BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-04-2018, 05:29 PM   #1
TJ135i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

135i to M3 steering rack...

Im stuck the M3 rack has a Electric connection missing and I'm not sure where to order one. I tried real OEM but its not listed as an individual part, I even went as far to remove the neck of the rack to swap them out...

any suggestions please and thank you!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 05:37 PM   #2
TJ135i
Enlisted Member
Rep

I think I found one, I just need a cap I dont really care if the valve works or not I just want faster steering with power assist..

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/32106788658/

Last edited by TJ135i; 06-04-2018 at 10:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 06:10 PM   #3
berns
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

The electric connection stays unplugged unless you want to get fancy.
The M3 rack has servotronic, which is assisted steering weight at low speeds, heavier at high, etc..

Your steering will be noticeably heavier with the new rack, but I don't mind it. I ran this rack in my E90 and run it in the 135i. Your biggest concern should be making sure the rack is 100% centered when reinstalled. The marks on there mean almost nothing.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2018, 08:25 PM   #4
TJ135i
Enlisted Member
Rep

The Steering rack I ordered didn't come with the servotronic Im not sure if that one is correct, I think this one will work better since it comes with hardware

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/32106788212/
Edit: I ordered the part above there is a 3 day wait plus shipping time so I wanted it processed sooner then later. Im fairly certain this is the part I need for the rack, I wish the M3 rack came with the servotrionc, no races for me this weekend, I was on the fence for Fontana Ca this weekend.. Ill go next month..

How do you center the rack? are there measurements I can take and use or what should I be looking for?
Edit: I youtubed how to center a rack it looks simple enough, just go lock to lock and place it in the center?

Last edited by TJ135i; 06-04-2018 at 09:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 01:04 PM   #5
TJ135i
Enlisted Member
Rep

situation update that servo is a bitch to find almost all my parts people have it on back order I think Ill get it on the 21st if I'm lucky I really wish I waited before pulling the stock rack out, just frustrating I hope its worth it.

I got shocks and springs from fortune auto delivered today!!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 10:43 PM   #6
TJ135i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Soon the servo finally came in today but I can't get the rack to go back home, the steering shaft is too long the steering shaft isn't collapsing to allow room for the rack,,

Is this supposed to collapse or is it a solid piece? any suggestions on how to get the steering shaft shorter? I can move the steering wheel in and out but that moves the entire shaft I can't find where it collapses at,,
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 09:50 AM   #7
amg6975
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 M1.5, '05 ZHP, '98 M3/4/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ135i View Post
Soon the servo finally came in today but I can't get the rack to go back home, the steering shaft is too long the steering shaft isn't collapsing to allow room for the rack,,

Is this supposed to collapse or is it a solid piece? any suggestions on how to get the steering shaft shorter? I can move the steering wheel in and out but that moves the entire shaft I can't find where it collapses at,,
It definitely collapses, might have to wiggle as you push.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 11:19 AM   #8
TJ135i
Enlisted Member
Rep

I figured it out, that shaft picture above is not collapsible, the part that collapses is in the dash just behind the firewall, it helps if you unlock the steering wheel to wiggle it all the way in.

I got it aligned and Its all good now, I think I need to more the shaft over one tooth to be on center. its just a hair off currently.

also I broke the clock spring, so none of the buttons work on the wheel. Be careful to make sure not to over spin the wheel as I did,
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 12:24 PM   #9
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
I figured it out, that shaft picture above is not collapsible, the part that collapses is in the dash just behind the firewall, it helps if you unlock the steering wheel to wiggle it all the way in.

I got it aligned and Its all good now, I think I need to more the shaft over one tooth to be on center. its just a hair off currently.

also I broke the clock spring, so none of the buttons work on the wheel. Be careful to make sure not to over spin the wheel as I did,
Steering wheel should NOT be off if they aligned the car. That would be fixed with toe adjustment.

If the steering rack was off "1 tooth" then you'd only noticed it in terms of full-lock to full-lock rotation count (after the alignment). Basically, you'd have slightly less steering input to hit full lock in one direction v.s. the other.

