BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-16-2019, 08:05 AM   #1
HeavyComponent
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

135i M Tech??

I’m hearing theirs a 135i M Tech. What does that mean? Which have different bumpers. Is this the same as a M Sport/Package? They all look the same to me besides the actual M.

Also some M Sport/Packages don’t come with badge wheels? I saw one with the steering wheel but not the wheels.

I’m sure these questions were answered before but I did a search on it and couldn’t find a specific answer.

I’m new to 1 series. Buying one soon so this is why I have so many questions.

Thanks guys! Heard this is a great community.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 08:31 AM   #2
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

There is a good sticky above the new thread listing talking about sport versus M-sport. Both sport and M-sport will give you new wheels but that doesn't prevent you from ordering other wheels or changing them after you get the car.

I got the sport package for my e88 when I ordered it in 2009 but not the m-sport. So I got different wheels that are a little wider and 17 inch instead of the 16 inch some of the 1 series got and my car sits a bit lower and the speed governor is supposed to be set at 155mph. I've never tested this. I also have the sport seats with the adjustable side bolsters, even though my seats are manual. The sport seats are a big deal IMHO and come with either package. M-sport would have just added a different steering wheel and some other M-badging.

For me, sport was fine. I didn't need M badges. It's a bit of a controversial subject whether M badges are appropriate on non-M cars. Most are OK if BMW puts them on there but not OK if the owner does. But some don't think it's appropriate even if BMW does it. It may not mean much. But it should mean it at least has a slightly different suspension, wheels, and tires.
      07-16-2019, 08:43 AM   #3
HeavyComponent
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Thanks for the reply. I’ll look into that thread.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 01:48 PM   #4
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
There is a good sticky above the new thread listing talking about sport versus M-sport. Both sport and M-sport will give you new wheels but that doesn't prevent you from ordering other wheels or changing them after you get the car.

I got the sport package for my e88 when I ordered it in 2009 but not the m-sport. So I got different wheels that are a little wider and 17 inch instead of the 16 inch some of the 1 series got and my car sits a bit lower and the speed governor is supposed to be set at 155mph. I've never tested this. I also have the sport seats with the adjustable side bolsters, even though my seats are manual. The sport seats are a big deal IMHO and come with either package. M-sport would have just added a different steering wheel and some other M-badging.

For me, sport was fine. I didn't need M badges. It's a bit of a controversial subject whether M badges are appropriate on non-M cars. Most are OK if BMW puts them on there but not OK if the owner does. But some don't think it's appropriate even if BMW does it. It may not mean much. But it should mean it at least has a slightly different suspension, wheels, and tires.
Yeah, the steering wheel and anthracite headliner are probably the two best things about the M-Sport package.

As for whether M badges belong, here's a fun BMW fact. Before the first M3, there was another BMW with M badges that was simply a 535i with an options package: the E28 M535i. BMW has been doing this a long time.

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 02:22 PM   #5
mfindigital
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Those old BMW Fender Flares are so elegant.
M Badges on non-m cars, regardless of who put it on, are super lame to me. Simple marketing department exercise to make non-special cars feel special and to bump the price up. BMW seems to be the leading manufacturer in this type of badging exercise.
      07-16-2019, 02:39 PM   #6
duder13
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfindigital View Post
Those old BMW Fender Flares are so elegant.
M Badges on non-m cars, regardless of who put it on, are super lame to me. Simple marketing department exercise to make non-special cars feel special and to bump the price up. BMW seems to be the leading manufacturer in this type of badging exercise.
I don't know, the whole M thing itself is marketing, since most M cars since the original M3 weren't for homologation purposes. I mean, even the great 1M and M2 (before the Comp) didn't have the official M-division engines. I'm ok with whatever BMW decides is the appropriate badging, although I tend to debadge, myself. I think most of us can agree that buyers adding M badging to non-M cars is pretty bad, though.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8208.00
      07-18-2019, 03:06 PM   #7
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

At one time, my understanding is that M cars were built in a separate facility and had different engines than other BMWs. But I also think the e46 M3 is the last to have a different engine. Now it is just a different tune, maybe a few different parts. I've been looking at the X2, for instance, and there is a M spec or something (not sure of the nomenclature) that puts out >300hp on a 2 liter 4 cylinder. It had different rods, if I remember right, but is basically the same engine as the 240hp models.

I am not going to second guess what BMW does with badging. But what they are doing diminishes the M branding. But it is apparently working for them. I also debadged my car and might even if it had M badges. Most people don't know what they mean anyway.
      07-18-2019, 07:37 PM   #8
duder13
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
At one time, my understanding is that M cars were built in a separate facility and had different engines than other BMWs. But I also think the e46 M3 is the last to have a different engine. Now it is just a different tune, maybe a few different parts. I've been looking at the X2, for instance, and there is a M spec or something (not sure of the nomenclature) that puts out >300hp on a 2 liter 4 cylinder. It had different rods, if I remember right, but is basically the same engine as the 240hp models.

I am not going to second guess what BMW does with badging. But what they are doing diminishes the M branding. But it is apparently working for them. I also debadged my car and might even if it had M badges. Most people don't know what they mean anyway.
All M cars that I can think of, outside of the 1M and M2 (non-Competition model,) have M-specific engines, and the 1M and M2 engines have a few things different compared to the regular version of the engines.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 12:47 PM   #9
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
The engine in the 1M and non-comp M2 are the same N54 and N55 found in the E87 & F22, only difference is software and things outside of the engine (exhaust, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
All M cars that I can think of, outside of the 1M and M2 (non-Competition model,) have M-specific engines, and the 1M and M2 engines have a few things different compared to the regular version of the engines.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 02:25 PM   #10
duder13
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
The engine in the 1M and non-comp M2 are the same N54 and N55 found in the E87 & F22, only difference is software and things outside of the engine (exhaust, etc).
Yeah, nearly all the differences of the 1M are external to the engine, like the intake, but the piston rings were a new design.

In the M2's N55, there were many more upgrades vs. a stock N55:

- forged crankshaft and connecting rods
- newer piston rings
- reshaped oil pan, new oil drain pump, redesigned intake
- cast-iron cylinder liners (replaced spray on)

Overall, the M2's N55 is a more durable engine, meant to take more of a beating vs. the regular N55.
Appreciate 0