BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #1
TripleThreat
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LeMans Blue

Any recommendations of aftermarket GPS?

I am planning to buy an aftermarket GPS for my 128i. I still have plenty of time until it arrives here, but would like to start a research. Will do my internet search and make trips to BestBuy and CompUSA, but do any members have recommendations? I do not ask for a lot and in terms of the navigation capability, I am guessing most of the products on the market are pretty much on par? Two important things for me are;

1. It fits neatly. As BMW 1 is a kind of simple and minimalist car, it does not have lots of extra space and I do not want the unit and cords to be too invasive.
2. Cell phone integration and its ease of use.

I appreciate any inputs from the members. Thank you very much in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Maybe one of the first ones to consider are the Garmins: some models have a feature which allow you to link to the OBDII to monitor system functions like temperature, rpm, mpg, etc...
      05-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
JYohay
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5

FYI you will find alot of different models from the major 3 manufacturers (Garmin Magellan TomTom). and lot of them will be similar from the same brand.
This is because they make very similar products or even and identical product and give it a different model number.
This is so they can sell it to their big customers in different types of markets (big box retail vs office supply vs autoparts ETC) so that their products arent cross shopped on the internet.
makes purchasing them very difficult.
i used to rep magellan, they are good products.
just do not get the cheapest ones, your best bet is to get a lifetime maps and traffic product. you get the best bang for your buck
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
TripleThreat
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LeMans Blue

Good advices. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

My first, and so far only, stand alone GPS is a Garmin 265W I've had for 3-4 years. Been very happy with; works well, logical and easy to use interface with enough capability but not overloaded with unneeded complexity.

With that background, if you're a Costco member they currently have a $30 discount on the Garmin Nuvi 2595LMT ($170 net after discount). I'm thinking about so have downloaded the manual and perused. Nice unit, 5" screen so a bit better legibility over the 4.3" of my current Garmin (the Garmin screens are nice and clear, but with old eyes larger is better). Bluetooth integration for hands free calling and data link to your phone (for a variety of apps it can use), multi-waypoint trips, can save trips (as well as addresses, of course), can use spoken commands and life time map updates and traffic.

If you do get this or any Garmin, I highly suggest their 'bean bag' mount, which I prefer over the standard suction cup. Sits stably on the dash and when you stop, you simply pick it up and put the whole shebang in the trunk, out of sight, with not even a tell tale suction cup shadow on your windshield.
Appreciate 0