BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-19-2022, 03:17 PM   #1
TheLittleOne
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 135i

CSF Intercooler Review (Update)

So in doing my research for intercoolers I have found the CSF one to probably be the best for the money. I've seen multiple people go from intercoolers as big as the 7.5 VRSF one downside to this 5.5 inch CSF one. But lets not argue about which one is which because honestly there all pretty good at the end of the day.
I know that there is a good amount of cutting involved and I honestly don't mind cutting up the front plastic.
The one thing I am worried about is fitting on the belly pan once I get the intercooler in the car.
Does anyone have any pictures of the CSF in their 1er? and have any of you had issues with getting the belly pan back on. How did you get around this?
I also get how there are a lot of writeups on the fitment of these intercoolers but I haven't read anything on the belly pan fitment
Any help would be great as I am super willing to make this damn intercooler fit in this little car.
Thank you

(Update 1/26/2022)

So I just decided to send it and I ordered the CSF intercooler off of FCP waited for it to come in. Got it in got the car up in the air and was dismantling it and preparing for install. Once I got the stock intercooler out I start prepping and getting an Idea for what I had to cut. I trimmed the main piece (2 straight pieces that connection the lower section to the upper). The two pieces on the lower grill that stick out. Then I started trimming the sides. You'll get a general sense of what needs to be cut when looking at it from above. I mistakenly didn't take any photos but if I take it off ill update the thread to make it more instructive. You will also need to cut out the ambient air temperature sensor mounting point. There is a hole just forward of where this mounting point is. Once you remove the sensor and cut the mounting point widen out the forward hole and use that to hold the sensor. Once everything is trimming its time to install the intercooler. It may take one or two tries but you'll know when its in and nothing else needs to be trimmed. Once its in bolt it up and start putting on the belly pan. YES THE BELLY PAN DID FIT BACK ON THE CAR. There is one little screw bracket on the belly pan that needs to be flattened or cut super simple (it'll just hit the intercooler if not dealt with) After this just bolt everything back up and you'll be good to go.
Removing the radiator fan makes this job easier
Hope this helps anyone with this install

I highly recommend the CSF to anyone looking for an aftermarket solution. There are multiple data logs showing IATs dropping through a 3rd gear pull. And if your on the fence about cutting/trimming, I was too I thought it was taboo to take a multitool saw cutter to my relatively low mileage 1er but I think its definitely worth. And will further update on my findings.

First drive Impressions.
The car defiantly feels more consistent and more eager to get up and go.

Last edited by TheLittleOne; 01-27-2022 at 03:32 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2022, 09:05 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Here is a thread with pictures showing how exactly it will fit on a 1 series

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1655101

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 11:33 AM   #3
TheLittleOne
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Here is a thread with pictures showing how exactly it will fit on a 1 series

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1655101
Yeah Ive seen this post before but the guy is running an aftermarket splitter and shows no photos of his setup and doesn't give a clear answer on what modifications would need to be made inorder to get the belly pan back on
Appreciate 0