BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read




 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-09-2019, 08:25 AM   #23
Boost3d_1M
Private
South Africa
50
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: E82 1M
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

These were the items I used to do the actual carbon clean, Products are
a) Lube-X compression Stabiliser
b) DupliColor Brake Cleaner
c) Gun cleaning kit, with assorted hard brushes and cotton swabs
d) Syringe to extract fluids out of Cylinder

Lots of patience and rags! :P
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 08:37 AM   #24
Boost3d_1M
Private
South Africa
50
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: E82 1M
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Before and after Pictures Of the throtte body and intake manifold.

Gave the throttle body a clean with the same compression stabiliser and toothbrush to get it all clean. After pic's include the part that is called the "BOV reference" and all that was required to fit this part was lubing the two o-rings inside the attachment and fitting the E-clip

I also gave the manifold a clean with that spray, then power washed , before replacing gaskets with fresh, new oem gaskets from BMW. There's a random pic of the pool of degreaser/stabilizer fluid that settled in the cleaning container. Included in the bov kit, was a little block off sleeve and cable tie that closes off the existing vacuum port on the manifold.
Attached Images
         
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M378.50

      09-09-2019, 08:56 AM   #25
Boost3d_1M
Private
South Africa
50
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: E82 1M
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

On to the hardest part of this weekend. The actual cleaning. This is the process iv used previously and did the same again this weekend. I fill the chamber in "compression stabilizer solution" which basically dissolves the carbon deposit. I let the solution sit for an hour, then scrub it with the wire brushes from the gun kit. Syringe out that "used solution" then let a fresh dose of fluid sit in the cylinders to work overnight.

Syringing out the fluid cleans out about 85% of the solution which leaves the last 15% of dirt fluid around the valves. To remedy this process, i cut up section of an old cotton t-shirt and stuff it into the cylinder, i repeat this process until iv gotten out as much dirt/fluid as possible.

Some pics of the end results, definitely cant compete with the time/effort/ cleanliness factor of doing a walnut blast but this method only cost me R600 ( about $50 ) as opposed to the R3800 ( $250 ) it costs to do a walnut blast over here. Instead of outlaying for the walnut blast, i opted to purchase the external pcv kit, which will hopefully remedy this problem. Ps i did have a BMS "High Side" OCC kit on my previous n54 and honestly there was hardly any fluid in that setup after many years and thousands of Kilometres worth of use.
Attached Images
         
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M378.50

      09-09-2019, 09:03 AM   #26
Boost3d_1M
Private
South Africa
50
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: E82 1M
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Suffering from OCD doesnt help, so i spent a few more hours cleaning up the engine block and lower subframe as best as I could.
Attached Images
    
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M378.50

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST