BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-06-2014, 09:59 PM   #1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Help! Post Clutch Install.

Hey everyone,

So I recently had my Spec Stage 2+ clutch with a Steel SMFW installed and have had issues ever since. Originally I took it to be installed at a performance shop called V&S motorservice; I dropped the car off at close to 8:30am and received it at 4pm. Started driving it, very stiff which I expected but no issues. I then drove to work that night and began to notice that the shifter was a bit notchy. This is not my first car with an aftermarket clutch so I don't see how the shifter feel would change after a clutch installation but anyways I assumed it to be normal for break in period. I really began to question the normality of the clutch when it began to get stuck in gear and not fully engage. What would happen is, rolling to a stop in 2nd gear when I would attempt to pull it out in order to put it into first it would get stuck. The issue continued mainly throughout 1st-3rd gears. Getting stuck in first and 2nd became common, even shifting into 2nd it would not allow me to put it in gear.

I notified the Tech at the shop and he came out to me on Christmas Day. Drove the car for 10mins from a cold start and could not replicate the issue. Finally at a red light he gets stuck in 1st. He pumps the clutch and press the gas to get the car out of gear. I ask him to explain to me the install process and he states that he removed the entire slave cylinder so that he would not have to bleed the line. I found this unusual so I asked him to flush out the system. He did so and even turned the Throw out bear to the other position (there are only 2 positions).

He called me in 2hrs and told me to pick up the car and that he drove it for 15miles without any issues. I pick up the car and drive it around the block twice and no issues! ...until the drive home it begins occurring again. Note, there was an improvement after this, however the issue remained. I call the shop again and they said exactly this, "I'm sorry but there's nothing else we can do we have done the install correctly it is a defective unit." Very poor customer service and a lack of professionalism. I then decided to take the car to another shop for a 2nd opinion, one that was more familiar with working on only BMWs. So I took it to Auto Couture. I dropped it off Friday morning in fear of causing any damage driving the way it was. They began working on the car Monday morning to diagnose the issue. By 4pm the car the transmission was back in after going over the previous install and bleeding the line thoroughly which they stated they noticed some air pockets. They too rotated the TOB to it's original position. They test drove the car for almost 20miles and said it was flawless. I drove it all the way home (40min drive) and not one issue.. Until I came into my parking lot and was parked the shifter would not come out of gear.

*Note* If I turn the ignition off while the car is stuck in gear, it will come out with no problem at all.

I have spoken to a few friends regarding this situation and they have said that it does not seem like an issue within the clutch itself. Some have suggested Synchros damage however if that were true the issue would be constantly there and also there was no prior issues.

Okay so after speaking with Spec it seems like we are down to a few options left that could possibly fix the issue..

1) Replace Slave Cylinder (could be possibly damaged or dislodged, damage would not be visible)
2) Master Cylinder (Spec's suggestion to swap out)
3) Possible Hydraulic leak (Could be internal)

At this point I am ruling out that it's a defective clutch since the ssue is intermittent.

I am thinking since the tech removed the entire slave cylinder during the initial install, by having it hanging it could force air into the line and pop the cylinder out.

*Note, there were NO issues AT ALL prior to the clutch installation*

Last edited by ..; 01-06-2014 at 11:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 10:33 PM   #2
Chris.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpine White 135i M-Sport

I would put my money on a defective unit... You've had two shops verify the integrity of the install. Of course Spec is going to say that is is DEF NOT the clutch- because it's easy.

I find it amazing that the BMW crowd puts so much faith in SPEC clutches when they are absolute crap on all other platforms.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I would pull that clutch out and go with ClutchMasters or ACT.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 10:46 PM   #3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
I would put my money on a defective unit... You've had two shops verify the integrity of the install. Of course Spec is going to say that is is DEF NOT the clutch- because it's easy.

I find it amazing that the BMW crowd puts so much faith in SPEC clutches when they are absolute crap on all other platforms.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I would pull that clutch out and go with ClutchMasters or ACT.
Visually you would be able to tell if it were defective and also, if it were I would have the issue constantly. The 2nd shop does not believe it is defective either.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 10:53 PM   #4
Chris.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpine White 135i M-Sport

hmmm...

