http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/01...rce=feedburner
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #24
spiderz17
Not a BMW Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

^ That looks a hell of a lot better than the other pics.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #25
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
+1

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #26
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderz17 View Post
^ That looks a hell of a lot better than the other pics.
it sure does and is a completely difft car. nice.

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 11:00 PM   #27
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
Unfortunately, that engine has had quite a few reliability issues. I'm hoping that the 2012 STI and Toyota version use a new turbocharged version of the Subaru Double Overhead Chain-driven Cam motor that has just been introduced in normally aspirated form in the 2011 Forester.
Short of people running untuned with mods, I don't think this is the case at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosx View Post
I doubt Subarus flagship motor will make it into a Sub $30k car.
The WRX that starts at about $25k has the same EJ257 longblock as the STI. Just a bigger turbo and intercooler, sometimes slightly different injectors and fuel pump setup depending on the year. Also the same as a Legacy GT or Forester XT. The STI is pricey due to the tank-like 6 speed transmission, electronic center diff, better diffs, better seats, Brembo brakes, more agressive suspension, etc. The motor is really not an expensive item on that car.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 11:43 PM   #28
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
If this has a decent engine and handling that lives up to the original AE86 I think this car will be a winner. My guess is if the engine is really that good it will be competition with the 370z in price and performance.
Mid-Engine Z will out handle the ft86 with its Front mounted engine.

What's with the tin can AE86?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 12:12 AM   #29
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderz17 View Post
Looks like a 370Z copy to me.
Yep, a Z with 1M vents
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 03:30 AM   #30
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
There'll actually be a flurry of new car releases through 2011 now that the GFC is recovering around the globe...

I'm actually waiting to see the new Merc C class coupe which will be a direct competitor to the 1 series...

So far it has it all over the beemer with the interior (based on the already released new updated C class) and if all the speculated print turns out to be true about offering both a TTV6 and the new TTV8 engine options, it'll end up being more than a match performance wise...

Although that TTV8 AMG variant will probably end up costing as much or more than an M3.
C Class Coupe=3 Series coupe competitor. The C Class has always been a 3 series competitor, the CLK the 3 series coupe competitor, they just call it a diff name now...
I believe the CLC is the 1 series competitor...

Last edited by IS3andME; 01-09-2011 at 04:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #31
spiderz17
Not a BMW Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M View Post
I don't know anyone who cross-shops Mercedes & BMW...
Really? In the mind of most Americans, Mercedes and BMW are the same thing: German luxury brands. Not saying I agree, but I would say the majority of BMW and Mercedes buyers (again, at least in the U.S.) probably cross-shopped those two brands.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #32
IS3andME
Major
Rep

Quote:
Mercedes are luxury vehicles, with a focus on build quality and quiet ride. They are not performance vehicles. Even AMG variants are just over-horsepowered paper dragons. I don't know anyone who cross-shops Mercedes & BMW... (Mercedes & Jaguar, yeah).

BMW's are about handling and balance, not even remotely the same focus as Mercedes.
Many Americans cross shop between Merc and BMW, add in Audi, Lexus, Infiniti and now Jag and Caddy, you have a full deck. My mom was cross shopping between a E350 and a 535i, she didn't consider Jag at all

Furthermore, Mercedes has more storied racing history-we all know the story of the Silver Arrows vs Auto Union, the Le Mans wins, or the Sauber-Mercs of the 90's or the F1 engines.
And even for a while BMW didn't have a answer for the CLK DTM AMGs or the
CLK63 AMG Black Series, which still have more hp than the BMW M3 GTS, and who knows which one would be better on the track. Then there is the fact that Mercedes has two AMG models for the S class, where there is no M version of the 7 series---they can't use the "heavy" excuse now, since they have M versions of their "heavy" Suv's.

And the Top Gear crew really liked the C63 AMG, saying it gave the M3 a serious run for it's money. To dismiss Mercedes would not be wise. Yes, Mercs
are known for lux, and BMW is known for sport, but to say one cannot do the other, would be lacking in logic.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #33
IS3andME
Major
Rep

Quote:
Elder people looking for POSH, Ultra-Luxury amenities.. will indeed cross shop cars/vehicles that fit that segment. 5 series, 7 series... etc. Where performance is less meaningful as a stand-alone consumer feature.

So please, go ahead and extend your argument into those ranges, when we are simply talking about the 1 & 3 series... lol. Plus, you said your "Mom"... which further adds to my over-all point. I would guess your mother is not cross shopping performance, just stuff that makes mothers happy.

You seemed to agree with Wraith, yet I see no Mercedes that is a direct competitor to the 3 series, or the 1M.
So, to you the C Class and new more aggressive C class coupe is not a direct competitor to the 3 series? And when the C63 AMG is compared to the M3 and the RS4 and M3, Lexus IS-F not just by mags, but on Top Gear, Fifth Gear, etc you still see no direct competitor? They are all in the same class...

Within that entry level premium class class that the 3, IS, G37, C Class, A4 sit (yes, now the 1 series is now the "entry" level now) they offer different mixes. Merc is known for it's posh and lux, 3 series, it's sporty like handling, IS, G37, the same, Audi, it's AWD and interior...they all offer a difference take on the same type of car---but all were practically created to take on the 3 series...
As far as I know, there is no !m competitor from Mercedes, they don't even have a 1 series competitor here in the States, neither does Audi, Caddy, Jag, Infiniti, but Lexus has that CT200h---yeah, tat thing, which may be a viable competitor to the FWD BMWs
Now, I gave my reasons, so tell me, why do you see no Mercedes as a direct competitor to the 3 series---when they have clearly targeted the 3 with the C Class, the CLK in the past for the coupe, C63 AMG, C32 AMGs, etc/ I'm mean who exactly were they targeting in your opinion, and why do mags and the car shows compared the two? Do you know something that they don't? Or is this badge snobbery? Because, i'm beyond that---as you see what I drive...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #34
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogijet View Post
it sure does and is a completely difft car. nice.
Yes that's what the new C Class Merc coupe will be based on Yogijet, previous posted pics are the current/outgoing model...

The interior sure does look the bizz in this new one IMO

Quote:
I don't know anyone who cross-shops Mercedes & BMW... (Mercedes & Jaguar, yeah).

BMW's are about handling and balance, not even remotely the same focus as Mercedes.
That above is a personal generalization, as I'm sure by now you'd be well aware alot of people would indeed be cross shopping these vehicles, it may not be for you, but you can't talk on behaif of everyone else out there either - enough said !

Besides that, the literature so far released on the new C class coupe definitely makes mention of a far more focused/sharp handling and driving machine than any of the past models, lets wait and see
Appreciate 0