BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-05-2021, 04:23 AM   #1
Zufelt
Registered
Rep
Drives: 135i BMW

Thumbs down 30FF Issue; Can’t find a Fix

Hey how's it going guys! I'm new to the platform, but I've been around boosted cars for awhile. A couple months ago I picked up a 135i FBO - inlets/outlets, Mfactory flywheel, Mfactory Helical LSD, BMS Intakes, JB4, 7'' FMIC, upgraded chargepipe w/ Turbonetic DV's, Catless DPs. I drove it around for awhile without issues, that is until I decided I was going to do some preventitive maintenance and replace the valve cover gasket. During this process I had forgotten to disconnect the battery and my lights remained on eventually killing the battery. Once I finished up the VC gasket I jumped the car, and started to head towards my nearest E85 station to put an E30 mix in the car. While driving over to the gas station the car was severely underboosting and lacked power. I equated this to the battery dying and losing the flash that was previously put on it (MHD Stage 2+ 91 OCT). After filling up at the gas station, and loading the new OTS tune I popped an 30FF then realising it wasn't the tune at all but rather something I must have forgotten to re-connect. (Whew sorry for the long winded beginning but I felt it's important to start from the beginning).

I do my best to try and resolve my issues with what's around here on the forums but this one has me stumped. So far I have done the following to correct my condition.

Checked the ChargePipe O-ring for damage - checks good.
Re-Flashed the tune
Applied 10PSI pressure to the inlets - checks good.
Replaced ALL vacuum lines, including the ones that go to the wastegates.
Verified that the wastegates function under the normal 7HG with a Mightyvac.
Verified that I have 25HG coming from the Vacuum pump to the cannisters.
Placed a T inline with the lines connecting the boost solenoid to see what vacuum they're pulling under WOT. The vacuum was extremely low - spikes to 18HG then right after going to 8HG then to 2HG.
Replaced the Boost Solenoids due to the findings above - still having boosting issues.
Removed the boot from the hotside of the intercooler and pressurized the system - Found a few small leaks, nothing big but fixed them all.
Verified that the Wastegate actuators c clip didn't fall off, thus the wastegate actuator falling off.
Re-seated the boost solnoid harness.
Completely flashed back to stock, and ran the JB4 Map 5. (Instantly tossed me into limp mode) All while acting extremely buggy - sometimes the menu wouldn't work, or the hazards would stay illuminated (No this isn't due to my Shift RPM being low, and yes the gauges are set for a 135i). In order to fix these issues I would have to continually turn the car off and on.

The last odd peice to this puzzle is after going through everything I removed is that I found a diagram for the vacuum lines and noticed one of the vacuum lines going to the canister was swapped (This doesn't matter at all, however at the time I didn't know this).
I then proceeded to take the car on a drive and it drove GREAT. It was pulling like never before, I bring it home happy with the situation at hand only to drive it the next day and run into the 30FF issue rocking about 6 PSI of boost.

I have since deleted the canisters just to make troubleshooting easier on myself as there are less peices to the puzzle.

My last ditch effort that I can think of is to remove the JB4 completely as perhaps it's causing issues with the MHD tune. (It's pretty unlikely as I have ran them together for a couplemonths without issues but figure it's worth trying)

While turbos being bad could be a possibility, or hell perhaps even the wastegates needing a slight adjustment I find it extremely odd that RIGHT AFTER I replaced my VC gasket I started to have these issues intermittently. If anyone has ANY suggestions please shoot them my way. Again sorry for the long winded post, I just wanted to include everything possible.

For anyone wondering I followed this guide for solving the 30FF to no avail. https://blog.protuningfreaks.com/201...k-testing-diy/

I've attached both logs, the low boost log and the random I'm going to actually work log.

Last edited by Zufelt; 06-05-2021 at 04:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 01:10 AM   #2
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
This is the 1M section....you'll get a lot more traffic in the main section.

I hope you get it sorted out.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 02:56 PM   #3
Zufelt
Registered
Rep
Drives: 135i BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post

I appreciate you!
Unfortunately I can't move it, didn't realize. However just for anyone that happens to run across this. Removing the jb4 completely fixed all issues and its boosting better than ever. Note to self don't run jb4 with a mhd OTS map loaded.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 05:56 PM   #4
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zufelt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post

I appreciate you!
Unfortunately I can't move it, didn't realize. However just for anyone that happens to run across this. Removing the jb4 completely fixed all issues and its boosting better than ever. Note to self don't run jb4 with a mhd OTS map loaded.
True! MHD does have maps designed for JB4 for the few situations where is it necessary, but you are better off letting MHD do what it does.
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0