They may have toasted the master/slave when reinstalling or possibly when trying to bleed the system.

Do you still have firm pedal feel? A leak would probably show its face with a sloppy or loose clutch pedal.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 11:11 PM   #5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
hmmm...

They may have toasted the master/slave when reinstalling or possibly when trying to bleed the system.

Do you still have firm pedal feel? A leak would probably show its face with a sloppy or loose clutch pedal.
That's what I was thinking as well.

Yes, the pedal practically feels OEM excepts it engages very quickly.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 08:56 PM   #6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So I'm at the point where I'm 95% certain It is a hydraulic/slave cylinder issue for these reasons:

1)When stuck in gear, having clutch in the car will roll forward on level ground. Which means it's not letting go of the clutch, not disengaging fully.
2) The ways to get it out of gear when stuck, either pump the clutch or give it gas.
3) Clutch pedal feel is inconsistent.
4) When stuck in gear, if I turn off the ignition the shifter comes right out.
5) Driving around is no problem for me. Just the occasional getting stuck in gear, and notchyness.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 12:34 AM   #7
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i N54

whatever happened ? I'm going to need a new clutch don't know what to get? Autocoture is the shop i go to
MHD Custom Flash (E85) [Jake@MOTIV] / Vargas Stage 2 Turbos / Fuel it LPFP Stage 3+/ Moitiv Port Injection/ MMP Turbo Inlets/ 3.5 Tmap Sensor / ER FMIC /ER Chargepipe HKS-BOV / AA Downpipes / Agency Power Race mid pipes / Berk Technology race exhaust / BMW SSK / BC Forged Whees Toyo R888 tires / KW Club sport coilovers+KW Camber Plates / Spec stg2+Spec SMSFW/ APR Wing GTC200
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 05:31 AM   #8
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates.Tii View Post
whatever happened ? I'm going to need a new clutch don't know what to get? Autocoture is the shop i go to
I still have the clutch. It's been nothing but problems and noises with it. The important thing is that it is holding the power which is all I really care about. It's uncomfortable to drive but I've gotten used to it.

I will be changing it out at the end of the year for this setup:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-135...tch/ES1897635/

OEM clutch kit from the F10 550i/335is.

I went to Autocouture and I had a horrible experience with them. If you want a shop that specializes in the N54 specifically I would recommend MNC Performance. They are the only ones who touch my car and are great guys! They are currently building an N54 powered E30 M3!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 09:48 AM   #9
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep

Wow autocouture horrible experience ? I have installed my kw clubsport coilovers , fmic, downpipes, exhaust over there and a m3 front lip
with no problems and I was thinking of getting a new clutch installed by them soon. Please tell what happend
MHD Custom Flash (E85) [Jake@MOTIV] / Vargas Stage 2 Turbos / Fuel it LPFP Stage 3+/ Moitiv Port Injection/ MMP Turbo Inlets/ 3.5 Tmap Sensor / ER FMIC /ER Chargepipe HKS-BOV / AA Downpipes / Agency Power Race mid pipes / Berk Technology race exhaust / BMW SSK / BC Forged Whees Toyo R888 tires / KW Club sport coilovers+KW Camber Plates / Spec stg2+Spec SMSFW/ APR Wing GTC200
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 10:54 AM   #10
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Sounds like a nasty issue, that's a bummer. I've been running the same combo clutch and flywheel for over 13k miles, no problems. At first it was notchy to shift, but over time it became butter smooth.

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 11:25 AM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurimOne54 View Post

*Note* If I turn the ignition off while the car is stuck in gear, it will come out with no problem at all.

Your clutch disc is seizing on the splined (input)shaft. Classic case.

Either the shop did not fully clean the splinned shaft(teeth) with a wire brush OR... your aftermarket clutch disc is not nickel plated to prevent it from sticking on the input shaft.

