BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #23
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M

In stock class you can reflash anything. Now, if holding the button down for 5 seconds turns it off you are ok. Which i had everything that could be turned off off.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #24
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

The CBC (cornering brake control) is controlled by the ABS module not the dme. Don't think you'll be able to find anyone to re-program it.

I've confirmed with BMWNA that the CBC is turned off on the E9x M3 when you turn all the stability/traction control nannies off, but it is not similarly turned off on the 1M. I was unable to determine whether this was due to a tighter development budget for the 1M or whether BMW engineers were concerned about the different dynamics of a torquier car with a shorter wheelbase.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #25
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3kerry View Post
No, i don't like that kind of course and it does not favor the car but you get this type of course at airports and drag strips. The texas tour had a better course but i will take the win.

Autocross is about the people and friends. It is for those that want to compete but can't afford to go fender to fender racing. I think most people look at it and would rather go do a DE.

I hear ya. I used to love autocrossing! The last year I did it seriously I was competing for first place in BMW F class in my z3 mcoupe. I had Ground Control Suspension and Sumitumo HTRZ II tires. My main competitor, Scott Riley had an e36 M3 with basically stock suspension but Hoosier tires. We went back and forth all season and I finally won it at the last race of the year. For sure a great life experiance.

Congradulations on your first win in the new car btw! Will be fun to see how you do this year. You are competing for regional and potentially national championship right?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #26
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
The CBC (cornering brake control) is controlled by the ABS module not the dme. Don't think you'll be able to find anyone to re-program it.

I've confirmed with BMWNA that the CBC is turned off on the E9x M3 when you turn all the stability/traction control nannies off, but it is not similarly turned off on the 1M. I was unable to determine whether this was due to a tighter development budget for the 1M or whether BMW engineers were concerned about the different dynamics of a torquier car with a shorter wheelbase.

Neil

Any chance someone like Shiv or Burger could override this on a piggyback system?

It will definitely be a pretty big hinderance to this car once people start to get more serious with autocrossing and eventually racing it. Not to mention just sux for experienced DE type drivers/instructors.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #27
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
Any chance someone like Shiv or Burger could override this on a piggyback system?

It will definitely be a pretty big hinderance to this car once people start to get more serious with autocrossing and eventually racing it. Not to mention just sux for experienced DE type drivers/instructors.
No, because the ABS/CBC is not controlled by the ecu. The ABS has an entirely different "brain."

Neil
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #28
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm
Quote:
No, i don't like that kind of course and it does not favor the car but you get this type of course at airports and drag strips. The texas tour had a better course but i will take the win.

Autocross is about the people and friends. It is for those that want to compete but can't afford to go fender to fender racing. I think most people look at it and would rather go do a DE.

I hear ya. I used to love autocrossing! The last year I did it seriously I was competing for first place in BMW F class in my z3 mcoupe. I had Ground Control Suspension and Sumitumo HTRZ II tires. My main competitor, Scott Riley had an e36 M3 with basically stock suspension but Hoosier tires. We went back and forth all season and I finally won it at the last race of the year. For sure a great life experiance.

Congradulations on your first win in the new car btw! Will be fun to see how you do this year. You are competing for regional and potentially national championship right?
National.

This car sucks on a small lot. My co-driver and I were a pretty well known pair of drivers at one point. The co-driver just missed winning b stock a few year ago at nationals in a 60 car field with about 10 guys that could have won it. I don't suck either but I am just hoping to be in the trophies where the co-driver has a real chance of winning.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #29
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Even a new GT3 RS 4.0 has a cornering brake control system like this, and it also can't be defeated. It gives a strange sensation from behind the wheel, not sure if it actually slows you down if you're expecting it and drive for it.

Based on your delta from Super Stock it looks like you've still got a fair bit of work to do to be competitive nationally in A Stock? You'd hope shocks could help a bunch, especially with getting power down...
      03-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #30
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
Even a new GT3 RS 4.0 has a cornering brake control system like this, and it also can't be defeated. It gives a strange sensation from behind the wheel, not sure if it actually slows you down if you're expecting it and drive for it.

Based on your delta from Super Stock it looks like you've still got a fair bit of work to do to be competitive nationally in A Stock? You'd hope shocks could help a bunch, especially with getting power down...
On day 2 a 48.5 (in pax) would have put us on sam and braun. My co-driver had a 49.4 dirty. I think he could have put a clean 49 flat down even with the 2 year layoff.

Are shocks and a sway bar worth a half second? I think they are, so i think the car can be built to win. Now, can the two guys driving it get a 10/10's run out of it? I don't know. If the car ends up out of the trophies at nationals, i don't think it will be the cars fault.

That is about all you can ask for. Having built and campained m3's in STU and felt like I was getting beat by better cars, i am ready to have the car not being the excuse.

This car will be on pace.

Last edited by m3kerry; 03-23-2012 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #31
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Looking at the times I think I agree, the car sounds quick enough to be competitive, at least on that type of course. Anything close to a second from Braun on that length course would probably have been fast enough to win nationals last year...

Could your tire diameters be causing issues with the ABS/ brake control? They want you to maintain the 1/2" OD diameter difference front to rear. I'm assuming you're using 265/295, so 26.2" OD front and either 26.1" or 27.3" rear. Neither one of those is very close to the requested .5" difference from the front, which might be confusing the system?
      03-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #32
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
Looking at the times I think I agree, the car sounds quick enough to be competitive, at least on that type of course. Anything close to a second from Braun on that length course would probably have been fast enough to win nationals last year...

Could your tire diameters be causing issues with the ABS/ brake control? They want you to maintain the 1/2" OD diameter difference front to rear. I'm assuming you're using 265/295, so 26.2" OD front and either 26.1" or 27.3" rear. Neither one of those is very close to the requested .5" difference from the front, which might be confusing the system?
There is just no choices on tires. Hoosier has 265/35/19 for the front and 295/30/19 for the rear. So, the rears are the same but the fronts are taller.

