BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-28-2015, 12:33 PM   #67
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Interested in what Harold has to say, but..

I wonder if there's a collar you could put on the damper immediately under the tab to effectively raise it in the knuckle without having to weld.
That is an excellent approach, and reversible too. My understanding is that there is no much load on this "keyed" tab, so this could definitely work!
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 12:43 PM   #68
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
If his front end is lighter, wouldn't that mean he would have less rake since the front would be sitting higher?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
I have the Spec-R/Koni/Dinan combo on my 128i and from the center of the roundel to the wheel arch I measure 325mm front and 322mm rear, so <1/8 inch negative rake but not really noticeable. Measured at the rocker panels the car still has a substantial positive rake, but I don't recall the number. The wheel gap is pretty darn even.

This was very much in line with what I calculated the drop to be before the install, taking in to consideration the weights and distribution of weight published by BMW and not accounting for any equipment differences.

During the install I used all new parts including the rubber isolators and upper strut mounts (guide, support), and I installed 1M/M3 camber arms at the same time. Not sure how all that may have effected my results.
I just got the negative and positive mixed up. LOL his front sits higher because the springs are meant for the 135i (from what i understand), and thus more weight up front producing the rake on the 135i vs 128i. That said, he also has the camber plates which lifts the front end up more as well.

Rather than addressing the lower part of the strut why not put a plate on the upper mount? Similar to a Dinan camber plate but with the other studs knocked out? Or perhaps a hub centric spacer ( obviously not on the hub but rather where the strut mounts to the frame/strut tower) milled to the correct spec and drilled? seems like it could be an easy option, but maybe its more difficult...
You'll never regret pursuing what you really want....ever. You will, however, regret NOT doing things you wanted to do.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 12:44 PM   #69
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
Just want to avoid welding a stop or keyed tab on the strut housing to avoid damage. What would be appropriate to use as a "collar" to tighten around the strut tube?

Sorry for the newbie question but would some sort of spring spacer or helper spring be another viable approach?
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #70
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post
Just want to avoid welding a stop or keyed tab on the strut housing to avoid damage. What would be appropriate to use as a "collar" to tighten around the strut tube?

Sorry for the newbie question but would some sort of spring spacer or helper spring be another viable approach?
Spring spacer might work, but where would you put it?

Putting a spacer on the top of the top hat/camber plate as mentioned above would work for sure. Need longer bolts to do that though.
      04-28-2015, 01:11 PM   #71
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Spring spacer might work, but where would you put it?

Putting a spacer on the top of the top hat/camber plate as mentioned above would work for sure. Need longer bolts to do that though.
Do you think that a set of Turner Front Strut Tower Reinforcement Plates may help, piggy-backed with camber plates? These are mounted on the underside of the strut tower and need to be welded into place. Probably not thick enough to provide significant height though. I sent Turner Motorsports this question as well, and will report back with their comments.

Here's the part : http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-27...ates-pair.aspx

Edit: I got the response from Turner Motorsports: "These will not raise it any noticeable amount. They are the thickness of the factory sheet metal currently on your strut tower now..."

Last edited by dcaron9999; 04-28-2015 at 08:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 01:31 PM   #72
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Do you think that a set of Turner Front Strut Tower Reinforcement Plates may help, piggy-backed with camber plates? These are mounted on the underside of the strut tower and need to be welded into place. Probably not thick enough to provide significant height though. I sent Turner Motorsports this question as well.

Here's the part : http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-27...ates-pair.aspx
Looks like that will only get you maybe 3-5mm closer to your goal. Not worth it IMO.
      04-30-2015, 04:31 PM   #73
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
I was reading one of fe1rx's suspension threads and realized that I never loosened and retightened a couple of the suspensions pieces that have bushings. Mainly, the both sides of the rear trailing arm and the wheel carrier side of the toe arms. could this be contributing to the slightly higher rear ride height since the bushings are still set at the stock ride height?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 04:47 PM   #74
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I was reading one of fe1rx's suspension threads and realized that I never loosened and retightened a couple of the suspensions pieces that have bushings. Mainly, the both sides of the rear trailing arm and the wheel carrier side of the toe arms. could this be contributing to the slightly higher rear ride height since the bushings are still set at the stock ride height?
Im hoping the speed shop that installed the springs+dampers, and also did the alignment would have tightened everything to spec while suspension was loaded with car weight.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 05:55 PM   #75
houtan
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Quote:
Im hoping the speed shop that installed the springs+dampers, and also did the alignment would have tightened everything to spec while suspension was loaded with car weight.
its possible. I can tell you that the ECS youtube video I used as a reference point didn't talk about loosening the trailing arm bolts or toe arm bolts. Only says to loosen the lower camber arm bolt to get the spring out, and a lot of people don't do that and force it down instead.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 04:13 PM   #76
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
That is an excellent approach, and reversible too. My understanding is that there is no much load on this "keyed" tab, so this could definitely work!
Yes, that is correct. The load isn't on the locating tab, but raising the strut body too much from the knuckle may not capture enough of the strut so measure everything carefully.

I do recall when AST first came out there were issues with the stop being engineered in the wrong location so a 10-15mm spacer ring had to added to get the desired ride height(spring perch maxed out and the car is still too low).
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 09:08 PM   #77
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Yes, that is correct. The load isn't on the locating tab, but raising the strut body too much from the knuckle may not capture enough of the strut so measure everything carefully.

