BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-11-2018, 05:53 AM   #45
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds350 View Post
Since cost and repair is a concern in regard to a m235, I have a few questions in regard to the turbos. I've taken all of my BMWs will into the 100k mileage range with basic maintenance, but they have all been NA motors. What would the average life expectancy of the N55 turbo be and how much would is it to replace? I'm assuming these need to be addressed after 100k miles based on the limited knowledge I have.
The turbo in the N55 has not been a problem at stock boost levels. Plenty of N55's running around with well over 100k. I think you might be overthinking this...
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 08:14 AM   #46
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm3 View Post
So far in 2018 I'm at $1400 for a water pump and I'll need new rear tires and some routine maintenance so it will be close assuming nothing else goes seriously wrong.
My mechanic nephew replaced my water pump for $600. And rear tires wear on other cars too, no?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 09:19 AM   #47
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Knowing what I know now I don't think I could buy a used BMW.
At least new you can get a solid 3 years of warranty driving.

Then depending upon how many miles you put on maybe another year or two without any major expensive repairs.
But after say 5 years and maybe 60k miles that its a ticking time bomb.

I was originally going to go CPO but there are too many things not covered by the CPO warranty.

At the end of the day I still love my 135i. I still get favorable comments from strangers all the time.

I have told myself as long as I can keep the total expenses (maintenance and repairs) down to $2,500/yr. or so I will keep the car because its worth it to me.

So far in 2018 I'm at $1400 for a water pump and I'll need new rear tires and some routine maintenance so it will be close assuming nothing else goes seriously wrong.
Why would you even consider the cost of tires and routine maintenance in your calculations? Any car is going to cost you for that. Granted, RWD performance cars eat tires, but unless your next move is going to be an entirely different sort of a vehicle, you'll have the same expense with the new car as with the old one.
      07-11-2018, 08:11 PM   #48
olds350
Needs a long road trip...
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e91, '13 e88, '19 golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain slowly View Post
The turbo in the N55 has not been a problem at stock boost levels. Plenty of N55's running around with well over 100k. I think you might be overthinking this...
No, I'm just asking questions because I'm ignorant to some of the turbo issues. I want to go into this with eyes wide open and educated. You guys have been great at feeding me info, for the most part
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 09:49 PM   #49
rho123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i - sold, 2007 Z4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Bottom line is that any BMW out of warranty is a wallet biopsy waiting to happen. No one should buy a BMW (as opposed to leasing one) without this basic understanding, especially if they intend to keep the car beyond the warranty period.

I don't think the question is whether the 2-Series is a competent car; it certainly is, for doing all the things that cars are required to do. If instead the question is whether the 2-Series still provides the driver-connected driving experience that BMW built its brand on, the answer might be completely different. For me, I'd concede the competency of the car, but I would not agree that it is fun to drive in the same way that a 2002, an old 325i, or a 1-Series is/was.

If one is to the point of only looking for a fast, truly modern, and competent car, BMW is not the only player in that space, and I would expand my search and look at other brands as well.
The whole complaint about maintenance costs with BMW really puzzles me. You're not driving a Toyota or Honda. Now I do agree there should be some level of reliability at this level. I use my Ducati as an analogy. I bought the bike knowing there will be higher than normal maintenance costs. If people are complaining about routine maintenance for their BMWs, they'll have a heart attack with a Ducati. My 848 was just in for its 15k service and the cost was $1600. No repairs done. Just routine maintenance. And I also got a 15% discount so it would have been higher. In contrast, my Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R has been extremely cheap to own and operate.
I think we are mixing up high maintenance cost with high repair cost (meaning things break easily and cost more to fix). In Toyota language maintenance cost means:
Oil change
Brake pads and rotors
Belts
Etc...

In BMW world things like HPFP, water pump, window regulator, or PDC are considered maintenance cost when it is really repair cost.

Of course most Bmw owners know what we're getting into when we want the ultimate driving experience.
      07-12-2018, 07:27 AM   #50
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Why would you even consider the cost of tires and routine maintenance in your calculations? Any car is going to cost you for that. Granted, RWD performance cars eat tires, but unless your next move is going to be an entirely different sort of a vehicle, you'll have the same expense with the new car as with the old one.
No you're right. I expect tires on a new 240i will wear as quickly and cost as much as the ones on my 135i. Still I wish I got more than 15k or less out of them

Unfortunately my nephews are 9 years old and cannot change my water pump for $600
      07-12-2018, 10:18 AM   #51
five_timer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No you're right. I expect tires on a new 240i will wear as quickly and cost as much as the ones on my 135i. Still I wish I got more than 15k or less out of them

Unfortunately my nephews are 9 years old and cannot change my water pump for $600
Some of the advantages that come with age: having a master mechanic nephew, and being perfectly OK with tires that can go 40K miles.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 10:34 AM   #52
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by five_timer View Post
Some of the advantages that come with age: having a master mechanic nephew, and being perfectly OK with tires that can go 40K miles.
I guess I'm going through a near mid life crisis then. Just put on sticky low mileage tires on my 135i and have equally low mileage tires on my sport bikes. Plus haven't gotten the need for speed out of my system as evidenced by my track addiction running around on a motorcycle.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 10:39 AM   #53
five_timer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My bad; I looked up my post from when I had it replaced. It was $550 (parts & labor). He's a good nephew; I gave him a nice cigar and his favorite whiskey for his troubles.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 10:53 AM   #54
five_timer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess I'm going through a near mid life crisis then. Just put on sticky low mileage tires on my 135i and have equally low mileage tires on my sport bikes. Plus haven't gotten the need for speed out of my system as evidenced by my track addiction running around on a motorcycle.
Whatever floats your boat. I once had a Toyota MR2 turbo that gave me 10K from the rears, plus a CBR1000F. Got it out of my system, I guess.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 11:13 AM   #55
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Whatever floats your boat. I once had a Toyota MR2 turbo that gave me 10K from the rears, plus a CBR1000F. Got it out of my system, I guess.
I guess it's a hobby/sport for me. I had done some autocrossing almost 20 years ago. Used Yokohama AVS Intermediates on the track and as my daily street tire. Ended up roasting the tires after running about 4 to 5 track events so I don't think I even got 7k out of the tires.

When I look at where I am now skill level wise versus what I was 20 years ago, I'm actually faster now as I have lap times over the years of running around VIR. Plus being able to hold my own with younger people at timed events like UDE and the M Car Control Clinic. What inspires me is watching old guys like Keith Code still able to rail around a track at the speeds he can do which will put people much younger to shame.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 10:55 PM   #56
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Its funny you say that. I used to have a Honda Civic and did the typical lowering kit, low profile tires, I/H/E bolt ons (intake, headers, exhaust). The final mod was the exhaust and it was so loud and droney that I hated myself for doing it. Definitely got that out of my system and not interested in doing similar mods on any of my cars anymore. Even hesitant to get an ///M car as a daily for fear its not quiet enough. I love all aspects of performance except over the top sound. Getting old I guess.
Appreciate 0