04-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #23
darkvaderr
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorinel999 View Post
if driving experience is what matters then we would not have stopwatches. we would all go to the track and say "i won" cause i felt really good in my car. anyone can argue with how a car feels for him but nobody can argue with the 0-60 or track time a car puts down.

one could say the 1m is a better value but not a better car.
Go buy a go kart with a v8 strapped on it.
You clearly don't understand what makes one car better than another.

one could say the Cayman R is a better performing car but not a better car.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #24
cuban335i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i xdrive

I hate all these BMW biased articles. I'd take a cayman R any day of the week over a 1M. Naturally aspirated, mid engine, 2 seat, SPORT car vs. turbo charged, front engine, front heavy, 2+2, sport/luxury car... not even a comparison IMO
'12 e92 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo - ADV.1 ADV10, Volk TE37SL, OSS, Innotech F1, Arkym, iND
'09 e92 335i Alpine White/Saddle Brown - fully modded
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #25
l888apex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: #30/740 BSM 1M

I think once again the performance vs. price point of the 1M is boosting it's overall image. It appears to be a good bang for the buck and a fun to drive package.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 07:04 PM   #26
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkvaderr View Post
one could say the Cayman R is a better performing car but not a better car.
agreed.

Wonder why the ttrs wasnt in the comparison, curious how it performs againsts the cayman r.

Who knows if the magazines are biased or not, but most of us here have never driven both cars, so we wouldnt know if they are truly biased or the 1M is truly a great driver car.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #27
natelam
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i SG MT

intersting
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 07:16 PM   #28
JoosyJoos
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post
I'm actually extremely surprised. You'd think that the Cayman R would deliver an infinitely better driving experience completely regardless of its clearly superior performance numbers.

To the goof that's calling out the author's ding against the 1M's 52% weight distribution: that's a completely valid weakness of that car relative to the Cayman and isn't subject to the 50/50 vs 40/60 debate. Having a rearward weight bias (like the Cayman's 45/55) will always be superior to anything nose-heavy.
Don't call me a goof.

And it is indeed subjective. BMW wouldn't aim for a 50-50 bias if it weren't the case. Other manufacturers feel differently though.

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #29
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

I'm a bit surprised at the outcome as well. I know other mags will come out with this same comparison so it will be interesting to see those results.

BTW, if the 1M was offered in Jerez Black, it may have looked like this. Kudos to the BSM reflecting the sky and the CR's paint in this pic for the JB effect.

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 07:38 PM   #30
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

Since no one here has driven the Cayman R or the 1M and we also haven't had a chance to read this entire review what are people basing the lack of respect for the 1M on?

How about we wait and see what others are saying about the 1M after it is launched next month and after a few other magazines review it. One test doesn't make the car, neither do just a set of specs of 0 - 60 etc or how fast the car goes around a particular race track.

It's as if we are all professional race drivers looking to pounce on the next fasted thing out there, since we all drive on race tracks everyday right?
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #31
skyphab
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: MK5 GTI --> Cayman R (skip 1M)

Regarding speed and driving fun for money you won't get anything better than the 1M. In fact, you won't get near to the 1M with any other practical 4 seater. The RS3 is the only car that could be considered as a real alternative but then again its not, if you're speaking of things like rear wheel drive sensation and stuff like LSD. And its more expensive, too.

But a Porsche and in this case a Cayman R is a different story. After my 1M contract blew and I drove my first Cayman S I have to say that there are things you can't compare side by side in a 0-60 mph table.

Where I was hunting after 0-100 kmh and 0-200 kmh times while waiting for the 1M, I don't care anymore with my Cayman R ordered. Its the sound and the sensation such a car creates and if I am slower 0-200 kmh with my R I couldn't care less.

Its a different level. If you talk to people about your car its interesting, that they don't ask about much details if you say you ordered a Porsche. Its more like "wow, Porsche" than "how fast is it from 0-200 kmh?". Its really interesting and I don't know why, but suddenly female friends of mine are looking forward to my Porsche.

What I'm trying to say: The 1M is comparable data wise and it's a wonderful car. But take the data sheets away, get into a Cayman R and start the engine. Experience that sound and that smell when you spur that engine, and you won't be interested in that data sheets for a long time.

But since Porsche knows that, you'll have to pay. My R is nearly twice the price from my formerly ordered 1M but you can't compare the interior, you can't compare the seats, you can't compare the short shifter, you can't compare the sound and you can't compare the feeling of max bhp from 6'500 to 7'400 rpm.

In the end, the cars are only comparable on the data sheet and its okay, because the 1M is a fantastic car for that money. But no one will ever tell me, that a 1M does feel better over a Cayman R on a fast driven, winding road.

Last edited by skyphab; 04-21-2011 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #32
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Interesting review. I would love to see the results of the same 1M with a JB4 tune. IMHO, that's all it's missing, I think the extra bump in power would make it a tough car to beat in a straight and on track. If money wasn't a consideration I'd take the Cayman R though, I think it's one hell of a car.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #33
WyattHerb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Can't wait for the details. I feel as if the Cayman, in one form or another, is routinely described as a great driver's car, if not the best. It will be impressive if future 1M owners, critics and the experienced public alike continue echoing this opinion about it as a driver's car as more enter the population.
      04-21-2011, 08:00 PM   #34
Faust
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Vauxhall Calibra, M3 (E46)

This comparison smells of BS first of all because AutoBild notoriously favours the VW group hence I see no chance it would pick a BMW over a Porsche, especially with such price difference.