I do recall when AST first came out there were issues with the stop being engineered in the wrong location so a 10-15mm spacer ring had to added to get the desired ride height(spring perch maxed out and the car is still too low).
Were these rings generic or custom tailored to a specific strut tube? Where can these be purchased?

Do you think the Dinan Rear Shock Mounts in the rear could contribute to the higher stack height, and 20mm rake I wound up with (Dinan product page claims that the Ride-height is not affected)? Here's a reminder of my combo: Swift Spec-R springs/Bilstein B8/Ground Control Street camber plates/ Dinan rear shock mounts.

Last edited by dcaron9999; 05-04-2015 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 11:43 PM   #78
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Were these rings generic or custom tailored to a specific strut tube? Where can these be purchased?

Do you think the Dinan Rear Shock Mounts in the rear could contribute to the higher stack height, and 20mm rake I wound up with (Dinan product page claims that the Ride-height is not affected)? Here's a reminder of my combo: Swift Spec-R springs/Bilstein B8/Ground Control Street camber plates/ Dinan rear shock mounts.
They were made for the AST strut.

No, since the rear is a none coilover setup, the Dinan shock mounts will not affect ride height in anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 08:20 AM   #79
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep

Finally settled on a spacer between camber plates and shock tower.

On my Ground Control Street camber plates, Im getting the bolt plate modified with longer bolts, and an aluminium keyed 22mm spacer to sit on stop of GC camber plate.

Should bring the front height more in line with the rear height. Should remove slight rubbing with my new 255/35R18 Dunlop Direzza ZII StarSpecs in the front, when hitting moderate bumps. I hadno rubbing with my previous ZII's that were passed the wear bar (less tread = smaller diameter tire).
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 08:55 AM   #80
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:

On my Ground Control Street camber plates, Im getting the bolt plate modified with longer bolts, and an aluminium keyed 22mm spacer to sit on stop of GC camber plate.

Should bring the front height more in line with the rear height. Should remove slight rubbing with my new 255/35R18 Dunlop Direzza ZII StarSpecs in the front, when hitting moderate bumps. I hadno rubbing with my previous ZII's that were passed the wear bar (less tread = smaller diameter tire).
Are you having a shop machine your a spacer?

Also on another note, I just got my Dinan rear shock mounts in the mail. I'll let you know how they change things up. Should be installing them tomorrow assuming the weather forecast holds up.
      05-08-2015, 09:08 AM   #81
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Are you having a shop machine your a spacer?

Also on another note, I just got my Dinan rear shock mounts in the mail. I'll let you know how they change things up. Should be installing them tomorrow assuming the weather forecast holds up.
I have the Dinan Rear Shock mounts as well. They do not impact ride height.

fe1rx has offered to help me, and will "machine" the spacers and bolt plates. Very professional and nice dude to deal with.
Looking forward to having these installed on my 135i. Im hitting the Tremblant track in 3 days, and will not have these on the car in that timeframe unfortunately. Just hoping I dont chew up my fresh front ZII-SS 255/35R18 tires.

Love the fresh ZII-SS's to death so far. Bump steer is greatly reduced as the worn ZII's I replaced had rounded edges. Old ZII's have been bullet proof though, and still performed well on wet pavement, even if they were beyond the wear bars, and one tire had survived to an incident leading to a destroyed wheel (indi shop technician goof up).

Last edited by dcaron9999; 05-08-2015 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 09:11 AM   #82
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
I have the Dinan Rear Shock mounts as well. They do not impact ride height.
Oh for some reason I thought you were contemplating getting them. Glad to hear they don't impact ride height but that wouldn't matter (to me) even if they did as I'm after their performance benefits.

When I unboxed them I was blown away with the design. Such a small thing but makes so much more sense than the original mounts.
      05-08-2015, 09:43 AM   #83
houtan
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Quote:

Just a thought, but wouldn't you want to loosen and re-torque the rear suspension bolts that should be tightened at ride height to confirm the bushings are not contributing to the ride height at the rear of the car before your determine the thickness of the spacer?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 09:46 AM   #84
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Just a thought, but wouldn't you want to loosen and re-torque the rear suspension bolts that should be tightened at ride height to confirm the bushings are not contributing to the ride height at the rear of the car before your determine the thickness of the spacer?
I confirmed with the shop that this was done, and they also did the alignment, so made sure car was squatted down first.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 09:59 AM   #85
houtan
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
awesome.

Not sure what I should do. I installed the m3 rear upper arm and guide rod at the same time as my suspension install. So the bolts for the rear upper arm, guide rod, and lower camber arm were torqued at ride height. I did not loosen the bolts for the rear trailing arm and toe arm. Although, at least one of the toe arm bolts was loosened when the alignment was done.

you guys think I should go back and loosen all the bolts with bushings and re-torque at ride height? only reason why I am hesitant is I have to drop another $100 for an alignment if I do it, which sucks, but I can only blame myself lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 11:47 AM   #86
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Vorshlag plates typically have longer studs on them to accommodate a thicker top ring or an additional one. However, we are only talking about 5-10 mm here.
Appreciate 0