I think we can stay out of the abs issue. It happens when you are late and have to jerk the wheel while on the brake.

My numbers above are pax, so you know it is bench racing number not raw times.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #33
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

I've noticed the brake modulation issue as well on very tight turns with heavy braking going into 1st gear. It only happens when you are really pushing it hard. Probably could be avoided with a smoother style.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #34
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundahl View Post
I've noticed the brake modulation issue as well on very tight turns with heavy braking going into 1st gear. It only happens when you are really pushing it hard. Probably could be avoided with a smoother style.
I think you are right.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #35
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

If someone is in Connecticut Sunday, and has a video recorder than can be stuffed in my 1M, Kerry would like to see how I do.

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #36
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
If someone is in Connecticut Sunday, and has a video recorder than can be stuffed in my 1M, Kerry would like to see how I do.
That's right!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #37
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Looks like client demands will prevent me from competing tomorrow.

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #38
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep

Booo!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #39
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
On day 2 a 48.5 (in pax) would have put us on sam and braun. My co-driver had a 49.4 dirty. I think he could have put a clean 49 flat down even with the 2 year layoff.

Are shocks and a sway bar worth a half second? I think they are, so i think the car can be built to win. Now, can the two guys driving it get a 10/10's run out of it? I don't know. If the car ends up out of the trophies at nationals, i don't think it will be the cars fault.

That is about all you can ask for. Having built and campained m3's in STU and felt like I was getting beat by better cars, i am ready to have the car not being the excuse.

My friend and I did an A Stock smackdown yesterday, his Cayman S, built to A Stock rules with alignment, etc, vs my stock 1M. Conditions were very wet and slippery, favoring the Cayman I think, and we were on identical tires (Michelin pilot super sport). We got 14 runs swapping cars, an we were both learning the 1M (and I was learning the Cayman). I think our conclusion was that in those conditions, as it sat, the 1M was perhaps slightly faster but harder to get a good lap out of. The Cayman was much easier to drive, and the 1M felt "sloppy" by comparison. The wet weather and lack of grip meant the 1M couldn't fully use its big power advantage. Our suspicion is that in different conditions on Hoosiers the 1M would have an advantage on the average course. We both felt shocks and a swaybar should be worth at least a half second- the 1M was clearly loosing time in the slaloms, etc.
      03-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #40
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB
Quote:

My friend and I did an A Stock smackdown yesterday, his Cayman S, built to A Stock rules with alignment, etc, vs my stock 1M. Conditions were very wet and slippery, favoring the Cayman I think, and we were on identical tires (Michelin pilot super sport). We got 14 runs swapping cars, an we were both learning the 1M (and I was learning the Cayman). I think our conclusion was that in those conditions, as it sat, the 1M was perhaps slightly faster but harder to get a good lap out of. The Cayman was much easier to drive, and the 1M felt "sloppy" by comparison. The wet weather and lack of grip meant the 1M couldn't fully use its big power advantage. Our suspicion is that in different conditions on Hoosiers the 1M would have an advantage on the average course. We both felt shocks and a swaybar should be worth at least a half second- the 1M was clearly loosing time in the slaloms, etc.
The car feels,sloppy at 45+ in scca slaloms. It needs a bar and struts to allow it to transition on pace.

The issue is pulling the struts to send them to someone to have them transformed in stock struts from coilovers.

Add a bigger front bar to help get power to the ground and i think the car us on pace and it just needs a driver.

Then you need a pit crew and a few sets of wheels and tires to handle the opb at nationals. We are putting the better drive 1st and planning to crub like hell between runs.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #41
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

I ended up going today. Big spin on the first run getting damned close to a light pole. Not good. The pole looked REALLY close in the interior rear view mirror. A few minutes after I parked, a Z3M Roadster spins in almost the exact same spot just not as close to the pole. I go out to look a the spin marks as it was a worker change over. The course designer comes over (I've know him for decades) comes over with others and we discuss solutions. I suggest pinching the lead up to that section. The designer refuses any changes. Mind you this is a non-points event. The ambient temp is 48°. We're not going for a championship here. But nope, he won't do it. I am very annoyed and advise them I will be leaving. A few folks talk me out of it and I do need the seat time. Fine I stay. Next run is respectable time and no "incidents." After my third run, I have lunch. A friends comes up to say she just spun in the same spot. Hmmm, not good. I'm outta there. Pack up and go. The designer comes up. I mention that I cannot understand why he would put folks in jeopardy and compromise safety. We go back and forth a bit but to no resolution. I leave.

I received a text a few minutes ago, another driver spun twice in the same spot (he's good driver and is letting the course designer co-drive his RX-8). They stopped the event to "sweep the corner."

hey, Kerry, the fronts rub "a little?!" Yikes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #42
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep

They do but i dont see a long term issue here. Tne fencer liner will need to be replaced at some point but i am living with it.

Do you think anything is getting hurt?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #43
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

I don't think there is damage, but I was laughing to myself at your definition of "a little." When I went to tech if I gave a lot of steering input I could hear the tires and liners rubbing. When I reparked I turn the wheel all the way to the right and the liner were mashed together. Hey if it ain't rubbin' it ain't racin'.

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #44
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm
I don't think there is damage, but I was laughing to myself at your definition of "a little." When I went to tech if I gave a lot of steering input I could hear the tires and liners rubbing. When I reparked I turn the wheel all the way to the right and the liner were mashed together. Hey if it ain't rubbin' it ain't racin'.
Like you, i can live with it. I would love to have a 30mm in the front but i think removing some of the rack helps the rear end of the car.
Appreciate 0