder if BMW hands out quarter million mile badges like MB does.
Smart to keep all that material (hopefully the tools too!) in the trunk in emergency cases at that mileage. Except I think the 128i is just too darn reliable even at that mileage for something to happen.

Even though I am at 56k, I have to say the BMW has been reliable and problem free. Oil changes every 7-8k, tranny/diff fluids at 30k and will do so again at 60k. Coolant and plugs at 50k.

Only maintenance this year will be power steering, tranny and diff fluids along with replacement rotors/pads and flush the brake fluid. Looking to get a pair of Esco jackstands for the power steering fluid job. May make for a nice bday gift from my woman!
My water pump went at 120k miles and some think that is good. At 200k if its the original pump he's on borrowed time. For a while I thought of doing exactly what he did (carry it with me in the trunk) because I did a lot of road trips and didn't want to get stranded waiting for parts. In the end the pump gave me a warning ECU code wise and I replaced it before it outright failed and left me stranded. Can't complain about that!!
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2020, 11:01 AM   #53
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

My e88 n52 has about 115K miles on it. I ordered it in early 2009. The only costly repair it has required was a $800 alternator. It had to be towed in for that. I have AAA coverage and plan to keep it due to the age of the car and the lack of a spare. So the tow was free. I still have the original battery but it will probably have to be replaced this year. I've replaced brake pads once. No cooling system issues. No leaking oil issues. If it was my only car I would think about doing things before they fail but probably still would not do it. My experience is that predicting failure of things like the oil filter housing gasket or the cooling system is not very good. Because other cars have the issue does not mean yours will. Mine has an issue in the evaporative system (is throwing the gas cap code) which I think is the pump. I don't love looking at the light on the dash but I do not believe cars really need this system so I am not in a hurry to do anything about it.

While my BMW has been quite reliable so far, I believe it will be less so in the future. But the big thing to remember is BMW parts tend to cost more and labor to fix BMWs tends to cost more. My $800 alternator could have cost me $200 and I've spent less than $100 for the repair on other cars. At the time, it was my only car so I had it towed in, got a rental, and paid the bill. I later found alternators for $600 like they charged me but also for around $200. It is pretty accessable but from below.

I would not worry too much about the frequency of breakdown if you get a properly maintained and not trashed car. But the expense of each breakdown will be more than average.
      02-03-2020, 11:47 AM   #54
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

I now have 2 spare alternators.
1st came out of an E90 in a wrecking yard. It is covered in oil. Most likely OFHG leaked so much oil onto serpentine belt that it broke while engine running and I'm guessing it destroyed the engine, hence the junk yard. It turns freely but I don't really know if it works.
2nd was purchased just recently in a package (E90 again) that included a 3 stage intake. Its much cleaner but I don't know exactly yet if it works.
The 2 alternators cost me about US$50 for both
Appreciate 0