BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-18-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
dtafff
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 135i

Has anyone rolled their fenders?

After a wheel switch I'm experiencing rubbing on my 135. Has anyone rolled their fenders and what does it due to my warranty? Please help thanks !
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #2
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Lol, you posted this int he 1M section by accident.

But my fenders are rolled and pulled. It really shouldn't affect any warranty unless you have some sort of paint/cosmetic warranty and whoever does your fenders messes up the paint. If you do it yourself carefully using a rented roller, or if you pay someone experienced who doesn't rush, then it shouldn't be an issue at all.

Either way, this is more of an issue with pulling than rolling. With rolling, you're only flattening the inside edges of the fender and making it very thin so you get more clearance. You can't really mess anything up, warranty-wise except the paint if you push the fender out as you roll it and don't heat the paint.

Pulling is when you actually, purposefully extend the flare of the fender arch to get more room. You can get a little bit of this effect when rolling the fenders because the fender roller is pushing out (as opposed to pulling out) on the fenders as it rolls them. Again, neither of them should affect any warranty, unless you have some sort of paint or clearcoat warranty and you pull your fenders without heating the paint and it cracks. I posted a fender pulling DIY in the DIY section of the main 1addicts forum if you're interested.

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
dtafff
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
Lol, you posted this int he 1M section by accident.

But my fenders are rolled and pulled. It really shouldn't affect any warranty unless you have some sort of paint/cosmetic warranty and whoever does your fenders messes up the paint. If you do it yourself carefully using a rented roller, or if you pay someone experienced who doesn't rush, then it shouldn't be an issue at all.

Either way, this is more of an issue with pulling than rolling. With rolling, you're only flattening the inside edges of the fender and making it very thin so you get more clearance. You can't really mess anything up, warranty-wise except the paint if you push the fender out as you roll it and don't heat the paint.

Pulling is when you actually, purposefully extend the flare of the fender arch to get more room. You can get a little bit of this effect when rolling the fenders because the fender roller is pushing out (as opposed to pulling out) on the fenders as it rolls them. Again, neither of them should affect any warranty, unless you have some sort of paint or clearcoat warranty and you pull your fenders without heating the paint and it cracks. I posted a fender pulling DIY in the DIY section of the main 1addicts forum if you're interested.
Well that explains why all I'm seeing is 1m stuff haha. But will pulling them out eliminate my rubbing? Now that I've put on a much more aggressive tire along with a little more wheel width if I turn slightly sharp or go over a bump, I rub in the rear. I'm trying to figure out what I should do without continuing to rub further and further and risk damaging the wheel well to the point of a problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
shemeld_135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 SO - M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829472

i just recently had them rolled but no issues..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
dtafff
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemeld_135 View Post
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829472

i just recently had them rolled but no issues..
Could you please tell me how much more room you created? Because i really need more width and height. As of now I have the wheels mounted with some rubbing but i had bought springs a while ago and am waiting to put them on but first i need to make sure i stop rubbing at stock height and even after i lower it.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
shemeld_135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 SO - M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
dont no exact amount.. you can roll them in a pretty good amount.. i just rolled them enough to where it look like it wouldn't rub
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
octainejunkee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 f80 Comp, MPE, stage 1

as you are in the 1m section... why not buy some 1M front fenders from bmw and look out for a 1m bumper off ebay. the rears can be pulled and metal added too to match?
Appreciate 0