BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-19-2016, 12:33 PM   #1
spoolinE82
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i XDRIVE thundernight

Headlights Help!!

Hello so i drove through a carwash yesterday and soon as i pulled out , on came the adaptive headlight warning and my driver light is out i have extended warranty but only engine and drive train so... i did my research of course and found out i obviously fried the control module for the AHL .... and after buying a new d1s bulb and also getting low beam error ive also come to the conclusion i fried my igniter/ballast ...i do not want to deal with a stealership i will he fixing myself and i honestly dont mind having the warning on for a few months until i replace the control module and get it coded at a bmw shop here in las vegas.....but i do need to drive to work and need headlights....ive researched replacing factory ballast and hid with after market... ive found a few post from quite a few years back and they all said they had issues using aftermarket some people where using ddmtuning bulbs and ballast with capacitors.. some would use ds2 bulbs some h7 . my question is after all these years has someone come up with a true plug and play kit?.....i cant seem to find anything specifically saying it will not need capacitors etc.

I need the easiest fastest way so i can order and plug up when they arrive.

So can anyone please help point me in the right direction
Tell me which kit and what bulb type to purchase ... and where from ...
If i do need to wire capacitors can someone point me to a write up its been a while since my audio install days and playing with capacitors.

Sorry im sure this has been posted but like i said ive been searching for hours on end and only found post dated from 2008 to 2012 ......
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 02:01 PM   #2
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

I believe that the footwell module needs to be replaced and coded before it can send a voltage signal to ignite the bulb again. With that said theretrofitsource.com will be able to help immensely with what you need to get an almost plug-n-play solution.
      06-19-2016, 05:19 PM   #3
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

You need to replace the ALC box and ballast. That's #14 and 17 in the diagram below. On my 128 I was able to access them by going through the inner fenderwell instead of removing the front bumper. I got my parts on ebay for less than shown here, just make sure they are OEM. Make sure you know what you are doing. A new headlight is really expensive.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 03:03 PM   #4
spoolinE82
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichd View Post
You need to replace the ALC box and ballast. That's #14 and 17 in the diagram below. On my 128 I was able to access them by going through the inner fenderwell instead of removing the front bumper. I got my parts on ebay for less than shown here, just make sure they are OEM. Make sure you know what you are doing. A new headlight is really expensive.
Thank you for this. !! When you did this did it also fix your adaptive headlight warning or dod it just bring your light back on... also for alc box do i have to get it coded?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 03:05 PM   #5
spoolinE82
Enlisted Member
Rep

And as far as just a aftermarket solution os there any you know of ?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 03:11 PM   #6
spoolinE82
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post
I believe that the footwell module needs to be replaced and coded before it can send a voltage signal to ignite the bulb again. With that said theretrofitsource.com will be able to help immensely with what you need to get an almost plug-n-play solution.
So if i order a kit from these guys will it power on the headlight? I know the adaptive will not work. . But would i at least get the headlight back on? I can fix the adaptive headlight in few weeks, but for now driving at night and not getting a ticket would be nice plus i do want to change to pure white lights anyways.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 04:44 PM   #7
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoolinE82 View Post
Thank you for this. !! When you did this did it also fix your adaptive headlight warning or dod it just bring your light back on... also for alc box do i have to get it coded?
It fixed the adaptive headlight warning and the lights worked again. I have not had the coding done yet. Until I do I am using just the ON setting for my headlights not the adaptive.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 01:32 AM   #8
spoolinE82
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichd View Post
It fixed the adaptive headlight warning and the lights worked again. I have not had the coding done yet. Until I do I am using just the ON setting for my headlights not the adaptive.
Cool i can gather the parts for 300 bucks or so and install myself ill probably order this friday! ... did you purchase a new or used control box if used since it would have been coded for another car , did it cause any other issues other then the ahl not working until coded?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 04:30 AM   #9
faboR6
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

I have the same exact problem as you and had this problem for over a year. I don't usually drive at night. I've replaced the ballast, control module and everything possible on this car and still no light. I was however told by a BMW Tech that my problem might be the footwell module not sending any power to the headlight.
Appreciate 0