BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-23-2019, 09:18 PM   #23
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
Yeah, but way less turbulence, although I often drive with all of it open. 911s have a sunroof, and it was one of the things I missed most when I bought a Cayman after owning a 911. I love having a little open air above me to see the beautiful Northwest trees without needing a soft top. I'm not sure I'd buy another car without one, unless it was a full on race car.
Understandable. To each their own.

Too bad the 135i did not have the option of no sunroof here in the US.
      05-24-2019, 09:59 AM   #24
CompleteCustoms
Rep
Drives: Ford Focus, E30 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
Sunroof delete and manual seats are also fewer electrical things to break.
This is important for me as well. I know a lot of other enthusiasts that have this view- we are by far the minority though- but I like to my car to be as simple as possible. I would prefer manual seats and no sunroof even if there wasn't an issue with headroom, but that definitely necessitates at least one.

Like others, I am a BMW fan that thinks the brand is losing the plot. I completely understand the business case for the vehicles they make now, but they're definitely alienating the old-school fans of the brand. That is why a 128i is appealing to me, it is likely the last vehicle (along with the e9x M3) they will make that I will be interested in. Sorry for the rant.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 10:30 AM   #25
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteCustoms View Post
This is important for me as well. I know a lot of other enthusiasts that have this view- we are by far the minority though- but I like to my car to be as simple as possible. I would prefer manual seats and no sunroof even if there wasn't an issue with headroom, but that definitely necessitates at least one.

Like others, I am a BMW fan that thinks the brand is losing the plot. I completely understand the business case for the vehicles they make now, but they're definitely alienating the old-school fans of the brand. That is why a 128i is appealing to me, it is likely the last vehicle (along with the e9x M3) they will make that I will be interested in. Sorry for the rant.
I flip flop about this a lot. The 'old guy' in me wants manual everything. The other 'old man' in me enjoys all the creature comforts. I think I need two sports cars now. One ratted out race car and one squishy (relative) sports car. I love my 135i, but sometimes it feels to posh. When I get the next place with more garage room, I'll probably end up with a stripped and caged street car (likely an S13) to scratch that itch.

I DO wish I didn't have a sunroof thouh. I don't use them despite all three cars having them. haha
      05-24-2019, 11:09 AM   #26
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteCustoms View Post

I agree generally about more manual things. I purposefully tried to find a car without Nav, for example, and I’d love to switch out my power seats for manual versions. However, some kind of sunroof/moonroof is my exception. If most 911s had them over the past 50 years, I think it still counts as “old school.” Granted, I’d be cool if the 135i had a manual-crank sunroof without glass.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 12:02 PM   #27
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

I like the memory function in my power seats. Whenever I get in my car I back the seat up a little so I don't rub against the side bolster when I sit down in order to not wear it out any more than necessary. It's nice to get in and press the memory button which takes me back to that perfect driving position.
      05-24-2019, 12:12 PM   #28
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

I like my power seats.

That said... You can have a slicktop 135i. Roof plug and a slicktop headliner. Costs about $1200 in parts.
      05-24-2019, 12:21 PM   #29
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
I like my power seats.

That said... You can have a slicktop 135i. Roof plug and a slicktop headliner. Costs about $1200 in parts.
I don't have a problem with headroom, plus I just keep it closed. Would've been nice to have the factory option, though.
      05-24-2019, 01:03 PM   #30
apex_prd8r
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6M M-Sport

I'm only 6'-0" tall, but mostly torso (my inseam is only 31" for pants). I have a slicktop with manual sport seats, and I easily have 5" of headroom, sitting nearly bolt-upright.
Appreciate 0