BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-22-2019, 01:30 PM   #1
Majestic128i
Rep
Drives: 128i

Window stuck! doesn't move?! (after icy day)

context (if needed):
It was a cold day probably 12 degrees outside, my car was covered in ice and snow so I opened the door, turned it on and let it warm up for about half an hour or so. I cleaned the rest of the snow and ice off and opened the passenger door too put my bookbag inside to find out that the window got stuck. After this, I realized so was the driver window. I let the car warm up longer and finally, the passenger side window worked but not the driver's side.

What I know: Fast forward to today, I pulled and checked all the fuses relating to the windows, all were good. Took apart the door panel and insolation, everything looked okay. I can manually move the window about a quarter-inch or so up and down. When pressing the window switch I do not hear the window motor working just a click sound.

I really can't tell whether I need to replace the window regulator or the window motor? If anyone has been in a similar situation and can offer me some insight I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, I have basic mechanical skills (changing oil, brakes, filters, a blown-out speaker, etc) How hard of a job would this be?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 06:10 AM   #2
jrk12
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 128i, Mazda Miata

The exact same thing happened to me. The window was iced over and stopped working. I whacked the motor with a hammer a bunch of times while using the switch. Now it works exactly the same as before.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 07:37 PM   #3
Majestic128i
Rep
Drives: 128i

My window motor ended up being bad. I ordered a new one and replaced it, it was fine for a few seconds until I rolled the window down and it is now stuck on the bottom like if it fell? I can move the window up with my hand but it will just fall back to the bottom. The line on the left is very loose, not sure what the problem is. I might suck it up and bring it to a mechanic unless someone has some insight.
Appreciate 0