E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > M-Sport and steering wheel buttons

02-18-2006, 02:22 PM   #1
bk8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M-Sport

Question M-Sport and steering wheel buttons

Hey all! Like a lot of people waiting for their cars I've been reading up on all things E90.

For those of you with a UK M-Sport model without iDrive what do the 2 programmeable buttons on the steering wheel do? And are they still programmeable?

I'm hoping they default to the standard wheel's air recirculation and audio source functions if I can't change them.
      02-18-2006, 03:43 PM   #2
Gronk
Rep
Drives: E90 M Sport

I'm not sure which the 2 programmable buttons are but on my sport I have 2 buttions which do the exact functions you describe.

Lord knows why BMW would think anyone would need a air recirculation buttin on the S/W though. I'm sure I could think of something better.....although I'm struggling now I've put myself on the spot!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2006, 04:09 PM   #3
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronk
Lord knows why BMW would think anyone would need a air recirculation buttin on the S/W though. I'm sure I could think of something better.....although I'm struggling now I've put myself on the spot!
Obviously you dont have many old diesel trucks or cars with bad rings that suddenly appear infront of you on the road belching out huge plumes of stinky smoke that require you to quickly put the system on circulation. You can then also put it back to fresh air as you accelerate away from them when they get out the way - all without taking your hands off the wheel.

Another one is smoke from grass fires ( wild grass not the stuff you have at your home ). You need to very quickly get the car into circulation mode before you hit the cloud, or your car will stink for quite a while)

Must be one of the most used (by me) buttons on any BMW ive driven.

( the auto system doesnt work nearly as well as you can, especially with sudden cluods of smoke that last for short periods )
      02-18-2006, 04:23 PM   #4
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
Obviously you dont have many old diesel trucks or cars with bad rings that suddenly appear infront of you on the road belching out huge plumes of stinky smoke that require you to quickly put the system on circulation. You can then also put it back to fresh air as you accelerate away from them when they get out the way - all without taking your hands off the wheel.

Another one is smoke from grass fires ( wild grass not the stuff you have at your home ). You need to very quickly get the car into circulation mode before you hit the cloud, or your car will stink for quite a while)

Must be one of the most used (by me) buttons on any BMW ive driven.

( the auto system doesnt work nearly as well as you can, especially with sudden cluods of smoke that last for short periods )

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2006, 04:58 PM   #5
tctic
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Yes, you don't get two programmable buttons. You get the default "Air Circulation" and "Audio Source Toggle" button. But you still get the "Phone" and "Voice Control" button, which is useless.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2006, 05:17 PM   #6
Arkansas3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
what have some of the people with idrive done with their programmable button?
      02-18-2006, 05:46 PM   #7
Kamando
Captain
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas3
what have some of the people with idrive done with their programmable button?
Phone list and Mute
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 02:21 AM   #8
bk8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M-Sport

Great - my wife asked me what the buttons would do so at least I can tell her they're not all going to be useless!
      02-19-2006, 11:09 AM   #9
Arkansas3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I like the mute idea, and I think another good use would be a button that controls the A/C. On my old Honda, I used to call the A/C button my Turbo button. Shutting it off was like hitting the turbo switch.

It's been too cold around here (my car is sitting under 6 inches of snow and ice right now) to even try out the A/C but hopefully I won't need any extra power on the highway anymore...
      02-19-2006, 02:18 PM   #10
DriverPerformance
Rep
Drives: E90 MSport

Garage List
2005 320d M Sport  [0.00]
2005 320d SE  [0.00]
I find the voice control frustrating (but I probably haven't given it enough time) I personally use the phone button a lot on mine as it redials the last number that you called, which saves you from having to use the varous stereo control buttons to do the same job as the single button on the wheel. Obviously handy for answering calls also....................
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 05:06 PM   #11
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Top button: iDrive screen off/on
Bottom Button: Air recirculation on/off
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0