BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-22-2020, 10:56 AM   #1
Iwantbjz
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Real Minimal Effort Alternative To Walnut Blasting

Hey guys we all know what a PITA it is to clean the intake valves on these direct injection engines and to be honest I don't have the money to be walnut blasting the car as often as I like or really trust anyone doing it. I tried the CRC method but it took for ever. I decided to try a couple of alternatives and found something pretty amazing. For around $25 you can use the CRC mixed and the result are insane so i thought This would help A LOT of people on here that don't have the time or money to buy all the equipment and do the plasting themselves or drop the car off at a shop and wait a day or two. I KNOW this will helps some of you.

There is a comparison of just using CRC and adding the Secret sauce:

Appreciate 1
c0bra185.00
      09-06-2020, 11:26 AM   #2
AForceNinja
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Dude wear some gloves
      09-09-2020, 12:45 PM   #3
Iwantbjz
Rep

HAHAHA Yea you are absolutely correct.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 10:58 PM   #4
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Isn't brake cleaner a bit harsh on those Metal components?

Also I'd recommend a turkey baster or syringe with aquarium airline tubing, it might save a couple rolls of shop cloths.

In my opinion a safer alternative to this would be alcohol and naphtha or kerosene. I think the alcohol being moderately polar would work well in dissolving the crud and kerosene is also a very good solvent, so it could thin and dissolve the carbon build up.

But just my two cents.

Have you tried that seafoam Intake cleaner that you spray in after the MAF while the car is running?

I heard some people say it works and others actually use a borescope after and saw it made very little difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 09:44 PM   #5
Iwantbjz
Rep

Brake Cleaner will not hurt the aluminum, steel, or bronze components in the head. To be extra sure the brake cleaner formula chosen is non-chlorinated so it is even easier on the metal.

The turkey baster is a really good idea actually but i used exactly 1 roll of towels so it was not that bad but i will save you from having to get that on your hands.

I have not tried the seafoam but will definitely give it a shot in the future. Thanks for the advice.
Appreciate 0