BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-05-2018, 02:12 PM   #67
MickeyPvX
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i MSport 7-Spd DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BYU View Post
How did the install go? My understanding is that Cobb fixed the fitment issues. Unfortunately, the revised charge pipe only comes in a matte black crinkle finish (which I wasn't in love with) instead of the gloss dark grey / anthracite finish they used to have. Hopefully the fitment was good.

I asked Cobb about the fitment issues and different finish options just a couple of weeks ago (late May 2018) and here's the response I received:

"I can assure you that the charge pipe will fit. There was a time in the past where we had a few bad pipes that had issues with the finish, thus customers were having fitment issues. We have since changed the finish on the pipe (crinkled black) and have not had any fitment issues so far. ...[T]his is the only finish we have available."
It wasn't nearly as bad of a time as others had. There are definitely some keys to success to save yourself some trouble:

- Make sure the pipe is all the way in the sleeve!! I used a smidge of silicone lube to get it to slide all the way on. I can easily see how people would have issues with the power steering hoses/alignment with the throttle body if it wasn't. If you line up the charge pipe without the sleeve you'll see how close it comes to the stock intercooler pipe without it. You don't have much room to mess with so get that sucker on there good.
- I deviated slightly from the installation instructions in that I attached the lower part to the intercooler pipe first, then maneuvered the other end onto the throttle body until it clipped in place.

I'm pleased with it so far after a few days of driving it around, I don't notice much of a difference, maybe a little bit better throttle response and sound? But this was a necessity repair rather than a performance boost. Here's what happened to the old one, and final install on the new:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50
      06-07-2018, 08:59 PM   #68
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

i recently replaced my charge pipe at 86k miles.

it wasn't broken---but there was a small crack on it on surface inspection so it was more precautionary to prevent a full break.

did an OEM replacement.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      06-17-2018, 03:34 PM   #69
kahuna001
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2005 Elise /2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahuna001 View Post
Found a cheap Ebay special for 99 USD. Too cheap to pass. Will update once it comes in.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Intak....c100227.m3827
Installed it today and it was pretty good fit. The only thing is the screws that came with the kit was a little too short. Reused the original screws. Also thread lock the Meth bung.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 02:27 PM   #70
sjw985
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M (BSM)

Mine blew up today on the way into work @38,400 miles... thankfully about 3 miles from the dealer, who is conveniently located between my home and my office. Still a ~$700-ish OEM repair.

As similarly experienced by others, it happened at a high RPM 1-2 shift getting onto the expressway. I heard a loud pop (windows open) and immediately backed off the throttle.... I thought I might have hit something.. scanned for lights/noises/vibrations, nothing... about 30 seconds later I thought, OK, all clear and stepped on the throttle in 6th. Whoops. No turbos makes a noticable difference in performance.

From reading the forum in the past I suspected something like this might be the issue... it seemed driveable but didn't want to take any unnecessary risks so I went right over to the dealer and was able to get a loaner. So I was late for work. :| Hopefully have the 1M back tonight.

Easier for me to have the dealer fix it now, but if it happens again I'll consider the aftermarket route. My car is otherwise 100% stock.

Appreciate the info on here, it comes in handy even though I'm an intermittent participant.
Appreciate 1
ayao627.50
      10-05-2019, 02:58 PM   #71
jteef
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3

Mine blew up this week at 23k miles. Mike at x-ph.com was able to overnight me the anodized ER pipe with oem DVs. Got it in the car this morning after about 2 hours of effort. Hardest part was getting the TMAP sensor unplugged because the sound generator thing was in the way of my fat hands... One thing i'm noticing now that I don't think I previously noticed is that under high power, I'm hearing a lot of air venting from up front. Is this normal or a boost leak where I likely didn't tighten something enough?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 02:29 AM   #72
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jteef View Post
Mine blew up this week at 23k miles. Mike at x-ph.com was able to overnight me the anodized ER pipe with oem DVs. Got it in the car this morning after about 2 hours of effort. Hardest part was getting the TMAP sensor unplugged because the sound generator thing was in the way of my fat hands... One thing i'm noticing now that I don't think I previously noticed is that under high power, I'm hearing a lot of air venting from up front. Is this normal or a boost leak where I likely didn't tighten something enough?
I would recheck all the connections, etc. It took me several tries to get the charge pipe solidly coupled to the intercooler. It has been a while but I do vaguely hearing more air movement than I expected and then finally popping the CP off at the intercooler under heavy boost.

The sound generator pipe on the stock CP is a really odd thing and takes up a TON of space in what is already a cramped engine bay. I would also agree with your comment about getting the sensor unplugged. I hate it.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 08:33 AM   #73
jteef
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
I would recheck all the connections, etc. It took me several tries to get the charge pipe solidly coupled to the intercooler. It has been a while but I do vaguely hearing more air movement than I expected and then finally popping the CP off at the intercooler under heavy boost.

The sound generator pipe on the stock CP is a really odd thing and takes up a TON of space in what is already a cramped engine bay. I would also agree with your comment about getting the sensor unplugged. I hate it.
Well, pulled it out and put it back together, no more air noises while in boost and more go. One of the diverters was clamped tight, but wasn't fully seated in the silicone, so I'll chalk it up to that.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 08:43 AM   #74
RicardoG
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: 2012 1M coupe

Mine finally blew up after all these years. Charge pipe failed diring a 1-2 shift as many cases stated.
Installed Burger Motorsports aluminum charge pipe. All went well.
Car feels more responsive after install.
Appreciate 0