Take it back to the alignment shop and complain the wheel is off center. They should be locking it in place centered before doing the alignment...
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2018, 04:16 PM   #10
TJ135i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Steering wheel should NOT be off if they aligned the car. That would be fixed with toe adjustment.

If the steering rack was off "1 tooth" then you'd only noticed it in terms of full-lock to full-lock rotation count (after the alignment). Basically, you'd have slightly less steering input to hit full lock in one direction v.s. the other.

Take it back to the alignment shop and complain the wheel is off center. They should be locking it in place centered before doing the alignment...
Makes sense, Ill wait on messing with the rack.

I reused wheel spacers on the front wheels and the front now shakes, I'm going to try and fix that and a few other things before I send it back to the alignment shop.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 05:28 PM   #11
TJ135i
Enlisted Member
Rep

I took it back to the shop and its fixed now, right on center.

I almost want to say this mod was not worth it. Of course I did it by just guessing on a few things, It didnt help that I had to wait for the servo and I broke the clock spring.

I do like the mod the tighter steering is nice. Would I do it again, Maybe...

Has anyone hooked up the servo after the fact? Could I hook a 12v switch to the servo on the rack to make the steering lighter by pushing a switch? is that a thing?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 07:26 AM   #12
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I took it back to the shop and its fixed now, right on center.

I almost want to say this mod was not worth it. Of course I did it by just guessing on a few things, It didnt help that I had to wait for the servo and I broke the clock spring.

I do like the mod the tighter steering is nice. Would I do it again, Maybe...

Has anyone hooked up the servo after the fact? Could I hook a 12v switch to the servo on the rack to make the steering lighter by pushing a switch? is that a thing?
Not sure why you keep tryign to re-invent the wheel. Most peopel would've just bought a used M3 rack and avoided all the hands-on stuff you did... This is like a 60minute job and $250 later you have a significantly shorter steering ratio. It's a great mod.

As for the servo, do you really feel it's needed? You'll get used to the heavier feel. If you still really want it, there are multi threads out there that you need to read instead of going through it all over again here. It can be done with the right coding.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 07:43 AM   #13
3k1n
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Subaru Sti

For those of you that are running the m3 steering rack. Did you guys use the m3 tie rods as well or the 135i tie rods? Im wondering because i got mines installed with the 135i tie rods and the steering seems to have some slight play even after getting the car aligned. Not sure it makes a differece but i used the 1m alignment specs. Scratching my head here trying to figure out whats going on. Possibly incorrect install?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 07:44 AM   #14
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3k1n View Post
For those of you that are running the m3 steering rack. Did you guys use the m3 tie rods as well or the 135i tie rods? Im wondering because i got mines installed with the 135i tie rods and the steering seems to have some slight play even after getting the car aligned. Not sure it makes a differece but i used the 1m alignment specs. Scratching my head here trying to figure out whats going on. Possibly incorrect install?
Like, play in the steering wheel itself? My M3 rack seems to have play in it too. Not sure if they all do or not, but, BMW will tell you that anything <1/4" is normal.

M3 and 135i outer tie rods are essentially the same. The only difference is the length of the threads. Some people say that M3 outer tie rods are too long and they can't get toe in spec.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 09:16 PM   #15
amg6975
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 M1.5, '05 ZHP, '98 M3/4/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Like, play in the steering wheel itself? My M3 rack seems to have play in it too. Not sure if they all do or not, but, BMW will tell you that anything <1/4" is normal.

M3 and 135i outer tie rods are essentially the same. The only difference is the length of the threads. Some people say that M3 outer tie rods are too long and they can't get toe in spec.
Pretty sure it's the inners that are longer, no? The outters are the same. I used new 135 tie rods on my swap... My old ones were siezed solid, and the mint M3 ones that came with my rack were too long.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 05:49 AM   #16
Traf
First Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

In my case inner M3 tie rods were not usable, couldn't get the toe in spec.

As for your M3 rack, don't use the red ATF fluid. It is a ZF rack, specs say to use green CHF11S fluid.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 12:04 AM   #17
ajsmithvmi
Professional Hack
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

inner tie rods are not usable, had to swap to the 135i's inners.

Servotronic is not worth it. like bbnk2's said, one of the most straightfoward and beneficial mods you can do.
Appreciate 0