You need a new clutch disc. Don't drive the car until you fix it. Your tearing up the trans bc your basically driving without a clutch.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #12
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow autocouture horrible experience ? I have installed my kw clubsport coilovers , fmic, downpipes, exhaust over there and a m3 front lip
with no problems and I was thinking of getting a new clutch installed by them soon. Please tell what happend
Your inbox was full so I will respond here.

I'm highly recommend you go to MNC performance. Unlike Autocouture, MNC specializes with our cars. I personally feel as though if you do not own an M3, Autocouture will not treat as you a valued client.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 06:50 PM   #13
805beemer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I've got just over 500 miles on my spec 3+ and steel smfw. Once I hit 500 miles clutch engagement is back to smooth as stock. Will let you know if I run into any issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 07:18 PM   #14
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurimOne54
Quote:
Your inbox was full so I will respond here.

I'm highly recommend you go to MNC performance. Unlike Autocouture, MNC specializes with our cars. I personally feel as though if you do not own an M3, Autocouture will not treat as you a valued client.
hmm I heard that before about them but I didn't see any sighn of that kind of customer treatment
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 09:51 PM   #15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
hmm I heard that before about them but I didn't see any sighn of that kind of customer treatment
Sorry the rest of my comment didn't paste.

Also, Autocouture charged me $850 for a clutch install which is absolutely obsurd. I went to them basically to verify if the clutch install by the previous shop was done correctly and I have reason to believe Autocouture never even dropped my transmission. Friend of mine who lived locally stated that my vehicle was outside the entire day and was worked on for at most 4hrs.

When I asked Autocouture if they replaced my transmisison bolts (since they have to be replaced every time the transmission is dropped) they stated yes and that they included them for free. Ha! That was a joke.

When I went home later that day with my car I noticed the problem again and called them back. I was told, "Sorry we did all we could do." Is that what you want to hear from a shop you just paid $850 to diagnose your clutch issue?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 09:53 PM   #16
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805beemer View Post
I've got just over 500 miles on my spec 3+ and steel smfw. Once I hit 500 miles clutch engagement is back to smooth as stock. Will let you know if I run into any issues.
My clutch pedal is heavy as hell! And I have he Stage 2+ with SMFW.

I still believe this was a installation error but knowing Spec's track record I can't rule them out.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 10:52 PM   #17
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep

i was watching the HPF video install clutch they say to replace 6 Aluminum bolts that go to the transmission with new ones. is this true? what are the part number for these bolts?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 10:58 PM   #18
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i was watching the HPF video install clutch they say to replace 6 Aluminum bolts that go to the transmission with new ones. is this true? what are the part number for these bolts?
Yes it is. I purchased mine from ECS tuning. They are fairly cheap. While you're at it I would recommend doing a transmission flush.

When I replace my clutch again I'll also be getting this:

http://www.ecstuning.com/News/BMW_Bi...013/ES2582047/
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 11:27 PM   #19
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yes it is. I purchased mine from ECS tuning. They are fairly cheap. While you're at it I would recommend doing a transmission flush.

When I replace my clutch again I'll also be getting this:

http://www.ecstuning.com/News/BMW_Bi...013/ES2582047/

is that for the manual shifter? would i still be needing it since i have the bmw SSK?

also link me to the right bolts
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 12:35 AM   #20
805beemer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
My clutch pedal is heavy as hell! And I have he Stage 2+ with SMFW.

I still believe this was a installation error but knowing Spec's track record I can't rule them out.
Yeah my clutch pedal is much heavier than stock but I no longer have to give it a bunch of throttle as I release the clutch to get it to take off smoothly. I can just slowly let out the clutch with no throttle and off she goes.

Glad you found a better shop.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 04:56 PM   #21
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep

Can I just install a spec stage 3+ with my stock flywheel or do i have to also get a SMFW what are the diffrences with installing stage3+ with stock flywheel and getting one with a SMFW what's the pro cons I'm new to this
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 04:57 PM   #22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can I just install a spec stage 3+ with my stock flywheel or do i have to also get a SMFW what are the diffrences with installing stage3+ with stock flywheel and getting one with a SMFW what's the pro cons I'm new to this
Do some research. I suggest Stage2+ with a resurfaced stock flywheel.
Appreciate 0