BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-03-2022, 10:38 AM   #1
DWN-N-OUT
Enlisted Member
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

Fueling Issues? Plugs Again?

So first a little back story on the issue and car/mods, last summer I was having a misfire issue under WOT and full boost. At the time I was FBO running JB4 w/ a BEF and 92 oct. The codes that I pulled from that issue were:

-36BE I've had this constantly since the JB4 install
-2EFE Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
-2FO3 Combustion misfire, cylinder 5
-2EE0 Combustion misfiring. several cylinders: Fuel injection deactivation
-2EE4 Combustion misfiring, cylinder 1
-2EF1 Combustion misfiring, cylinder 5: Fuel injection deactivation

I replaced all the plugs with NGK 97506 gapped to .022" and upgraded to Precision Raceworks N55 ignition kit, cleared the codes, reflashed for the coils, and proceeded to drive it without issue for the rest of the summer until I parked it for the winter.

Fast forward to this week and I decided to drive it again because we've had some decent weather and I've missed driving it. On my way home from work I go to try and pass someone, jump on it and instant misfire. I pull over read the codes and only get a 2FB3 (Ignition, cylinder 1: Combustion period outside tolerance), I clear that go to pull back out onto the highway and immediately misfire again and go into limp mode this time under partial throttle, I pull over again read the codes and get:

-2FB3 Ignition, cylinder 1: Combustion period outside tolerance
-2EFE Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
-2EFF Combustion misfire, cylinder 1
-2EE0 Combustion misfiring. several cylinders: Fuel injection deactivation
-2EE4 Combustion misfiring, cylinder 1

I was also logging when I pulled back onto the highway and I'll attach that. I guess my question is: Can this be plugs or coils again seeing as they are new (under 1k miles) or is this a fueling issue (hpfp, injectors) or could it be something else I'm not considering?

Edit: The log won't upload because it's a csv

Last edited by DWN-N-OUT; 02-03-2022 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 12:12 PM   #2
turbo v6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i N55, 230i

Do you have this issue in JB4 "stock" mode?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 01:21 PM   #3
DWN-N-OUT
Enlisted Member
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

I honestly didn't even think to try switching maps, I limped it home and parked it for the week. I swapped the coils and leads on cylinder 1 and 2 that weekend and it went away so I'm assuming it was a loose connection somewhere that I missed.
Appreciate 0