BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-14-2018, 07:50 PM   #1
beattiecj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 2017 x5 35i 1988 e30

Braking on Track

Hi All,

Can someone help clarify how the braking system works on our 135s, specifically braking from high speed I.e 130 down to 70mph.

At first the brake pedal feel is decent, but then all of a sudden it takes on a new dimension and grabs super hard and actually slows the car down to make the turn... honestly it scares the hell out of me because the initial grab is half of what it is later. At all times I have full pressure on the pedal, but then it feels there is a clicking or threshold where it allows additional braking pressure and grab is twice the difference. It would give me confidence to brake deeper into turns knowing how to trigger a stronger grab at the start.

Is this a weird setting I'm not aware of? I've run several pads on the track and have felt the same thing, so in ruling out pads.

I'm running carbotech xp10s up from with all electric nannies coded off except e-diff.

Any suggestions? The best way to explain the sensation is like turbo lag it goes and it really goes.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 09:48 PM   #2
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by beattiecj View Post
Hi All,

Can someone help clarify how the braking system works on our 135s, specifically braking from high speed I.e 130 down to 70mph.

At first the brake pedal feel is decent, but then all of a sudden it takes on a new dimension and grabs super hard and actually slows the car down to make the turn... honestly it scares the hell out of me because the initial grab is half of what it is later. At all times I have full pressure on the pedal, but then it feels there is a clicking or threshold where it allows additional braking pressure and grab is twice the difference. It would give me confidence to brake deeper into turns knowing how to trigger a stronger grab at the start.

Is this a weird setting I'm not aware of? I've run several pads on the track and have felt the same thing, so in ruling out pads.

I'm running carbotech xp10s up from with all electric nannies coded off except e-diff.

Any suggestions? The best way to explain the sensation is like turbo lag it goes and it really goes.
Maybe your pads are getting overcooled before the heavy braking zones?

This happens to me sometimes in certain braking zones at specific tracks.
      05-15-2018, 03:16 AM   #3
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

have you coded off the nannies?

that sounds like the emergency braking assist cutting in.

(people often don't brake hard enough to avoid an accident, so if the car thinks you're in this situation it'll assist you by amplifying your pedal input)
Appreciate 3
1and11851.50
JCip9149.50
      05-15-2018, 06:09 PM   #4
beattiecj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 2017 x5 35i 1988 e30

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post

(people often don't brake hard enough to avoid an accident, so if the car thinks you're in this situation it'll assist you by amplifying your pedal input)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post

Thanks guys.

I had that coded off at least I thought. You make a good point, I'll have to double check.

spxxx it's a low braking track NJMP Lighting aside from turn 1 where it happens. It really does feel like a brake assist though.
Appreciate 0