I guess they simply wanted an excuse for more VW/Audi/Porsche wins in forthcoming comparisons. Once they picked Passat CC as the overal winner against Mercedes CLS!

In my opinion you can't even compare the two cars. They are different cars. 1M should be compared to RS3 not Cayman. The Cayman should be compared to a Z4M if there ever is one, TT RS or AMG SLK, hence the whole thing is a bit irrelevant imo.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #35
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

The fact that we are seeing 1Ms compared to one of todays 'best sports cars' speaks volumes. The 1M should be a fantastic machine.

The R comparison is a bit strange though. I would have figured it would have been more comparable to the S.

Wonder when someone is going to pit the 1M against the current M3....
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #36
Stig'sM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Ofcourse the opinions here will be biased; this is a BMW forum afterall.

but if one could afford either of the two, id like to see who would buy the M1 over the R.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 08:28 PM   #37
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

I bet you this is one of the magazine tricks to gain readership. When you have a provocative headline it will attract more readers.
      04-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #38
darkvaderr
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyphab View Post
Regarding speed and driving fun for money you won't get anything better than the 1M. In fact, you won't get near to the 1M with any other practical 4 seater. The RS3 is the only car that could be considered as a real alternative but then again its not, if you're speaking of things like rear wheel drive sensation and stuff like LSD. And its more expensive, too.

But a Porsche and in this case a Cayman R is a different story. After my 1M contract blew and I drove my first Cayman S I have to say that there are things you can't compare side by side in a 0-60 mph table.

Where I was hunting after 0-100 kmh and 0-200 kmh times while waiting for the 1M, I don't care anymore with my Cayman R ordered. Its the sound and the sensation such a car creates and if I am slower 0-200 kmh with my R I couldn't care less.

Its a different level. If you talk to people about your car its interesting, that they don't ask about much details if you say you ordered a Porsche. Its more like "wow, Porsche" than "how fast is it from 0-200 kmh?". Its really interesting and I don't know why, but suddenly female friends of mine are looking forward to my Porsche.

What I'm trying to say: The 1M is comparable data wise and it's a wonderful car. But take the data sheets away, get into a Cayman R and start the engine. Experience that sound and that smell when you spur that engine, and you won't be interested in that data sheets for a long time.

But since Porsche knows that, you'll have to pay. My R is nearly twice the price from my formerly ordered 1M but you can't compare the interior, you can't compare the seats, you can't compare the short shifter, you can't compare the sound and you can't compare the feeling of max bhp from 6'500 to 7'400 rpm.

In the end, the cars are only comparable on the data sheet and its okay, because the 1M is a fantastic car for that money. But no one will ever tell me, that a 1M does feel better over a Cayman R on a fast driven, winding road.

Congrats!
But yeh, the 135i couldn't hold a candle to the M3, and the M3 couldn't hold a candle to the Cayman S.
I still have dreams about driving the Cayman
The combination of M3 Chassis in a 1 body must've resulted in some unfathomable magic if the 1M truly drives better than a Cayman R (which even if it only offers minimal improvement over a Cayman S must be nothing less than absolute magic to drive.)
But at any rate, I'm getting more and more excited to drive the 1M to see for myself!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 08:42 PM   #39
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Not an M1!)

wow! the new baby M is a real competitor to the studs in Stuttgart!

Im sold, Im in. I want a 1M!!

Wait....I cant get one. They were ove-rpromised and under-delivered. Only if I pay a premium can I ever drive the 1M. Pointless article. I hope its obvious, Im bitter.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 08:48 PM   #40
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVES1M View Post
Price guys! Price!!!!, a ferrari out performs the 1 m, but it,s moreeeeeeeee money!!!
I love the reverse logic of fanboys.... If it was a civic that came close to the 1m you'd all be saying, the price premium is worth it or that somehow you get what you pay for and you'd praise the 1m, but when the more expensive car is the better car, you all get touchy and claim the 1m is better value for the money or that you're ok to sacrifice performance for the 35k diff...

Who the hell understands you guys...
      04-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #41
nlpamg
MBWorld Spy
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, F8 Tributo, GR Supra

ooooh snap!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #42
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadair View Post
Since no one here has driven the Cayman R or the 1M and we also haven't had a chance to read this entire review what are people basing the lack of respect for the 1M on?

How about we wait and see what others are saying about the 1M after it is launched next month and after a few other magazines review it. One test doesn't make the car, neither do just a set of specs of 0 - 60 etc or how fast the car goes around a particular race track.

It's as if we are all professional race drivers looking to pounce on the next fasted thing out there, since we all drive on race tracks everyday right?
Thank you Red. Well said.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #43
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkvaderr View Post
Congrats!
But yeh, the 135i couldn't hold a candle to the M3, and the M3 couldn't hold a candle to the Cayman S.
I still have dreams about driving the Cayman
The combination of M3 Chassis in a 1 body must've resulted in some unfathomable magic if the 1M truly drives better than a Cayman R (which even if it only offers minimal improvement over a Cayman S must be nothing less than absolute magic to drive.)
But at any rate, I'm getting more and more excited to drive the 1M to see for myself!
Really? M3 doesn't hold a candle to Cayman S? That's a silly claim.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 09:18 PM   #44
darkvaderr
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///1M View Post
Really? M3 doesn't hold a candle to Cayman S? That's a silly claim.
Driving the M3 was fun, but the Cayman S was on an entirely different level
Appreciate 0