BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-19-2022, 11:58 PM   #1
Clayn5x
Rep
Drives: 2011 35i dct, 2007 fbo 335i

Angry Problems starting after new engine

hey guys, a couple of months back I bought a 135i convertible with a dct with only 90k miles. I knowingly bought it knowing it had a bad engine( turns out the rod bearing on cylinder one had spun and sent the rod through the bottom of the block). After about a month or two of gathering all the maintenance items for the new engine for the car and the trans, I threw it back in the car and have been having issues trying to start the car ever since( who would've guessed lol). At first, I thought something was unplugged or a fuse had gone bad. But after hours of check9ing my wiring and checking every fuse in the car. I found nothing wrong, Still assuming it was an electrical problem as the starter would engage but seemed to not have enough power to turn over. Finally realized the transmission wasn't properly grounded which removed most of the error codes on the car.
The error codes currently:

a0b4-error engine starter operation
a0c1-driver kl50l

Doing some research on the forums people were saying it was either my starter or battery. I tested the starter and it seems to be completely fine but I ended up having a spare starter and threw it in with no change. Now this whole time I've been using jumper cables to give power to the car and start it. But could the uncharged battery really cause the car to not even try to start. Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 07:12 PM   #2
Afam28
User
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayn5x View Post
hey guys, a couple of months back I bought a 135i convertible with a dct with only 90k miles. I knowingly bought it knowing it had a bad engine( turns out the rod bearing on cylinder one had spun and sent the rod through the bottom of the block). After about a month or two of gathering all the maintenance items for the new engine for the car and the trans, I threw it back in the car and have been having issues trying to start the car ever since( who would've guessed lol). At first, I thought something was unplugged or a fuse had gone bad. But after hours of check9ing my wiring and checking every fuse in the car. I found nothing wrong, Still assuming it was an electrical problem as the starter would engage but seemed to not have enough power to turn over. Finally realized the transmission wasn't properly grounded which removed most of the error codes on the car.
The error codes currently:

a0b4-error engine starter operation
a0c1-driver kl50l

Doing some research on the forums people were saying it was either my starter or battery. I tested the starter and it seems to be completely fine but I ended up having a spare starter and threw it in with no change. Now this whole time I've been using jumper cables to give power to the car and start it. But could the uncharged battery really cause the car to not even try to start. Any help would be appreciated.
Are you asking if an uncharged battery will not allow a car to start?
Also, is this the original battery? Do you know if it is/was coded to the car?
From what I read, bmw batteries and the systems they power need to be on the same page or all types of nonsense will happen!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 06:06 PM   #3
Aceway
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i / F25 28i

If battery is at completely 0 then jumper cables wouldn't work well. I would try jumper pack or revive the old battery with charger.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 05:23 PM   #4
Tyc0
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 335i

I doubt the car would start with a completely dead battery if you were trying to jump it in the engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 07:59 PM   #5
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

So, in the last sentence, are you saying it can start and has been started?

Then yeah, I'd get a new battery, could have died while you were doing the work. Or been drained dead by something during that time.

Not sure about starting the car w/ jumper cables and a totally dead battery... I'd say it just needs to make the connection but - maybe not, or even if it does make a connection, maybe it's a weak one? Either way - replace the battery or at least be 100% sure it's charged.
Appreciate 0